Help on Gated community idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on Gated community idea

I play a lot of Ages Of Empire and sometimes I use a scenario where I have a large walled area and fend off several tough ai's

I was thinking of something along the same lines in CTP

Any ideas how I could accomplish this?

A Few possibilities are:

A-Edit a map where I have an Island and surround by mountainous terrain and deep ocean water

B-Look into the terrain and see if I could make certain terrain impassable until a certain age or terraforming ability

C-If possible could a "Gate" be used/implemented at a mountain pass? (Like a Zone of Control checkpoint) where units only for that civ could pass through?

Just trying to come up with something..brainstorming sort of

Thanks

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Impassable terrain is another one of those things it's easier to do in CTP2 (see the war of the ring scenarion, which used it effectively).

In CTP you have to emulate impassable terrain by undoing the movement of any unit that moves onto it, which is a little messy, and the AI probably wouldn't cope with it.

I think the biggest problem with this idea is that it's not easy to prevent the AIs fighting amongst themselves...

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
      Impassable terrain is another one of those things it's easier to do in CTP2 (see the war of the ring scenarion, which used it effectively).

In CTP you have to emulate impassable terrain by undoing the movement of any unit that moves onto it, which is a little messy, and the AI probably wouldn't cope with it.

I think the biggest problem with this idea is that it's not easy to prevent the AIs fighting amongst themselves...
      What I have been mulling over is this:

Make a big map 25 civs

and set me on a secluded gated er ugh MOUNTAIN lined Island

Then

Make deep ocean tiles like a moat around it

BUT

at several points makes like an Island Chain so the AI can still navigate to get to me and well Ill let ya all know how it fairs

Just trying to mix em up (ideas for varying game play that is)

Ill share how it turns out once I do it

Gramps

Comment

Probably the easiest way to make the mountains unpassable is to remove the MOVEMENT_TYPE_MOUNTAIN flag from all units. Unfortunatly I don't see a way to remove the ability of building roads on mountains.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
          Probably the easiest way to make the mountains unpassable is to remove the MOVEMENT_TYPE_MOUNTAIN flag from all units. Unfortunatly I don't see a way to remove the ability of building roads on mountains.

-Martin
          That would be an idea..for the ai would have to build sea tunnels first to get to me before buildings roads,railroads or maglevs..

Thanks for the reply Martin

Gramps

Comment

Check out my flat map support mod, that's included in the Med Mod (I guess I need to add it to the Directory one of these days...) -- it creates a double row of indestructible units on the sides of a map. You could do the same thing here, but remove those units when you no longer need them.
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
              Check out my flat map support mod, that's included in the Med Mod (I guess I need to add it to the Directory one of these days...) -- it creates a double row of indestructible units on the sides of a map. You could do the same thing here, but remove those units when you no longer need them.
              so I would d/ the med mod and it has it there?

thanks fer helping

Gramps

Comment

I'll make it a little easier for you, here's the version that works on the original game (to see how it works, just unzip and start as a scenario. You'll find the units on the side egdes of the map.

You can modify it for your scenario by adapting scenario.slc, but you may need my help for that. Just try it out first and see if this is the kind of thing you're looking for.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's the custom version, which may be useful if you want to encorporate this into an existing scenario/mod. See readme for instructions on how to do so.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a bunch Locutus

I will try sometime today

Ill let ya know how it works

Gramps

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann Unfortunatly I don't see a way to remove the ability of building roads on mountains.
                      Just in case anyone is still modding this game:

This can easily be done by editing the terrain.txt file. Just remove the "ENV_ROAD1", "ENV_ROAD2", and "ENV_ROAD3" entries underneath the terrain you wish to prevent road building on (or "ENV_CANAL_TUNNEL" for ocean tiles).

Comment

Working...
                      X