AU 602: Team Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU 602: Team Play

Apolyton University is a school of strategy, where students sharpen their Civ3 skills and share their experiences in a series of thematic games. When playing an Apolyton University game, gaining and sharing knowledge is more important than getting a high score, or even winning the game. Participants are encouraged to share their strategy during and after the game, and even to try several attempts.

There have been more than two dozen AU games to date, and the latest AU game is the second foray into multi-player Civ (see AU History 101 for an overview and links to all AU materials). AU 602 is a six-player, all human PBEM, and is being offered in two formats:

1. 'Locked' alliances: Each game shall have 3 teams of 2 players each. Players are to select their teammates and which of the three culture pairs that are offered (i.e., Europe, Asia, and the Middle East). While not actually 'locked' in-game, the team mates are expected to stay allied throughout. Further, teams have the choice of playing as PBEM with a 'locked' alliance, succession, or mini-DG; this should be disclosed in their first DAR. Victory is achieved when a team's combined land and population reach 75%, or via any of the other default victory conditions.

2. Free-for-all ("FFA"): Each game shall have six players. We are still interested in the politics, mechanics, and strategies... and dissolution ( )... of teaming throughout the game. Default victory conditions apply.

* Theme: Coordination. Seriously. How do partners advise and coach each other? How do they leverage the strengths (and minimize weaknesses) that they each have, whether it's their civs, UUs, terrain, location, etc.? On that note, I think it'd be kinda neat if each team were to be composed of a newer player and a hoary old hand. BTW, I am anticipating that MP / PBEM is going to be a stronger factor in Civ4 (at least compared to the initial release of Civ3 )... let's get ready!

* The available civs are, in order of play:
    France - COM/IND - Musketeer
    China - MIL/IND - Rider
    Persia - SCI/IND - Immortal
    Scandinavia - MIL/SEA - Berserk
    India - REL/COM - War Elephant
    Arabia - EXP/REL - Ansar

* Number of games: As many as we can fill. In addition to the participation of ALL the 'poly PBEM stalwarts ( ), we will invite players at MZO, CFC, the Ladder, RBC, the Spanish, the Germans, etc., to play.

* Administrator: Make sure things move along. Step in to play turns if necessary. Oversee replacement players if necessary. Judge, jury, and executioner if things come up and rulings need to be made. Depending on how many games, we may need more than one, but the first is Lord Nuclear, Dean of Apolyton University.

* Map / scenario: Standard, continents, 80% water, normal, temperate, 3B. Designed to provide for three primary continents, one for each team, accessible by Galleys. Not AP. Three native lux per continent, but two lux (ivory and ?) only on islands. Strat resources through saltpeter on each continent... after that? :chuckle:

* Rules: Default

* AI aggression: Normal

* Level: Monarch

* Locked alliances: None

* Team behavior: Team members may communicate anything and everything to each other, maps, screenshots, science, whatever. Non-team members may not communicate except what's available in game -- you may communicate anything that would be technically communicable in game, so once map trading is available you can give specific directions; once mil. alliance is available you may make a military alliance; once communication is open, you may discuss scientific advances. Communication with one team member is communication with both. [NOTE: Thanks to snoopy, who I quoted from "Team PBEM" for the above.] It is suggested that team members share passwords so that they can cover each other when playing turns.

* Time slots: NOT. That being said, since it's an AU course, and inter-site, I expect that more people than usual will be watching. I like the idea of team partners disclosing their passwords to each other, so they can cover playing a given turn for the team if necessary.

* Mandatory During-Action-Reports ("DARs"): This is where you'll post your exploits and strategy comments for all to see, and read those of others. However, keep in mind that these are spoiler threads, so try to finish playing each block before reading the corresponding thread. Each LA team or FFA player shall create their own thread, in the following format: 'AU602-LA1: Theseus / Vel's Euro DARs' or 'AU602-FFA1: Sir Ralph's Asian DARs'. Level of disclosure TBD as we go along... check with the Administrator if in doubt; do, however, include each player's score at the time of the DAR. Team DARs should be joint reports by the partners. Players should not read opposing team's DARs. Reporting dates are:
    - 2750bc: 25 turns, switching to 40 years/turn
    - 1750bc: 25 turns, switching to 25 years/turn
    - 1250bc: 20 turns
    - 750bc: 20 turns, switching to 20 years/turn
    - 250bc: 25 turns
    - 250ad: 25 turns, switching to 10 years/turn
    - 500ad: 25 turns
    - 750ad: 25 turns
    - 1000ad: 25 turns
    - 1250ad: 25 turns, switching to 5 years/turn
    - 1350ad: 20 turns
    - 1450ad: 20 turns
    - 1550ad: 20 turns
    - 1650ad: 20 turns
    - 1750ad: 20 turns, switching to 2 years/turn

[EDIT: Let me make this SUPER-clear: Players should NOTNOTNOT look at DARs from any but their matching civs/teams in other games, and not at any point DARs that are further along than their own game.]

* Evil surprises: Possible? Nah, make that likely.

* Playing for money: Optional.

Please note that PBEM games are a long-term commitment. We are hoping that all of the games will be speedy and consistent; where necessary, the Administrator will step in.

Alright, let's get people signing up!! I'm waiting for Sir Ralph to generate the map, but we can start getting organized in the meantime.

