Damned Shaky Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damned Shaky Cam

It seems that every movie or show I've seen lately is infected with shakycam shots.

Do film schools in America have Shakycam 101 courses?

Blair Witch is probably responsible. That great string of dripping snot that the general herd loved with a passion. Thanks to Blair Witch, the current generation of directors seem determined to keep the shakycam technique alive and well.

What is the mindset behind this? Do the dopes accredit the mercenary camera work in the film with being a ticket to print money?

I think there is another reason why shakycam is so prevalent in films: it is cheaper to shake the damn camera about wildly during action scenes, than it is to construct coordinated stunt sequences.

The Chronicles of Riddick was extremely guilty of this flaw. Why go to the expense and trouble of filming a dramatic action scene, when you can just stun the audience into believing great fight is unfolding with strobe lights and shakycam?

I decided to give the new Battlestar Galactica show a chance the other night, and within minutes shakycam had reared its ugly head. It wasn't even during an action scene: the wobbly camera and abrupt closeups had nothing more to track than a stationary group of people in dialogue. People love this **** over Enterprise? WHY FOR GOD'S SAKE?

Hopefully directors like Tarantino will inspire the next generation of film makers to return to a more sophisticated art of film production.
    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

"If i'd wanted all that computer game bull****, I'd have gone home and stuck my dick in my Nintendo" -- Tarantino

Apparently he thinks that CGI will be the death knell of cinema and I'm inclined to agree.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Shakycam is but a cold to the cancer of CGI.
      Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
        "If i'd wanted all that computer game bull****, I'd have gone home and stuck my dick in my Nintendo" -- Tarantino

Apparently he thinks that CGI will be the death knell of cinema and I'm inclined to agree.

I'm thinking one trick pony directors who make, ah, 'homages', to Hong Kong and Japanese cinema might be.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

I'm thinking one trick pony directors who make, ah, 'homages', to Hong Kong and Japanese cinema might be.
          I'm thinking you might be out of your pretty little mind
          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous

I'm thinking you might be out of your pretty little mind

Oh thank you, for thinking it's pretty.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
            X