New to AU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to AU

Hey guys, I recently started playing an AU game at the suggestion of Theseus. I started with AU101 and I feel like it's definitely helped me develop my skills. The only real problem I noticed was that since it was created prior to the expansions it seems to have the original game rules & AI. From what I recall, the AI gets much more competent & aggressive in PTW and C3C. Was my success an illusion? How much of an undertaking would it be to redevelop the earlier AUs to reflect all the changes to the game?

The AU courses aren't like college.

There's no need to start with AU101, you can jump right in on the current one.

I think all AU 5XX courses use Conquests.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Welcome to the AU.

Comment

Welcome aboard!!

Back in the old days, , before AU, and when Civ3 first came out, I think I spent the first six months without actually completing a game... partially 'cause the end-game was kinda broken, but also in that it was my own way of learning... why play the end if I screwed up the beginning?

So, like jon says, don;t worry about the course order, but, on the other hand, you might have some fun playing the older games through mid-game, and cross-checking your results against some of the great players we have (and have had) here.... perhaps even posting some of your thoughts/questions, and giving some of us a reminder of days/turns past.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I'm also right now actually doing a lot of abandoning SP games, a lot more than I did initally, but I'm trying to test features in my mod [I used the AU mod as the baseline]. (I'd place details here except that would be a major thread jack)
          Last edited by joncnunn; February 26, 2005, 15:28.
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

From what im reading this mod has made Civ3 a much better game. I have Civ3 as well as Play The World add on. But have yet to pick up Conquest
            Didnt care to much for the diplomacy and felt that the AI ganged up to fast on human player.
            I know that this can be tweaked along with Conquest new settings . But how good is the diplomacy in this mod?

Comment

AI gangs up on anyone, human or AI considered weak. There is no "declare war on human" clause in the AI logic.

Conquests does indeed have a switch on startup to on the margins adjust the AI attitudes.

The AU Mod changed some agressiveness setting for specific races, to give more approative for the races civ traights.

Originally posted by Protra3211
              From what im reading this mod has made Civ3 a much better game. I have Civ3 as well as Play The World add on. But have yet to pick up Conquest
              Didnt care to much for the diplomacy and felt that the AI ganged up to fast on human player.
              I know that this can be tweaked along with Conquest new settings . But how good is the diplomacy in this mod?
              Templar Science Minister

Comment

Welcome to our 'band of brothers', well, and 'sisters'...
                The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

Working...
                X