Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LESS IS MORE: scrap the middle ages!

I have always disliked the middle ages.

They're so darn Eurocentric. Because Europe had a fallback between the Roman era and the Renaissance, doesn't the mean the rest of the world had one. To the contrary, Islam had their Golden Age during this era! And a little known fact, China was on the brink of an industrial revolution in the eleventh century, with eg large scale steel production. World history would have looked mightily different if they had been able to further develop.

So scrap that era. I don't want to be forced to go through a dark age. It's boring anyway: most middle age units are simply a copy of their ancient age nephews. For example, what's supposed to be the difference between a Spearmen/Phalanx/Hoplite, and Pikemen? The Phalanx was in fact better military organized than the medieval pikemen... Or what's the difference between Swordmen and Medieval Infantry (IIRC a unit added in C3C?)?

Much better would be a natural tech tree flow from the ancient age to the gunpowder era, with a few techs of Muslim and Chinese origin thrown in between to make the link. As it happened in the real world!!
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

I agree: We should get the Islamic Age, or Chinese Golden Age or someting along that road instead...
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Pikemen had longer spears than hoplites/spearmen, and towards the end they too were organized into precise blocks IIRC.

The Middle Ages in Civ don't directly simulate a Dark Age as such, because there's no loss of science and culture or anything, just a step that lets you get a few different units. And the Middle Ages did in fact provide several things, especially universities and the beginnings of chemistry, worldwide.

Not that the phase necessarily hit all the world at the same time. Han-Dynasty China was roughly "medieval," and Japan's Samurai really hit their stride a little bit after Europe did.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

This IS getting out of hand, Maniac.
        Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking about a 'Scrap the Modern Age'

After all, its only about 300 years of the totality of human history.

Better yet, let's just scrap all ages...
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Oh, for crying out...this is why I say parody posts are the tool of Satan! Bad polypeople! Keep it in the OT if you're gonna be daft.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Tool of Satan? That is a bit too harsh, is't it?
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I believe we can have a serious discussion about the Middle ages.

I think that Feudalism shouldn't be an advance, since it's essentially a step back from well-organised states and empires to a tribal society.

Pikemen are problematic, too. Historically they were developed to counter knights, and they made cavalry obsolete on the battlefield until the development of small firearms in the 17th century. But in Civ 2 & 3 they appear before knights!
                The difference between industrial society and information society:
                In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
                In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Yeah, they should change that obvious mistake... (didn't they have that in Civ2 too?)

Comment

Working...
                  X