Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H Tower
    any news from Take2?
    Nope. Nada, zilch, zip. I'll try something else this week.

Comment

*Crosses fingers*
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Civ2 for the N-gage!?

July 29, 2005 - If you're an N-Gage owner, you probably already know that the most revered world building sim is on its way to Nokia's portable game system/cell phone hybrid. ....

....Add to that the fact that Nokia and developer Gryphondale Studios are completely overhauling the game's menu systems for N-Gage use, and we'll most likely end up with one of the most compelling handheld re-makes in a long time.....

Hmmm, at first glance this does seem to indicate the original sourcecode might still exist. Although it's possible they've just taken the original graphics and SFX and (re)build their own code.
        Last edited by CapTVK; August 6, 2005, 05:25.
        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

N-Gage and N-Gage QD are damn ugly phones and are larger than for instance Nintendo's handheld gaming devices, so not like I would want the phone just for the sake of playing Civ II on the go.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Well, I haven't made any progress with Take Two. Right now I'm ready to pass the petition on to someone else. Any takers?

Comment

Well, not trying to be too pessimistic, but IMHO the version you sent lacked some touch. I know that I might be repetitive, but clearly we're missing the point what they're interested most in is copyright, piracy and money. The trinity which is the only block for making the source code accessible. That's why I was looking to see more included about the licensing and to elaborate how it benefits them or at least doesn't hurt them. We aren't of course software lawyers, but when you push for something like this, you need a clear vision and action plan. That includes legal issues too, which can always be downplayed with the choice of words, etc. to underline that it's more of a non player issue, but that we have some suggestions regarding it. Not trying to say it's not okay, but more like saying it could have been more catchy and convincing. Also some other areas might have needed to be abit more precise.

One major issue is also the lack of noteworthy individuals backing the pledge. Couldn't see Dan or Markos having a say.

Basically we now market to them that "we want the code, you sort out how." To start a dialog, we need a professional business touch to it, as we aren't trying to convince a bunch of coders, but CEO level personnel. Not just e-mail, but at the very best face-to-face meetings with the parties involved. Establishing contacts, etc. But as this isn't really possible for us, we need to focus on our message and what we can offer in exchange of the code. For instance, let's say we can in exchange think Take 2 r0xx0rz my s0xx and that's why I will from now on only buy games released by them. Well, maybe not literally, but you get the drift.
              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Well I'm ok with you having a go with it. I'll have to consult Sezon over at civ.org.pl as a good portion of the list is his, just to make sure things are kosher. The noteworthy individuals might be hard to come by. I know that CivFan denied my request and Markos, as I recall, didn't want to sign because of the concerns over Civ4.

But hey, knock yourself out. I'll contact Sezon.

Comment

Ok, contacted Sezon, gave him the lowdown. Rasbelin I'll PM you his email so you guys can talk.

Comment

Harry you have been a good stick in all this, your efforts are appreciatted
                    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Thanks Paddy. Hopefully the next guy can make some headway. I am just to busy with work and life to do this at a steady rate.

Comment

Still, we've come a very far away during the process. This petition wouldn't have come as far without your efforts. So two thumbs up for Harry!
                        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Indeed. I second TVK.

However, Harry, not sure what I'm supposed to contact Sezon about?

Comment

Well you are willing to take over the petition, right?

Comment

Ok, since Rasbelin seems to not want to do this, since he has not responded in nearly a month, Yoshi, from CivFan has decided to give it a try. I sent him the stuff a few days ago and he is supposed to make all the necessary contacts.

Comment

I have not made any statement, what so ever, to take over any responsebilities related to this petition. Please understand this. I don't like getting a handful of PMs just because of voicing my opinion, which I already have received.

Comment

Working...
                                X