damned hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damned hard

I was a very good Civ2 and reasonably good Civ3 player. I just found Freeciv last week. I thought "this is cool." Then I played the game. Even at novice level, the AI builds techs, cities, wonders, like it's playing Diety level in Civ3. It crushes me every time, to the point where I'm going to just can the game and go back to commercial Civ. At least I have a chance there. Is there something I'm supposed to do when I set up a game that will make it playable?

There are FreeCiv strategy guides that should help you get to grip with the slightly different stragety needed.

I found that I had to change my game a lot for the transition from Civ I / FreeCiv to Civ III.

(I have hardly touched Civ II which might have made the jump easier...)

Comment

While Freeciv mostly plays along similar lines to Civ2 you should be aware that FC AI has been optimized throughout the years and plays a very agressive expansive strategy. Try to imagine a Civ2 where are the AI has been updated to match the best playing strategies: expand, ICS, city bribes, calculated battles (e.a it won´t try to smash itself against musketeers on mountains unless for a very good reason). It still can be beaten, just like Civ2 when you get to the know the AI.

In FC 2.0 you shouldn´t forget about the multiple veteran levels. A unit with 3 or 4 veteran levels under its belt is a tough cookie! But that works both ways....
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Another problem I have is, I can't seem to do diplomacy. The other civs go to war and then my diplomacy screen just shows we're at war. I can't negotiate or make it do anything else.

personally, I think it's idiotic to have novice-level play like the "hard" ai in the original.

Comment

Originally posted by joeschmoe
          Another problem I have is, I can't seem to do diplomacy. The other civs go to war and then my diplomacy screen just shows we're at war. I can't negotiate or make it do anything else.

personally, I think it's idiotic to have novice-level play like the "hard" ai in the original.

You can only do diplomacy once you've met another (AI) player. You can contact other players via playerlist under the report menu, or press F3.
          Attached Files
          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
          X