X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Unit Graphics

"That most unfortunate war, which I deeply deplore."
    - Emperor Hirohito

Please share all your WW2 unit graphics in this thread.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

SM 79 Sparviero

Ok, I'm the first to re-upload a ww2 unit. Here's my Savoia-Marchetti SM 79 Sparviero: the standard italian torpedo-bomber.
    Attached Files

Comment

i'm second!
      a pile of ww2 units
      Attached Files
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Two French tanks- the Somua 35, regarded as the best medium tank of its time, and the Char B1.

Amalgamation of fairline, Steph, Eivind and Catfish. Not forgetting Captain Nemo and Anzac, of course.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by typhoon; April 23, 2005, 11:47.

Comment

Actually your units bring up a good point Typhoon (I would address you by your real name buy I have no idea what it is ). In the units I have been posting so far I've been using the old MGE pallet out of fairness to the many players who have not switched to ToT. However, do you think that perhaps now is the time to deluge the forum with so many ToT style units that we convince every last player on the earth to convert? Or is there still a place MGE units from humble unit makers like yourself and me?

Comment

Great modding there, typhoon!

EDIT: I've complimented those Italian bobmers before, Justinianum, but I'll do it again. Great job!
            Last edited by Eivind IV; April 23, 2005, 15:31.
            Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarsstock
              Actually your units bring up a good point Typhoon (I would address you by your real name buy I have no idea what it is ). In the units I have been posting so far I've been using the old MGE pallet out of fairness to the many players who have not switched to ToT. However, do you think that perhaps now is the time to deluge the forum with so many ToT style units that we convince every last player on the earth to convert? Or is there still a place MGE units from humble unit makers like yourself and me?
              Hmm, I don't think anyone appreciates being forced into something against his/her will. However, much has already been done by others (e.g. fairline and curt) to convince that TOT is the way to go. Since I haven't worked on a scenario before, I can't speak on whether or not TOT is a better tool than MGE for scenario work. Graphics-wise though its much superior and goes a long way into making Civ resemble a contemporary game. Perhaps we could have a debate here, with those who have worked on both (Curt and Steph) and the ones who remain steadfast to good old MGE (Eivind, care to comment?) offeing their opposing viewpoints.

Either way, your units are good no matter what format they're in, and that's what counts.

Comment

Well, I thank you for the compliment but I can assure you nobody wants to force anything down someone's throat. Rather, I'm still trying to get a beat on the pulse of the Civ II community and if the great shift over to ToT is indeed a reality or more just a passing fad.

I agree that a formal debate might be the best way to find out where the community is heading. I know for a fact there are quite afew who remain devoted to MGE.

Comment

Ehm, ToT isn't available for mac

Comment

@ Typhoon: Great amalgamation, man

Comment

Originally posted by typhoon
                      (Eivind, care to comment?)
                      I have no good reasons, really. Graphics wise, sure TOT is better. But I don't really care much for graphics, and I think it amazing how goodlooking one can make a unit with only 256 colours. I need not go into specifics, Fairline has proven this many o times. Event wise, sure it is better. And more units and some extra small abilities is not something to scorn. But mostly the reason for sticking to MGE is really that I know it has a bigger audience. Not everyone has TOT. And not only people who post on the SL play scenarios. Besides, I know MGE in and out, and it's something familiar. I like that. TOT is new and scary I certainly won't be foreced over to TOT, as for me Civ2 is all about amusement. And right now I enjoy myself with MGE. I'm just waiting for the source code to be released for MGE. If it doesn't, I don't know how much longer I'll bother making scenarios...
                      Last edited by Eivind IV; April 23, 2005, 15:28.
                      Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Everyone should use the version of CIV that they feel they get the best results with.

Looks are not all, but good fun gameplay too. Graphics are a jewel
                        in the crown, but a good conquest or empire-builder is pure gold.

ToT, or MGE whatever cranks the gears of the players!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Curt, you avatars are getting better and better

Comment

Originally posted by Sarsstock
                            Rather than have the artist to be forced to make units in MGE or ToT format, they should just post whichever format they prefer... It's not much of a hassle to replace the pallette, and recolour in the case it looks too bad, and there are numerous skilled artists who can do it upon request if the person can't do it himself.
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Of course, no debate would be necessary if some of the great code writers on this forum could finally get access to the source code and allow ToT style graphics to exist in the MGE enviroment. I still have faith it will happen soon, possibly in the next year or so.

Whats also surprising is how so many people on this thread jumped on my suggestion as some sort of act of forcing ToT upon players, an interesting thought except nobody, especially me ever suggested it. Sorry N35t0r but that wasn't even close to what I was saying . I was talking about an effort between some designers to show people the advantages that ToT have over MGE, of which there are many. I'm sorry to see that so many respectable forum members misunderstood what I said and took it to mean I was supporting an undemocratic forced conversion to ToT. In any case, arists have to be free to create whatever style they wish of course, and I'd certainly take issue with any forum member who disagreed.
                              Last edited by Sarsstock; April 23, 2005, 22:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X