Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What units

here is what is left

Between the prolonged engagement with with the Mongols, Aztecs and Barbarians

at least the Mongols are gone, but at a price.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Addled Platypus; February 6, 2005, 02:17.
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

PART I:

I've changed up my plans...the Aztecs must be dealt with immediately...I am way behind in techs but have a fast and powerful military. My plan is to capture their outlying cities, and allow my impis to trickle into their empire core pillaging at will. I will have enough units to attack mongoliand at the same time soon. By dealing with the Chinese and Mayan earlier, I avoid the problem of having a northern front open up, allowing me to use my speedy units to their fullest ability.

975--A stack of seven horsemen and six impi are invading Aztec territory...By the way, I am still in my GA, and all my cities are building impi or horsemen or barracks. I have 12 horsemen and 10 impi.

925--An attack of Tzintz...Tzintzand...uh...some aztec city yields the great leader Mpande. The city is burned to the ground and an army is born.

875--Texcoco Falls. The three resisters are deemed jerks, and nearby Zulu forces respond with anti-guerilla warfare. The source of spice makes the Zulu grunts happy.

850--A mongolian warrior and settler are nearing one of my assault roads...too good to pass up. There is a forward scout force ready to enter Mongoliand from the north consisting of 2 impis and 2 horseman...A small expeditiary force breaks of from the aztec attack force to hit a mongolian city and join up with the northern scout force.

825--The mongolian city of Almarikh is now under my control. The northern scout force amasses on the outskirts of Hovd waiting for it to grow to size two before attacking. It was necessary to expel some pesky french forces. Right now I have 10 cities. One from a hut. 3 captured. 2 demanded for peace, one capital, and three built from settlers. I've built three workers and captured eight slaves. 14 horsemen, 10 impi, 1 army, and 7 warrior. I see a source of iron over in frenchland, but I am not going to worry about it until i attack them in about 15 turns or so.

750 B.C. -- Tenochtitlan is now under control of the Zulu empire. The Aztec empire is crumbling fast...The idiots only had two spearman defending. They did not anticipate the speed of my forces. My silks supply city decided they'd rather be mayan, and face the zulu army again in the future...Unhappiness halts production in many cities...The still despotic government begins paying for public spectacles to keep the masses happy.

730 -- Tired of waiting, I attacked and destroyed Hovd. I am proceeding south, further into Mongliand.

690 -- The Mongolian capital of Karakorum is now under Zulu Control. The Mongols have 4 cities and are willing to trade me two for peace as well as Math and Writing...I think I'll take it. My goal for the war in Mongliand was territory expansion anyways...Now I can concentrate and demolish the Aztecs or prepare for an attack against the French.

610 -- I haven't made much headway on the Aztec front recently. My forces have been fighting insurgents in Tenochtitlan. I finally got the pop down to two, and rushed a barracks...Time to resume destroying...had to fend off some weak and poorly planned archer attacks by the AI though, pretty easy with my horsemen.

590 -- The city of Teotihuacan falls to Zulu forces...My soldiers burn it to the ground.

530 -- The city of Tlacopan falls...a new govenor is installed. Currently a force of 7 horsemen, two impi, and a horseman army sits outside of the new Aztec capital of Tlateco...situated on the flood plains. With no true settler pump, i'm wishing for a Great Leader to build a Forbidden Palace in the rich aztec flood plains. Hopefully my assault on their capital will yield one. Three of my attacking units are elite. I have to waste a turn to cross the river, though. I've decided to abandon Tlacopan.

490 BC -- The city of Tlateloco has fallen. No Great Leader though. The Aztecs offer Monarchy and another tech for peace, but I want my Great Leader first. Maybe I should build the Heroic Epic.

470 BC -- The Babs declare war on me. I should have seen it coming. Well, my former enemy the Maya and I team up against those jerks, for a price...hopefully the city-state of maya will wage a war of attrition...and I can attack the cheese eating surrender monkeys to my southeast...

...That is, if the aztecs submit to unconditional surrender. Peace for tech. They almost must pay me 8 gpt tribute. The idea of Monarchy is stupid...feudalism becomes number one priority...I've never made the jump from despotism to feudalism before. In fact, the only time I've used feudalsim is once, with the Japanese. This situation, however, seems perfect.

450 BC -- Damn! No one has feudalism. Also, as you can see from the shot, there are massive voids. I have to get a settler pump going. That's only going to happen in the aztec flood plains, with a forbidden palace, with a great leader...which means...WAR. Excellent. My opening strategy is further rewarded by being a warmonger.

