Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some good games I can get for free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some good games I can get for free?

and I didn't mean pirating- that seems too risky. You get viruses doing that ****.

I mean freeware and such you can find on the web. Of course those run the risks of virus' as well. So I'd appreciate virus free games

and many of you know what I like RPG's and TBS games.

If you haven't played The Ur-Quan Masters (aka Star Control 2) do so!

http://www.liberatedgames.com/ is a collection of, well, liberated games. Some are source code only and thus can't be run without the actual game for the data files, but some are free full releases.

A TBS to watch is UFO: Alien Invasion. It's a squad TBS in a similiar vein to X-COM. There are two very promising demos out, and a third with a more updated engine is nearing completion. Nowhere near finished yet, but they're a freeware group that actually seems to be committed and making progress, which seems to be a rariety.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/ is another good and committed team that has remade the first two King's Quests and is now remaking Quest for Glory 2; but don't bother if you don't like sierra-style VGA adventures.

Comment

You know that site I'm not allowed to link to? That's a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
        You know that site I'm not allowed to link to? That's a good one.
        You mean the one with the prepositioned canines ??

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Nethack.
          Anacreon.
          Battle for Wesnoth.
          FreeCiv

These are all "community projects"

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Nethack
            He wants a good game.

Diss: there's a card game called Hoplites, it's based on a wargame called SPQR, irc. Just google it.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Oh is an awesome game too good for him?

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Nethack, awesome? Not sure we're talking about the same game here. Let's agree to disagree.
                Last edited by Nostromo; February 23, 2005, 17:18.
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Runescape can be fun. It can also get quite tedious at times too, though.
                  ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I gotta add to the Nethack love. I lost a looooooot of work hours playing that game. Very inventive and fun, and I was always quite sad if my dog died.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                      Nethack.
                      Anacreon.
                      Battle for Wesnoth.
                      FreeCiv

These are all "community projects"

-Jam

Can't argue with that (specially the last ). Wesnoth is a very good game both SP and MP. You can look up some of the older threads about wesnoth on this forum. And of course FC itself. You should try out FC 2.0 sometime, the best is still to come.

Another one I can add is Jagged Alliance 2. The source code has been released under a very friendly GPL-type language and is basically free for normal use.

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/cgi-b...?ubb=get_topic;f=39;t=000006
                      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

We can't link abandonware sites but if you go looking for abandonware, they usually rank games for quality. There are some real gems out there.
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by CapTVK

Another one I can add is Jagged Alliance 2. The source code has been released under a very friendly GPL-type language and is basically free for normal use.
                          Wow, didn't know that. Great game, though it has a steep learning curve, especially if you get no manual.

Comment

feel free to PM me what you can't post here

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                              Nethack, awesome? Not sure we're talking about the same game here. Let's agree to disagree.
                              mmm ... roguelike loooove ...

Mines of Moria - or Angband, essentially an upgrade from Moria - is a great roguelike game (ascii-graphics dungeoncrawler RPG) that is based, loosely, on Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Of course you don't have to know anything about LOTR, and there's no Frodo, Gandalf, or actually any other character except bad guys in it (as roguelike games don't have good guys, just baddies, in my experience). VERY addictive, i warn you.

http://www.thangorodrim.net/ i believe is the site for that.
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X