AU506 - DAR2: 2150BC-1000BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU506 - DAR2: 2150BC-1000BC

This is the DAR2 thread for AU506: The Power of Early Warfare. This DAR covers the second block of 40 turns of the game (turns 40 through 80). Use this thread to discuss your moves in this critical period of the game.

Here are some further questions:

1. Were Goody Huts profitable for you?
    2. Have you declared war on anyone yet?
    3. If so, who? And why?
    4. How are you being a bloodthirsty warmonger?
    5. What do you want to have accomplished before the Medieval era?
    6. Are you making good use of the Impi? Why or why not?
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

No, hust trying to survive

Trying for knights if all possible.

Early on, they are great armed scouts, after swordsman show
    up, not that great.

No major events from 2180-1730/ or goody huts got two...sad

Mongols demand most of my gold, I say No..they declare
    war and will soon pay the price
    Meet France get Masonry for Myst and 40g (ahh walls)

Hlobane errected

Isandhlwana erected
    1 Mongal spearman beats off 2 Vet Impi...aagghh
    Aztecs decide to declare war for not giving masonry

I have several elite Warriors from fending off the Aztecs
    Aztecs lost 4 Archers 3 Warriors 1 Swordsman
    I lost 1 Warrior 1 Archer 1 Vet Impi in defense
    lost a couple of workers trying for horse
    Hey, what shadow did the barbs come out of !

Mongols lose their Capitol-Karakorva Gain 1 Elite Impi
    small army(4) off to harass the Aztecs
    should be able to keep horse now.
    I raze the city, 2x away from active volcano
    I trade unit deaths with Aztecs, they are kept at bay

General
    Settler off to secure Iron, soon Swordsman..yeah

Sorry no map, I dont want to spoil.
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I think you'll realise at the end of this post I'm not very good at keeping track of what happens.

1850 - See lone Chinese warrior next to two of my archers, who were actually heading up towards the Mayans, but seize the opportunity (and wanted to start a war ASAP), attack and win.
      1830 - Trade IW for Masonary, wheel + 8g to Babs.
      - Trade alpha for IW, pott and +15g to French
      1750 - Maya demand alpha from me, I refuse, they declare.
      1675 - Research HBR, switch to writing at 50 turn pace, figuring I need the money for troops.
      1625 - The two archers near China destroy Canton, losing one of them.
      1575 - Trade Mystic + 80g for alpha to Mongols
      1525 - Find Aztecs (how did I miss them for so long?), they are behind in tech and have no money, bless them.
      1400 - 2 Mayans warriors come a wandering over, archer kills one of them, then dies on the counter.
      1350 - The now on his own archer near China, after defeating a barb camp up there finds India, we're equal on tech.
      1300 - Lone Chinese spearman turns up around my boarders, an archer kills him.
      1275 - 4 Mayan warriors show up next to one of my cities before I'm able to defend properly. Settle for peace (don't fancy my chances with the RNG) and get 20g in the process.
      1125 - Mongols build Colossus
      1100 - China send 3 archers down, just as I'm sneding some horsies up to them. They lose.
      1025 - Lose the elite arch that took out Canton by attacking Chinese spear/settler combo. Nearly got them
      900BC - Told you I was no good at keeping track, but I'm only a few turns over. I don't know when each city was founded, guess I didn't make notes of that for some reason, I'll know for next time. Here's a recap, anyway.
      - 7 cities
      - Zimbabwe has just finished a settler intended for the south of Zimbabwe.
      - 2 more settlers being built, one more for the south and one for the north.
      - There's a city off to the right where the dyes are, about to complete a temple to have the dyes in its boarders. Have moved 3 workers down there to chop, road and irrigate back.
      - There's 4 horsies and 1 archer about to attack Beijing, literally the next turn.

Here's a screenie so you can tell me to build more workers and graneries (as I have none in my cities).
      Attached Files
      Random signature generator - Press Ctrl & W to see more!

Comment

Welcome Morissey.

Just one thing I noticed from you screenshot: you founded the city of Hlobane (SW part of your empire) on a Cattle tile. That's not recommended: you lose the Food bonus, plus the Shield bonus until much later on the game.

Nice job in getting some forces together to attack China: they can/would get very annoying with those Riders.

And yes, you need more Granaries.

