Will Twenty20 Cricket take off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Twenty20 Cricket take off?

Last night the first Twenty20 international was played between Australia and New Zealand at Auckland to a full house. Is this the future of crcket?

What do any of you cricket fans think of the format?

Maybe not good cricket, but great fun

I think the fashion crimes shoult be outlawed though
    Twenty20's 1980s-style triumph
    Sensational!
    12.50%
    Stupid
    0.00%
    Just a novelty
    25.00%
    Should stay as a third cricket format
    0.00%
    Should replace 50-over cricket
    25.00%
    What's cricket?
    37.50%

I doubt it somehow.

It looked like a bit of a laugh more than anything and seemed to be a crowd pleaser but I imagine it'd lose some of its appeal were it to occur more frequently.

IIRC a few years ago we had a domestic 'Action cricket' series - rather similar to 20/20 but with the addition of a second innings for both sides, so effectively a 20/20/20/20 I guess.
    It seemed to go all right for a round or so but I don't think they repeated it.

Perhaps if they were to play only on odd years or so it mightn't drain public enthusiasm so much?

Comment

Its been quite a success here in county matches.

BBC, Sport, BBC Sport, bbc.co.uk, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

And why not good cricket?

I found a nice quote

"Success at 20-20 cricket involves high skills and the ability to turn it on at once: it's the distilled essence of the game in a powerful shot."
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Well cricket is a bit long... who has all day to watch a one day international (and that's the shortest one otherwise)?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

ODI's are fifty overs apiece though - this format reduces it to 20.
          In theory, with the same over rate, the game's finished in 3 hours.

Comment

it's doing well in the UK, I'm a big sports fan generally but never had much time for cricket but I've got into 20/20.

I think it was a case of evolve or die for the CCB.

Comment

Mmm. Very clever dp.

Comment

3 hours is workable.. that's not too much more than other sports.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon

In theory, with the same over rate, the game's finished in 3 hours.
                  Suits me fine

it's not just the time factor though, people like to see battlers hitting out, needing to get runs, test match and to a lesser extent 50 over cricket is all foreplay and no orgasm, more often then not the games just peter out.

Comment

Working...
                  X