Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a complete riot

news item

Gertrude Walton of Fayette County hated computers, her daughter said.

That did not stop the recording industry from accusing the now deceased 83-year-old Mount Hope woman of illegally trading music over the Internet.

More than a month after Walton was buried in Beckley, a group of record companies named her as the only defendant in a federal lawsuit. They claimed Walton made more than 700 pop, rock and rap songs available for free on the Internet under the screen name “smittenedkitten.”

On Thursday, a spokesman for the Recording Industry Association of America acknowledged that Walton was probably not the smittenedkitten it is searching for.
    What a bunch of idiots! They didn't even bother to do some preliminary checking before filing suit.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

So a woman named GERTRUDE is being sued for downloading rap songs?

WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

She is probably guilty by association. She cerainly know what a computer is. Hang her!

Comment

Isnt she dead already?
        Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
          Isnt she dead already?
          Yes, she's dead.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

This reminds me of Monty Python. See illegally trades music. Burn her!
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Filesharing may cause death.

Comment

WHOA is file sharing Illegal? Hell i just downloaded 18 songs Do I turn myself in or wait to be hung?
                When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  Filesharing may cause death.
                  Not in Canada.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Canada

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
                      Isnt she dead already?
                      Sheesh, the excuses some people use.

Dig her up and kill her again!
                      "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                        Canada
                        I'm a pretty lame downloader really. I mainly download stuff I already bought years ago, but couldn't afford to ship over to Canada (not that there's room for all my CDs in my pokey flat).

Still... we pay taxes on recordable media here, and that was the deal that the record companies freely agreed to (and that a lot of people were annoyed about). I don't see why the law should change just because their own greed turns out to have benefited the consumer.

I can't see what the fuss is anyway, I still buy lots of CDs. I think I have at about 600 here, and I only brought 300 with me. That's an average of about five CDs a month (although I haven't been buying that many lately, I went on a CD orgy when Tower Records closed down a couple of years back).

I was looking through the recent court decisions.

Apparently uploading is legal in Canada as well. And the recording industry cannot demand that your ISP give up your name if you share.

NB: this applies only to music. All other forms of filesharing copyright material are illegal.
                        Last edited by Agathon; February 5, 2005, 00:31.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

A good read.

Tech Central Station is the best place to find and compare prices on a variety of tech products and services. You'll save time and money with Tech Central Station!

and

Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Edan

Sheesh, the excuses some people use.

Dig her up and kill her again!
                            Isnt that a bit well i dunno kinda sick?
                            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                            "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                            Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

hehe well I'm sure it would teach em nerds a lesson!
                              Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Working...
                              X