Comment

Jon's Dar: [Monarch AU Mod]

2150 BC : See Dar #1

Stole two goody huts , one each from French & China [one tile outside their cuture boundary], map of territory SE France and Polytheism.

Discovered the Chinese. I have all contacts!

Scouts exploring between France/Babylon & near China killed by barbs. [One Scout left exploring near China, evenually finished and returned home.]

Ironton founded. [No hurry to connect Iron though ]

Connected Horses. [And Ivory to empire ]

Yet Another Horse Town and Oasis founded. Denied Mongol Horses.

Traded to get Mathematics.

1450 BC : Finished resarching Writing. Unfrontely one AI discovered it half a turn before and sold it to a few others.

Sold Horse Riding to Babs for Slave and cash.

Researching Code of Laws. 23 turns @ 80%. MM was 30, all others 45-50. [Due to AU Mod, Philosphacy is very expensive ]

1275 BC: France builds the Oracle

1200 BC : Declared War on Mongols! [Right after the nearby city reached size 2 so it could be captured instead of raized. ]
          Captured North Central Mongol city.

Founded Ft Mondo

1100 BC?: Captured Mongolain capital! [And fur]

1075 BC? : Auto-raized the new Mongolain capital, capturing a settler and 2 workers. To the east killed the Spearmen protected a settler. [Total slaves aquired that turn : 6 ]

1025 BC : Mongols willing to talk, but only willing to surrender one town. That's not good enough. Auto raized the SE tundra city. Talk to Mongols, again, now they'll surrender the NW size 1 city and their entire treasury, and are now a one city empire. Accepted. Easy pickings for 20 turns from now.

1000 BC: The people want to build the FP! Start moving military in position to go after Aztecs.

Still #1 in science, one turn left in Code of Laws.

Aztecs are #1 in population. That can not be tolerated!

1. Were Goody Huts profitable for you?
          Yes!

2. Have you declared war on anyone yet?
          Yes

3. If so, who? And why?
          Mongols. Low hanging fruit.

Quite strange to have no improvements other than a Granery in my captial and lots of Baracks. And also some good city spots so close empty.

In a couple of turns, I hope to have the Mongol fur connected to the rest of my empire.

Aquire the Aztec luxary and their Iron, and aquire fresh water. Hopefully one of the Elite Horsemen gets a MGL for building the FP.

In a deterent role, yes. So far, the AI has refused to attack any stack containing an Impi, so I've not had my GA yet, which is quite okay with me.

----
          Screen shots below
          Last edited by joncnunn; February 15, 2005, 21:14.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Morrissey, this thread only covers thru 1000 BC. You need to move the 900 BC over to the next thread. :just kidding:

At least one city should have a Granery for founding some cities in unoccuplied territory. That was easy to do with chops. And yes, founding a city directly on a plains cow tile is a really bad location.
            Last edited by joncnunn; February 1, 2005, 15:29.
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Platypus Rex, there's very little danger of spoiling with a map on this segment.

Any semi-decent exploration during the first 40 turns should reveal most of the map.

And anyone not wishing to be spoiled in any segment need not read other peoples reports on those segments until they reach them.
              Templar Science Minister

Comment

will do on next post at 5 civs left

Mongols going bye-bye
                anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Sid Level, AU Mod

Events:

From the last DAR, at which time I had 3 cities, I continued expanding. My 2nd and 3rd cities built warrior, settler then temple, and my capital built impi, settler, impi, settler, etc. My 4th city Hlobane, is the northern most city, from then I built Isandhiwana, north east of my capital, and Intombe, north west of my capital. The impi's I interspersed between settlers plus the warriors and a few scouts were enough to keep AI settlers away. Unfortuantly, I'm horribly behind in tech, I have only all the first level techs excluding the wheel, and I am currently researching writing. All the AI's have all the techs I can research, except for the mongols who don't have Writing. The Indians are building Knights Templar, which means they must have Chivalry. Most of my cities are now building temples.

My thoughts:

Things are going ok. I've got 9 cities, which cover a decent amount of territory. I guess my long term plan will be to attack the mongols for some territory, with the assistance of neighbouring AI's. To do this I'll need to build my economy, so I can pay them off to attack the mongols. Ideally the AI's will distract the mongols with their masses of units so I can attack and hold one of their cities with a focused attack force.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sid Level, AU Mod (continued)

Power Graph
                    Attached Files

Comment

AU Mod, Emperor level

I have set restrictions for myself, to force war. I am not build any Wonders, nor science buildings (Libraries, and on). Also, research is at minimum (a scientist, or 10-20%) all the time.

