AU 602: Team Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rommel2D
    If we post it as a scenario file, anybody will be able to view the whole map. Not that I'm worried that much about cheaters, but just setting up the Iron Civer Scenario Tests, it was hard to work with the set-up screen and not see the map. We'd need a third person to do the set up.

Also, won't the start assignments be random using a scenario? If the tribes are starting in different locations, there isn't much point to using the same map and comparing *ARs.

BTW- I wouldn't mind switching tribes to get a better order, as long as I can veto two of them...
    I'm totally confused... is there a way for the FFA game(s) to have designated/efficient turn order, and yet have the same start positions as in the LA games?
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• Friggin' six pages without starting... if we don;t get a map by tomorrow evening, I am going to drop out of play and do it myself.
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rommel2D
        If we post it as a scenario file, anybody will be able to view the whole map. Not that I'm worried that much about cheaters, but just setting up the Iron Civer Scenario Tests, it was hard to work with the set-up screen and not see the map. We'd need a third person to do the set up.

Also, won't the start assignments be random using a scenario? If the tribes are starting in different locations, there isn't much point to using the same map and comparing *ARs.

BTW- I wouldn't mind switching tribes to get a better order, as long as I can veto two of them...
        You should still be able to set the starting locations. That's always possible, just not always done. You do that by manually placing the starting units when you create the map, rather than just placing starting locations...

I don't care whether you post the scenario or not - having a 3rd party administrator to set the admin password at least makes sense anyways.

And I guess i don't see the obsession with 'same map' and *ARs that the rest of you have. You can compare how a game goes without having exactly identical setups, or in this case just without having exactly identical civs in the identical starting locations. The game changes enough by 2900, who cares who started where? For a PBEM, you should be comparing how players reacted to the general game flow, which will ALWAYS be different, especially between the FFA and the LA games. (But that's just my way of thinking, i suspect. I'm never much for DARs or comparisons, anyways. I also like AP ... )
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Order for the FFA game, I think:

Snoopy (evening ET) (CDT)
          Swissy (late evening ET) (CDT?)
          Platy Rex (later evening ET) (PDT)
          Krill (mid-day ET) (GMT+1)
          Aeson (aft to evening ET) (MDT)
          Rommel (aft to evening ET) (CDT)

IS this logical? Aeson i'm not as sure about posting time, just making a guess, but he seems active enough.

Also could be

Snoopy or Rommel
          Rommel or Snoopy
          Platy
          Krill
          Swissy
          Aeson

if Aeson prefers a slightly later playing time. I play pretty much the same general time as Rommel, >6pm EDT roughly, from what I recall, being before and after him in games and usually either way we both get turns done quickly (if i'm not busy with FG or work )

Comment

• Further, if you don't like the nonrandom start locations, start an LA game first (with randomish start locations), and then see who gets what start location, and then manually place the FFA game (and any other LA game where you want to adjust starting order) in the same positions.

(I'm suggesting setting a settler and a worker, not a scout as that's automatic with Exp. and not part of the starting package, on the starting location; it 'owns' the starting location once a unit is put on it from its culture. Then cut the starting units in the scenario down to 0, and continue - it's just the same thing.)

Comment

• if we don;t get a map by tomorrow evening, I am going to drop out of play and do it myself.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Then who will play with the me??
              They'll probibly just leave me alone on one of those islands... "Fend for yourself Newb! Eep.

Just kidding... but seriously... .... I dont want it to come to that.

I have never done it before... (although I dont know how much skill is involved) BUT I would throw my hand up to make the map while dropping out if ya'll want. We'll all figure this out...

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                And I guess i don't see the obsession with 'same map' and *ARs that the rest of you have. You can compare how a game goes without having exactly identical setups, or in this case just without having exactly identical civs in the identical starting locations. The game changes enough by 2900, who cares who started where? For a PBEM, you should be comparing how players reacted to the general game flow, which will ALWAYS be different, especially between the FFA and the LA games. (But that's just my way of thinking, i suspect. I'm never much for DARs or comparisons, anyways. I also like AP ... )
                It's certainly not an obsession for me- I'll play regardless. It just seems like the only reasons for linking a number of games together is either if they are part of a larger tournament with mutiple rounds, or if the various games are being compared with action reports. What would any of the AU courses have been if the participants had not shared identical starting positions? Just general strategy discussions I'd think. The makeup of the map gives us a common reference to how players approach the game- a 'frame' to house the design that players set out to draw. Game flow is more meaningful if it stems from the same source.
                Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Order for the FFA game, I think:

FYI- I've been corrupted by Paddy and no longer have a structured play (work) schedule.

Also, I think this Daylight Savings Time is a bunch of hooey, so I'm not participating this year...

Comment

• That's something I really didn't think of before signing up.

If you want to tweak the playtimes, it would be best to let someone with a more stable schedual take my slot. I can usually get playtime sometime in a 24h period (not always), but when varies drastically. To illustrate, within the past 2 weeks I have gone to sleep and woken up on virtually every hour on the clock.

I can keep up with slow PBEMs like the PTWDG, but I wouldn't want to keep everyone waiting.

Comment

Order for the FFA game, I think:

IS this logical? Aeson i'm not as sure about posting time, just making a guess, but he seems active enough.

Also could be

Snoopy or Rommel
                      Rommel or Snoopy
                      Platy
                      Krill
                      Swissy
                      Aeson
                      This works for the Mighty Platypi
                      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson
                        I can keep up with slow PBEMs like the PTWDG, but I wouldn't want to keep everyone waiting.
                        A precise schedule can make for some super-quick PBEMs but isn't necessary. If you have 15 minutes two or three times a day, you can easily be among the fastest players. The Iron Civer had a 24 hour turn limit, and all four first-round games finished in a timely manner. If you can usually check for a turn when you get up, before going to bed, and maybe in the middle of the day sometimes, there will be no problems at all. Just as long as it doesn't slip by for 48 hours regularly. East-West time zones is the best default approach, but not the last word in scheduling.

Comment

Also could be

Snoopy or Rommel
                          Rommel or Snoopy
                          Platy
                          Krill
                          Swissy
                          Aeson
                          This is the default order (with Aeson on top), so we don't have a conflict for the FFA game, right?

Comment

• OK, first thing, it turns out that both Sir Ralph and BFM are too tied up in real life to get this map done right away... thanks be to the Civ godz, vulture has volunteered, and says he can get it done tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

• Here's what I've got for teams and play order:

Comment

• Ooops, here is the pic:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X