Points of Interest:
      -------------------
      1. Is it possible to survive until now without iron, even with a militaristic foreign policy? Sure. Swordsman mean very little to my army. I attack them on defense, and I probably wouldn't use them on offense. Another human could definitely hurt your plans though, a hoplite swordsman stack would hurt. The medieval times are coming, though...and lack of iron will kill you then.

2. Can excessive lack of culture force your empire to crumble? TBD.

3. Can I make it through this game without researching anything else? TBD.

To be continued...
      (the only mongolian cities are the two furthest south. There are seperated, on the coast, and surrounded on land by my cities)...yeah I know the shot is messed up...it's my first day.
      Attached Files

Comment

(I wanted to include a better screenshot...)

PART II:
        --------
        390 -- I got a bunch of slaves...started a massive irrigation through the southwestern desert project. Forces reorganizing to hit France.

370 -- The war with france begins. They had a force of 3 swordsmen, 1 archer, and 2 warrior in my territory. killed the archer and two swords, but only wounded the third. Meanwhile, 7 horsemen, 5 of which are elite, and 3 impis reached their initial assault point right outside the gates of Avignon, a french iron city right on the border...better get that leader.

350 -- Finish off that french force, and captured Avignon. Capturing Paris will give me ToA. If I can get it fast enough, it will get me enough culture to get through the game, hopefully...I estimate the irrigation project to be complete in 10 turns, making my cow forest city a true settler pump. Another one in AztecLand due to a great leader would be awesome, especially with my soon to be feudalistic strategy.

330 -- Oddly, the Babylonians offer peace. sure...All I did was capture two of their settlers.

(ok...back to my basketball team, the Tar Heels!)
        Attached Files

Comment

Re: the map

Don't feel so bad there, I had one such stack actually form on me, largely because my MA was directionaly challenged and named the wrong city as the one they were near.

And I also had to postpone a planned major trade by 8 turns to clear out barbs because the trade involved France & myself entering the Middles ages. "Whack-a-barb-camp"

The AI is doing a better job whacking those barb camps than you are.

I looked at the overview of the WM, the largest concentration of empty land is south of you. Settler pair units will keep on coming, if you don't want them to go thru your territory, set up a mobile wall.

On should should size 6 city with Temple & Oracle have happiness problems, it depends.

On Emperor and above
          defualt 1 content - 5 unhappy
          Temple + Orcale : 3 content - 3 unhappy
          Add 1 luxary : 1 happy - 2 content - 3 unhappy.
          2 military units as police still needed to maintaign order.

For Monarch level, just 1 military unit would be needed.

Another hint: Aquire the Mongol Fur and empty/Aztec Ivory and size 6 cities can almost always be fine on all difficlty levels with no happiness structures. The exceptions are pop-rushing / drafting / give peace a chance / Stop attacking the mother country.

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
          my world so far

The red dots being several large stacks of Barbaians 6-8 per stack
          out of what little shadow areas are left.

Strange how they really dont pick on the other civ workers?

And most of the other civs decide now is a good time to go through my territory..and I have asked them several times to leave, cant declare war on everyone

Should your capital that has a temple and Oracle at size 6 still riot? With about 20 turns to go for GL, I panicked and made a settler (dont hate me).
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Jon's DAR : Monarch AU Mod PART II of Dar 3.
            (Between wipe out of first AI and wipeout of 2nd AI)

The following restrictions taken upon myself to encourage war mongling:

1. I will not be in a representive form of govt nor may I pick Monarchy.

2. I will not build any libaries. [I may still try to reserach, but it will become less effective as time goes on.]

3. I will not build any great wonders unless I get and use a SGL. Any SGL may only be used for building wonders that are Military.

4. I will not build any small wonders unless I get and use a MGL.

550 BC : Trade Code of Laws to France for Construction + 114 gold. France enters middle ages.

550 BC : Trade Code of Laws, Construction, Map Making to India for Monarchy, 42 gold, and 10 GPT. We enter middle ages

550 BC : Trade Monarchy to Maya for Literature and 26 gold

490 BC : Irrigation chain reaches Ivory City

430 BC : Discover Philosphacy. Discover Feudalism as free tech.
            Declare a Revolution! 6 more turns of Anarchy. Cease Fire Deal with Aztecs expires in 3 turns.
            Notice Maya has entered Middle Ages. No one has techs we lack.

