Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Is Higher? Atlantic Ocean Or Pacific Ocean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Is Higher? Atlantic Ocean Or Pacific Ocean?

Normaly I would answer that they are the same as they are both at sealevel.
    In my daughter's social studies book on the Panama Canal it has a drawing of the canal showing the locks and how it works.

I Swear it shows the Pacific Ocean higher than the Atlantic ocean

access the textbook online, go to www.tx.owt.glencoe.com
    type in username OWTTX, password chUth9thaW

Go to Unit 7
    chapter 21
    page 562-563

It can vary due to tidal differences, which will be larger on the Pacific side. That doesn't answer your question though.

I find it more amusing that you go east to west to pass from the west to east of the isthmus.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Thinking about it a moment, different heights at either end would be present due to the spin of the Earth making sea level higher on the end nearer the equator. i.e the southern end which is the Pacific side.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Which Is Higher? Atlantic Ocean Or Pacific Ocean?

Originally posted by Docfeelgood
        Normaly I would answer that they are the same as they are both at sealevel.
        In my daughter's social studies book on the Panama Canal it has a drawing of the canal showing the locks and how it works.

I Swear it shows the Pacific Ocean higher than the Atlantic ocean

access the textbook online, go to www.tx.owt.glencoe.com
        type in username OWTTX, password chUth9thaW

Go to Unit 7
        chapter 21
        page 562-563
        It's because they have to go over a big hill called land.

Comment

It's hard to dig a canal all the way to sea level the whole way, so they build the locks going up until they get to the middle at which point the locks go down again. At least, that's what I'd guess as the reason.

Comment

You guys aren't looking at the picture. There's an inset in it that shows the atlantic on one side and the pacific on the other of the canal. It has a line that says "Level of the Atlantic" and it is slightly under that of the Pacific.

That's hard to imagine though. I question whether its true.
            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

lets consult the torah code!
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

The Arctic is also lower than the Pacific.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

And the Username and password doesn't work anymore.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    It's hard to dig a canal all the way to sea level the whole way, so they build the locks going up until they get to the middle at which point the locks go down again. At least, that's what I'd guess as the reason.
                    yeah an they may have had a lake in the middle. Or was that the suez?

I never crossed the Panama canal in a navy ship, but I've crossed the Suez many times (which has no locks).

But yes I've always known one is higher than the other. I can't remember which- Pacific I think. I never knew the reason for that though. And it's weird when you think all the world's oceans are connected near Antartica (except for the artic ocean )

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                      yeah an they may have had a lake in the middle. Or was the the suez.
                      No, there's definately a lake. It's why they picked the route.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                        Thinking about it a moment, different heights at either end would be present due to the spin of the Earth making sea level higher on the end nearer the equator. i.e the southern end which is the Pacific side.
                        If that was the difficulty then there would be no need for locks, as ideally the surface of the water is an equipotential surface. Though you get further away from the earth's centre as you go toward the equator you do not have to "climb" at all.

Same thing goes for a tidal bulge.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: Re: Which Is Higher? Atlantic Ocean Or Pacific Ocean?

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

It's because they have to go over a big hill called land.
                          Actually, different seas are often at different levels. There are geological and meteorological forces which have the tendency to preserve an imbalance. IIRC the Pacific is something like an average of 6 metres higher than the atlantic. They're flat on the scale of the whole planet, but on the human scale there's a measurable imbalance.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Sea level doesn't really exist. It is a theoretic tool that enables relative comparisons.

Actual sea levels fluctuate regularly, while overall the trend is ever-higher levels. That would lead us into an environmental discussion. I am not going there.

The earth's rotation, weather and seismic activity would be things that might be expected to affect sea level; as would the variable volume of displacement due to transiting alien spacecraft.

Comment

Sea level doesn't really exist. It is a theoretic tool that enables relative comparisons

Duh. Nobody ever said that every piece of the Pacific is always at the exact same level.

Do you get your rocks off stating the obvious?
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X