Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally playing a game with the AU Mod (1.07)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally playing a game with the AU Mod (1.07)

And I just had to tip my hat to everybody that made it what it is. This is outstanding.

On the negative side, I wasn't too thrilled to see the unit support reduction for Republic, but I do understand the reasoning and it's slowly growing on me (i.e., making me actually consider going Commie or Fascist, and thus opening up a new aspect of the game ).

On the positive side... everything else. What's really jumped out at me are a few things:

1. The army setup not only helps with AI armies (none yet in my game, unfortunately, but I'm going on everybody else's comments), it also has changed my army views quite a bit, for the better. For instance, I've created a few infantry armies, which I considered anathema unless in dire circumstances under stock rules. They're fun.

2. You guys actually made infantry and guerillas an offensive threat. I'm currently marching through Portugal with three stacks of guerillas/artillery/infantry in a 2:2:1 ratio, and loving every minute of it. This also freed me up in the early game to build more swords and MI. Of course, my early lack of horses had something to do with that , but I didn't have the same ambivalence each time I built a slowmover that I get with stock, and even continued to build a few once I had relieved Rome of her horses, keeping the upgrade in mind. On that note, kudos also for turning the crusader into a useful unit in the industrial era, instead of a useless-fort-builder.

3. Longevity . This was highly useful when Babylon popped an SGL and stole Universal Suffrage from me by a single turn.

4. The cavalry split makes Nationalism a worthwhile research consideration, instead of one I automatically bypass and wait for the AI to research.

Of course, all the more subtle considerations (such as increased value for entertainers) has led to what feels like stouter AIs around me, but that's harder to pinpoint. All in all, great job on making it a better game without losing any of the feel of stock (which bit me when I moved a curragh across a sea tile, saw it run out of movement and remembered I was playing the AU mod. Fortunately, it survived. ). I'm pretty sure once I get the extended city name lists put in, I'll be playing this one exclusively over stock.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Re: Finally playing a game with the AU Mod (1.07)

Originally posted by Solomwi
    ...(which bit me when I moved a curragh across a sea tile, saw it run out of movement and remembered I was playing the AU mod. Fortunately, it survived. )...
    That is one of the few things that still bites me too. Happily, for ony one Curraugh's move though.

Regarding the extended city names thing, I had meant to mention that recently. Why has it not been implemented?
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

No idea, but I can have it done within the hour and posted, if others are interested. It'll just be one of the downloadable lists, but it will do in the meantime if the panel decides to give it the same fine scrutiny the rest of the game got.

Btw, how do Fascism and Communism play with the SPHQ moved? I'm seriously considering branching my game at some point to compare the three, but that's an awful lot of effort for what I'm sure is already knowledge on hand here.

Comment

Just under the hour.

Comment

Wrong button. Meant to attach the file.
          Attached Files

Comment

I shot a PM to alexman about it too.
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Excellent. Whether or not it ever becomes "canon", I prefer it to "Berlin 2" during the REX phase, and it should at least serve as a viable alternative.

Btw, I know it's probably been pointed out several times over, but it just hit me that the AU Mod makes your great sig line obsolete.

Comment

An extended city list was in the PTW version of the AU mod, but it never got proposed for the C3C version.

Feel free to open a discussion thread.

Comment

Btw, I know it's probably been pointed out several times over, but it just hit me that the AU Mod makes your great sig line obsolete.
                  Yes, true... but the principle remains, and thus, I live in a dream world where I can construct a 3xBerserk+Spec Force Army, with amphib, airdrop, and spec capabilities! :

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                    An extended city list was in the PTW version of the AU mod, but it never got proposed for the C3C version.

Feel free to open a discussion thread.
                    Eh, I was just planning on tossing it out there in case anybody wanted it, since there are no material changes, but I guess I should defer to proper protocol.

T, even better, a world whyere you have to deal with the AI's 3xBerserk+Spec Force Army, with amphib, airdrop, and spec capabilities.

Comment

T, even better, a world whyere you have to deal with the AI's 3xBerserk+Spec Force Army, with amphib, airdrop, and spec capabilities.
                      /me prays to the Civ4 godz.

Comment

Seems like a simple enough problem to fix, assuming the current structure remains in place (change AI coding from "do not add to army if MPArmy>MPUnit" to "do not add to army if MPArmy>MPUnit+1"). That doesn't address the Berserks lack of airdrop and other capabilities or the lack of army airdrop capability, but you never know.

Comment

Re: Finally playing a game with the AU Mod (1.07)

I'm pretty sure once I get the extended city name lists put in, I'll be playing this one exclusively over stock.
                          ...except for LA3, of course.
                          "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

Oh, but of course. I should have specified single-player.

Comment

Working...
                            X