Note: If you're interested, the pre-game set-up thread is here:
    Last edited by Theseus; April 7, 2005, 11:22.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Download for AU 602

I evidently couldn't edit an old post to include an attachment; the initial save is here:

Last edited by Theseus; April 8, 2005, 23:14.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Signing up

Please post in this thread:

1. Whether you want to be in an alliance or FFA game.

2. If alliance, who you have or would like as a partner. If possible, teams should include a mix of experience levels.

3. What level do you typically play at in SP?

4. Pick one word: Builder, Warmonger, Warbuilder, Micromanager, Diplomat, Roleplayer, Evil Genius (OK, that’s two words), Banana

5. What civ(s) you’d like to play.

6. If you are not primarily an Apolyton poster, what site is your home?

Once we have a fair number of participants lined up, Lord Nuclear and I will figure out how to set up the games, including balancing teams/players from different sites.

Comment

Games and Players

As of 09Apr05:

Last edited by Theseus; April 9, 2005, 17:36.

Comment

Theseus, you are playing, right?

Comment

Inter-site Invitations

FYI, this is what Lord Nuclear and I will be sending to the other sites:

We at Apolyton kindly greet you.

Over time, we have built a school for Civilization. Apolyton University is a school of strategy, where students sharpen their Civ3 skills and share their experiences in a series of thematic games. When playing an Apolyton University game, gaining and sharing knowledge is more important than getting a high score, a fast finish, or even winning the game. Participants are encouraged to share their strategy after the game, and even to try several attempts.

As time has passed, we have seen a natural decline in single player activity, but also an ongoing core of stalwarts in regards to multi-player, especially in the PBEM format. Accordingly, we have chosen that our latest course, perhaps the last for Civ3, be such.

This course will be 'AU 602 - Team Play'. We think that this will be valuable, in that Civ4 will likely be more so oriented around MP. We would like to see the broadest possible participation in this course, including inter-site activity. All past rivalries, face-offs, grudges, etc., should be forgiven (we hope)... let's have some fun with it. FYI, we are inviting participants from 10+ sites other than Apolyton, as well as Firaxis (although they are probably a tad busy with Civ4).

The 'poly link is here:

Come... to quote, "Let's PLAY!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
              Theseus, you are playing, right?
              You betcha!! Locked alliance. I've sent out an invitation for a partner too... I want to wait on him (I think he's a him) before determining culture group and style of alliance play.

Comment

I'd feel guilty if I didn't sign up. I'll take any partner you've got. SP I range from Emp to Deity, depending on what I wanna do. If I'm playing a "serious" game with no variant, definitely Deity. I know it says one word, but Builder, Micromanager and Banana are all good for me. Any civ. My home is probably CFC in terms of postcount, but I frequent there, here, MZO, CDZ and SE.
                "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

I propose we relax the suggestion that teams should be composed of a veteran and a newbie, and just let people select whomever they want as partners.

This will add a competitive element to this course that I think is essential if we are to generate widespread, inter-site interest. Furthermore, it will probably reduce the chance that the more experienced player will simply take over both civs and make all the relevant decisions.

The learning component of the course will still be present in the mandatory open DARs. To this end, I suggest that DARs only be "closed" to other teams in the same game up to three DARs back; for instance, once all teams complete their fourth DAR, the first ones become available for perusal by the opposing teams.
                  And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Re: Signing up

Originally posted by Theseus
                    1. Whether you want to be in an alliance or FFA game.
                    Alliance, but see my post above concerning selection of teammates.

2. If alliance, who you have or would like as a partner. If possible, teams should include a mix of experience levels.
                    I will be contacting some people shortly...

3. What level do you typically play at in SP?
                    Deity. Sid, when I feel like trying to prove something (which rarely works!).

4. Pick one word: Builder, Warmonger, Warbuilder, Micromanager, Diplomat, Roleplayer, Evil Genius (OK, that’s two words), Banana
                    Micromanager.

5. What civ(s) you’d like to play.
                    India. I'm easy, though.

6. If you are not primarily an Apolyton poster, what site is your home?
                    Almost exclusively an Apolytoner.
                    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                      I propose we relax the suggestion that teams should be composed of a veteran and a newbie, and just let people select whomever they want as partners.

This will add a competitive element to this course that I think is essential if we are to generate widespread, inter-site interest. Furthermore, it will probably reduce the chance that the more experienced player will simply take over both civs and make all the relevant decisions.

The learning component of the course will still be present in the mandatory open DARs. To this end, I suggest that DARs only be "closed" to other teams in the same game up to three DARs back; for instance, once all teams complete their fourth DAR, the first ones become available for perusal by the opposing teams.

I think you may be right about this. Let's see what others think.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                        Oh... okay. Let the partnering commence. I, for one, will play in a locked alliance, and with a newer player.

/me was *dying* to play with Dominae or Nathan, though.

Comment

I'd like to join too. Previous game I have played with AU mod died although I was developing very good and I had a good chance to win.

Back on the topic
                          1. I prefer Alliance
                          2. No idea for a specific person
                          3. SP - stuck on Emperor, no success at Deity and I have not tried the two new difficulties yet
                          4. Micromanager
                          5. China or Persia, least desirable - Scandinavia and Arabia
                          6. Apolyton only

Comment

teaming with Dom
                            Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

posting properly so I'll get messages from the thread
                              Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X