Farscape and BSG patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farscape and BSG patterns

The following is taken from a sci-fi discussion group. What do you guys think of the conclusions?

Hi, I'm Paul, and I'm Kevin's cousin.

My cousin is still rehabilitating from his latest surgery, but he has
    managed to see a few of the Battlestar Galactica episodes. Another
    patient's family brought in a videotape of some episodes, and a group of
    patient/fans watched it. It was their reward for making their physical
    therapy goals.

Kevin is an amazing pattern recognizer. Years back when we watched the
    first Farscape episode, he picked out the inspiration ( model) before
    the episode was half over. It was so obvious to him, that the show
    annoyed him for the first couple of episodes.

Warning, spoilers about both shows follow.

At the beginning, Farscape was the Wizard of Oz, with a Sci-Fi paint job:

John Criton ( Dorothy) gets sucked through a wormhole ( tornado), and
    his ship ( her house) crashes ( drops) on the sibling of an "evil
    powerful person ( the witch/peacekeeper starship captain). Rigel is
    Toto, and the hover chair is his "basket". Erin Sun is the tin-woman,
    Count Da-ago is the cowardly lion, and the the plant lady is the
    scarecrow. Sometimes these three played against type ( Erin might be
    the scarecrow in an episode).

Here is what he told me about Battlestar Galactica earlier today. I'm
    going by memory, so I hope I don't mess part of it up.

He said that the answer to "what BSG is modeled on" is the opening lines
    of each episode, and the first complete episode he saw confirmed it.

The Cylons were created by Man. ( the often heard claim that Islamic
    fundamentalist terrorists were created by the crimes of the "the
    west"/infidels)

They Rebelled. ( threw the Soviets out of Afghanistan, and other
    attempts to set up fundamentalist states)

You can come up with earlier "crimes" in history to use in the above two
    lines.

They Evolved. ( became Bin Laden's organization)

They Look and Feel Human. ( nice bit of moral and social relativism,
    beyond the fact that in real life all are humans )

Some are programmed to think they are Human. ( terrorists trained to
    "pass" in the West/infidel world).

There are many copies. ( many sleeper/terror cells)

And they have a Plan. ( Bin Laden's plan to destroy the west, establish
    new caliphate, and so on)

The new BSG is the War on Terror, with a Sci-Fi paintjob.

The destruction of the twelve colonies in the miniseries was a fictional
    exaggeration of the attack on 9/11.

I asked him about the gods/lords versus singular god of the cylons, and
    this is what he said.

The lords/gods of the 12 colonies represent the pluralistic ( tolerant)
    world ( the nations around the world where Christians, Buddhists,
    Moslems and all the other faiths get along).

The singular god of the cylons is fundamentalist Islam's intolerance of
    other faiths ( infidels); convert or die.

Each episode explores at least one quandary the West faces in the War on
    Terrorism.

The one blond cylon ghost in the doctor's mind ( letting him retreat to
    the "good old days" on the main colony) is the promise of paradise ( the
    you'll sit in a oasis eating dates with a whole bunch of young beautiful
    virgins to take care of your physical needs).

He has not seen the latest episode yet that deals with the doctor's
    initial conversion to the "one true cylon faith", but it confirms his model.

This is the start of exploring the "what does the West do about
    Fundamentalist Islam converting the West's citizens/residents" quandary.

The episode when the two pilots have to decide to shoot a passenger
    starship down or not, is the "incoming hijacked 747" scenario that real
    life military pilots and politicians dread having to make.

The episode with the tribunal was less subtle than the others, but was
    consistent with the model. The real life quandaries about witch hunts,
    profiling, privacy rights, stretching/breaking laws or rights and so on.

The episode with the actor from the original series, the speech that
    actor raises is some of the same points Bin-Laden and others make about
    restoring Saudi Arabia to "proper government" ( throw out the "western
    puppets"), and other "fixes" they think the middle east needs, as well
    as the justification for terrorist actions.

The whole "I read your book even though it was illegal" is all the ways
    Bin Laden gets his ideas out to the world via the web, videotapes, and
    the one arab tv satellite channel, even if governments try to prevent it
    through normal channels.

Also in that episode, water for the ships modeled oil needed by western
    society.

With this start, I'm sure you'll spot the rest of the War on Terror in
    the other episodes.
    Last edited by Pax; February 28, 2005, 23:17.
    What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
    What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Interesting.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

unless it's in the hands of Bill Clinton
        What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
        What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

I think you mean Monica Lewinsky.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Im sure if you thought long and hard about it you could draw a parrallel between any tv show and anything else that you wanted.

Comment

Course, the BSG pattern is an after the fact patter, since BSG largely follows the original story line, which took place well before Islamic terrorism was a problem (the Arab nationalist terroism was).
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                Course, the BSG pattern is an after the fact patter, since BSG largely follows the original story line, which took place well before Islamic terrorism was a problem (the Arab nationalist terroism was).
                Yeah I was going to point that out.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Well, it's a fact that the Producer/Writer was influenced by the events of 9/11. He has been qouted saying so. No need to debate that. The question is whether or not he's using the model/structure mentioned above.

Comment

Without knowing BSG - I think it is about WWII. Cylons are either Japanese or Germans
                    Blah

Comment

I always scoff when people try to fit these patterns onto fiction. While I don't disagree that they may be there, I doubt a screenwriter just sits down, says to himself "I'm going to remake the War on Terror - IN SPACE!" and gets started. More likely than not the stuff arises from the mind on its own - besides, themes of subversion, temptation, witchhunts etc. are old stuff, history has that habit of repeating itself, so I don't honestly believe these "patterns" are the result of any conscious decision. It's just art building upon other art and actual events.
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

i wish i could watch BSG. It's on sci-fi, isn't it? sucks, 'cause i don't have cable... and the torrent sites I usually go to don't have them.
                        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                          I always scoff when people try to fit these patterns onto fiction. While I don't disagree that they may be there, I doubt a screenwriter just sits down, says to himself "I'm going to remake the War on Terror - IN SPACE!" and gets started. More likely than not the stuff arises from the mind on its own - besides, themes of subversion, temptation, witchhunts etc. are old stuff, history has that habit of repeating itself, so I don't honestly believe these "patterns" are the result of any conscious decision. It's just art building upon other art and actual events.
                          Good thought provoking stories explore actual events. Especially in Science Fiction. It allows the reader/viewer to gain insight into opposing viewpoints without forcing him to take sides.

Comment

I write. Sometimes, when I read over my writing (or just review my ideas), they sound an awful lot like things that have been done before in some form. If I remember back to when I was writing, I can usually pinpoint something in my life - a book or an event or a television show - that influenced the work and made it into what it was. I wasn't consciously trying to parallel those things, those things just spurred on my inspiration.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

thanks Lorizael, for your insight.

Comment

Working...
                              X