430 BC : Found Northern Grassland

350 BC : Irrigation chain reaches Horse Town

350 BC : Babylonians build Temple of Artiemis

350 BC : French build Hanging Gardens

310 BC : Declare the new Fedualism!

310 BC: Invade Aztec capital area unaanouced!

310 BC: Aztec's ask us to leave or declare war. WAR!

310 BC: Aztec attacks an Elite Horsemen on a Hill. We get a MGL. Bout time we got our FP! Being built on Aztec Cow

310 BC: 2 Mongolian Salves Captured! I see'm. Will get them back in our turn.

310 BC: Get out the whip and pop rush a Temple in Aztec Floodplain

290 BC: Aztec Floodplain & Aztec Cow revolt.

290 BC: Aztec Folly captured (One slave taken)

290 BC: Retake my two Mongolain slaves

290 BC: Aztec Whales captured. (Two slaves taken)

290 BC: Destroy the Fledging Aztecs

End of Dar 3

24 Cities; 22 permenant / 2 temp. Number of units allowed: 120. Percent used: 38.3%

1. Which were the first two AI civs to be eliminated? Why them?
            Mongols & Aztecs. They had been reduced in DAR 2, and it was time form them to go.

2. Did you use combined arms, or did you focus on one unit type?
            I used Horsemen only in this DAR. [15 total] The numerous Impi [11] and some left over warriors [6] were just used as military police / protection from Barbs.

3. How many of your Workers are native, and how many slaves!?
            9 native workers, 13 slaves [I think?]. The odd slave will join a city because I like to have my slaves work in pairs when playing a non-industrious civ.

screen shots below
            Last edited by joncnunn; February 15, 2005, 21:11.
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

PART III:
              ---------

250 BC -- Razed some french town.

210 BC -- The French get the Chinese to declare war on me...luckily I have a small response force up north for just such an occasion. Two horsemen and two impi are right outside the closest chinese city...

190 BC -- Wow...now the Aztecs are in on it...The northern french iron city of lyons has been destroyed, rendering the french ironless as far as I can tell.

150 BC -- I got the mongols to attack the aztecs with me for Map Making...too bad they are so weak...but so are the Aztecs.

110 BC -- Finally, Zwelithini the Great Leader is greated in a skirmish with the Chinese. I still intend to send him to the Aztec Flood Plains for a Forbidden Palace...The Aztecs agree to Peace. They must give me Literature. I see two settler pumps and Feudalism (after I demand it from the French) in my future. Captured a Chinese settler and destroyed several archers. I have yet to see an iron unit from the chinese.

70 BC -- The Chinese agree to peace. They were sending medieval infantry after me, but I killed a ton of their archers. Paris is mine, and so is the ToA. I decide to make peace with france for Feudalism and monotheism, however it costs me 115 gold. Nine turns to get a new government..wow.

80 AD -- Almarikh revolted is now Mongolian.

110 AD -- The new Zulu Feudalistic goverment is created...I am now allowed to have 82 units, but I only have 50.

130 -- FP built using great leader...Heroic Epic also completed in Zimbabwe.

210 -- A massive border expansion due to the ToA means I now control 22% of the world...one pump is running.

250 -- The maya launch a sneak attack on my cities to their north...I declare war on the mongols, pledging to destroy them once and for all.

300 -- The Babylonians declare war, stealing one of my cities.

320 -- Peace with maya. The mongols are gone.
              Attached Files

Comment

370 -- Knights are about to enter Babylonian territory. City of Eridu captured.

420 -- Recaptured Avignon...They offer peace. No way. I am planning on taking their city with Knights Templar soon.

450 -- Babylonian city of Ellipi captured. Dyes confiscated.

460 -- Babylonian iron city of Ninevah captured, along with Knights Templar.

470 -- The chinese sneak attack and steal a city...I got to defend better.

480 -- Babylonian city of Eulbar captured.

500 -- Peace with Babylon...the chinese are definitely putting a hurting on me.

510 -- The chinese capture another one of my cities...just north of my capital.

520 -- I got it back...but the Indians decided to attack me.

550 -- Chinese city raised, i cut off there assault route. The Indians are sending all sorts of war elephants my way. I've finally passed everyone in world ranking...
                Attached Files

Comment

Edit: Running out of space so zip removed now that it's been unzipped and the screens attached seperately.
                  Last edited by joncnunn; February 15, 2005, 21:12.
                  Templar Science Minister

Comment

Posting pics for Joncnunn.

900 BC, after taking Flood Plains, and Spices. Apparently from the Aztecs.
                    Attached Files
                    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

825 BC, after capturing an Aztec Harbor.
                      Attached Files

Comment

775 BC. The end of Jon's second war with the Aztecs.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Jon's map, 550 BC.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Jon's technology situation, 550 BC.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Jon's Zululand in Anarchy, 430 BC.
                              Attached Files

Comment

430 BC tech situation. Went for Feudalism, by the looks of it.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X