2030 BC
                      Hlobane settled near the Horses. The Worker finished a Road on the same turn.
                      Bapedi and Zimbabwe produce Impi. Sugar Valley can make a Horseman every 6 turns.
                      Barbs show up and kill one Scout.

1700 BC
                      Babylon and the Mongols are at war. Good.
                      First Horseman commissioned in Sugar Valley.
                      Barracks ready in Hlobane.
                      Bapedi is doing a Granary.
                      Scouts and Warriors moving in Aztec, and French territory. They both have great land.
                      Aztecs have Mathematics and Polytheism now.
                      India has Polytheism.
                      France has Polytheism.
                      We get 100 gold from the Maya for things we know.
                      Could have Writing by now, but I don't move the science slider above 10%. 628 gold, +8gpt, 13 turns to Writing.

1575 BC
                      We get Polytheism from the Babylonians for things we know, and some gold.
                      The Aztecs demand tribute. We laugh at them. They declare war. Looks like the Mongols became the second target now.
                      I had 6 Impi, 2 Horsemen, and 3 Warriors when they declared, with at least 2 cities producing units at any given turn.

1500 BC
                      Settle Isandhlwana at Zimbabwe 88. Build queue: Warrior, Worker, Barracks.
                      First Impi enters Aztec lands. Yes, I'm going to start by pillaging the hell out of them.
                      Babylon still at war with the Mongols.
                      Tenochtitlan (Aztec) completes the Oracle. Haha, good timing.

1475 BC
                      We get Writing from China for some gold (was 5 turns to completion).
                      For Writing, we get even more gold from others, and bring the Mongols to war with the Aztecs.
                      Iron is finally connected.
                      Isandhlwana switched to Barracks, because it's Warrior changed into a Swordsman.
                      Mapping of the French lands finished. Those guys need to be killed ASAP.
                      Research on Monarchy started, 10%.

1450 BC
                      Pillaging starts in Aztec lands. First to go are Flood Plains with Wheat, and Grassland with Cattle.
                      The Indians demand tribute. We laugh at them. They declare war. Oh well.

1400 BC
                      I kill an Aztec Warrior with an Impi, starting the Zulu Golden Age. In other languages it is called WAR.
                      Actually, most cities switch to Voodoo-Temples. We need a couple shamans to really make the enemy suffer.
                      Continue pillaging the Aztecs.
                      We make embassies everywhere. It seems like the Maya and France are having a tight race for the Pyramids.
                      We buy Mathematics from the Mongols.
                      We give Mathematics and Writing to the Maya to fight the Aztecs. This is to force them into war-mode for a while.

1200 BC
                      The Mongols ask China to join the Aztec party.
                      France has Monarchy now. But they won't sell.

1100 BC
                      Babylon asks France to join the Aztec party. What a mess.
                      Attack on Tlatelolco (Aztec Flood Plains city). Autorazes.

1050 BC
                      Settle Intombe to the north.

1000 BC
                      Settler moved to put a city at Zimbabwe 22.

Diplomacy: War all around. No civ is at peace.
                      Cities owned: 6
                      Military: 11 Impi, 3 Horsemen, 4 Swordsmen, 1 Archer
                      Workers: 5 native, 2 Slaves
                      Science: we lack Monarchy (France), and Literature (China)

Plan:
                      Finish basic structures, while in GA. Keep making units, sending them to the Aztecs. Maybe sign peace for the Ivory city (Tlaxcala). Then, take the Great Library from the French or the Maya, as one of them will probably build it. Or, perhaps, take the Pyramids from the other one? Oh, the pressure.

Zululand, 1000 BC:
                      Attached Files
                      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
                        In other languages it is called WAR.

Comment

Sounds like a good city to capture before the war ends, especally in light of your Temple builds.

1500 BC

Tenochtitlan (Aztec) completes the Oracle. Haha, good timing.
                          Templar Science Minister

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                            Sounds like a good city to capture before the war ends, especally in light of your Temple builds.
                            Which I did, shortly after this DAR. Imagine, it didn't even flip.

I'm not killing off civs, by the way, so DAR 3 will probably include the most part of the whole game.
                            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

I'm not killing off civs, by the way,
                              Why not!?

Comment

Working...
                              X