X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Alberta RCMP officers killed during raid

Four Alberta RCMP officers killed during raid

CTV.ca News Staff

Four police officers are dead after conducting a raid on a marijuana grow operation northwest of Edmonton on Thursday.

At approximately 10 a.m. MT, a shootout broke out between police and a male suspect at a farmhouse in Rochfort Bridge near the community of Mayerthorpe, about 130 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.

Alberta Solicitor General Harvey Cenaiko says the officers were executing a search warrant when they were met with gunfire.

RCMP spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes confirms that the officers were conducting an investigation at a rural residence. He said there was reason to believe a lone male suspect was armed with a high-powered rifle.

RCMP Commanding Officer Bill Sweeney says a fifth person was killed at the scene, though he wouldn't confirm it was the gunman.

In an early evening news conference from Mayerthorpe, Sweeney said: "As you can well imagine, the loss of four police officers is unprecedented in recent history in Canada. . . . It's devastating."

He added that not since the Northwest Rebellion of 1885 have so many police officers been killed in the line of duty.

The RCMP has not released the names of the deceased officers, as they are still in the process of notifying family members. Sweeney said three of the officers were based in Mayerthorpe, and one was from Whitecourt, Alberta.

In a statement, Prime Minister Paul Martin said:

"On behalf of the Government of Canada, I would like to express my condolences to the families of the officers who were killed as they carried out their duty in enforcing the law and protecting the public.

"At this moment of difficulty and loss, you are in our thoughts and prayers."

Martin was kept informed of the developing events during phone conversations Thursday with RCMP Commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli.

The prime minister was expected to call for a moment of silence Friday before delivering a speech to the Liberal party national convention in Ottawa.

Maj. Scott Lundy, a spokesman for Edmonton Garrison, said the military received a request just after 12:30 p.m. MT from the RCMP for assistance.

He said two armoured personnel carriers, an ambulance and about 20 military personnel were dispatched from the military base shortly after that.

But about two hours later, police told the military their help was no longer needed.

Alberta Premier Ralph Klein said he was surprised and saddened that such a tragedy would occur in the quiet farming community.

"I would hope that it would serve as a lesson for all those who want to enter into something illegal not to do so," he said.
    Damn.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

In other news NYE hasn't posted today.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Sad for the guys' family, but the government shouldn't be cracking down on drugs anyway.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

NYE runs a computer business IIRC.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
          Sad for the guys' family, but the government shouldn't be cracking down on drugs anyway.
          Not that I don't agree, but I don't think this is really the time or place for that.

Comment

It's awful, but the US isn't the only country where this kind of crap happens. That's a strange feeling to feel sad and relieved that you're not alone.
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

The scene...

Comment

NYE runs a computer business IIRC.

I know. He lives up that way, though. Perhaps he will have some more info.

Can't say I'm surprised. I guess you don't expect that kind of response from crims in Canada.

It's a dangerous job and I bet that this won't lead to better money for cops.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Were they growing hydro pot?

If so, the police had no business going there without being armed to the teeth - those guys don't mess around. It's not like Uncle Joe's patch in the woods.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                    Were they growing hydro pot?

If so, the police had no business going there without being armed to the teeth - those guys don't mess around. It's not like Uncle Joe's patch in the woods.
                    You have to remember this is in Canada NW of Edmonton, I don't think the rural RCMP out there have ever dealt with this before.

It says a lot that they felt they had to call in the military to help with a single gunman.

Comment

Where I grew up, people know not to go thrashing around in the Bush. The cops go in with maximum hardware when they have to.

He must have had some gun to be able to take out four cops. Here's hoping the government doesn't skimp on the pensions for these officers' families.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

This is aweful.

When I was going to work it was being reported that 2 mounties had been wounded in a raid. When I left work I am greeted with news of 4 dead.

The word is he ambushed the 4 mounties. He was actually arrested in a raid yesterday, but was later released.

2 mounties were left to sit on the property while waiting for other investigators from Edmonton to go over the place. Rumour is there was a chop shop in addition to the grow op.

The suspect returned to his property and by that time 2 other mounties had joined the first 2 (shift change?). The guy got the drop on them with a rifle. Word is only 1 of the mounties had a chance to draw his weapon.

Very shortly afterward 2 investigators from Edmonton arrived and saw a uniformed officer on the ground. They spotted the gunman and exchanged fire. 1 of them was wounded (flown to Edmonton and is going to be OK according to reports). They reported the gunman was hit during the exchange of fire (he staggered) .

The gunman disappeared into a building (house?). The unwounded officer got his partner out.

Later on a dog and his handler found the body of a man in a closet in the building. It is being reported that was the gunman. It is unknown whether he bled to death or shot himself.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Holy ****...

Where I grew up, people know not to go thrashing around in the Bush. The cops go in with maximum hardware when they have to.
                            Well that'll near definitely be the national standard from now on, set on this precedent. In urban Alberta especially, organized crime has been recent target of the media and an increasing police force. This rural incident, once solidified in association with organized crime - will have the Province holistically apesh*t against a new foe

Al Qaeda? Nah. Hell's Angel's and Asian minority X are fast becoming the Provinces own social fear

RIP for those officers.. doing their job and picked off one by one by a hothead thug. Wow

Comment

RIP.

Comment

Working...
                              X