Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dominae
    Why not!?
    Because it's easier to just kill their core cities, and let them live as vassals. Have you heard about oscillating wars?

The game is about early warfare, not about wiping off civs, remember? I'm actually doing more damage with the pillaging Impi (mighty powerful), than with direct attacks. Granted, I suck at this kind of game, but am having even more fun because of this.
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Modo44, I'd sugest killing them in 20 turns if they don't come up with something valuable to postpone their judgement day.
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
        The game is about early warfare, not about wiping off civs, remember?
        As the one who set up the scenario, yes, I remember.

Although it does sort of mess up the DAR structure, I'm not suggesting you should change your strategy. Rather, I'm wondering what benefit you will derive from keeping a few civs barely alive.

I've never been a fan of the trimming strategy in warmonger-type games; for me, at least, there is rarely any middle ground between "We are strong enough to oppose you, send more units if you want to threaten us" and "We're angry enough that we're not giving in to any demands, no matter how strong you are". Keeping one civ alive as a training ground for Elites is one thing: keeping multiple alive is counter-productive unless you want to increase the tech rate (the "reformed warmonger" strat, not what we're talking about here). An eliminated civ in the early game leaves a vacuum that other civs are all-too-eager to fill, creating many opportunities for Settler-bopping against the remaining civs. Keeping their pop down by forcing them to keep building Settlers is a strat I much prefer.

I hope this game proves me wrong on this, though.
        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

EDIT: Dominae, I found it better to keep the AIs alive. First, they can be used as a punching bag, once I go after someone else. Second, they do some research, and can be trading partners for less crucial technology. Third, I don't have to attend crap cities far from my capital, that will hardly do any good to my civ, while the land is kept away from the stronger AIs.

Originally posted by joncnunn
          Modo44, I'd sugest killing them in 20 turns if they don't come up with something valuable to postpone their judgement day.
          I don't have the forces to do that. The bulk of my army is shifting to hot spots, and they won't be back in the west, not until I go for India.
          Last edited by Modo44; February 2, 2005, 14:33.

Comment

Part II: The Age of Expansion

2030BC:
            We made peace with the Mongols in exchange for 2 of their cities. Not the best ones of course, but gives us some footholds.

1950BC:
            Our 3rd city, Bapedi, is founded by the iron on the ruins of an not-so-ancient Mongol city.

1700BC:
            Our 4th city, Hlobane, is founded by a herd of wild horses.

1600BC:
            With the discovery of Writing, our Sages would look to find out the deep meaning on why we are playing this game… Traded Writing for Horseback Riding with Babylon.

1325BC:
            Isandhlwana, our 5th city, is founded. One Mongol Settler team wandered too close to one of our Archer teams…The second Mongol war started.

1250BC:
            The Mongol capital of Karakorum was taken by storm. We discovered the ‘Meaning of Life’ (and, accessorily, Construction) and traded it around for Mathematics and 350 gold. Built embassies in all capitals.

1225BC:
            Our 6th city, Intombe, was founded.

1150BC:
            The Mayan completed the Oracle.

1125BC:
            Our 7th city, Mpondo, was founded.

1025BC:
            Traded Code of Law around for Construction and Map Making, plus about 150 gold. We are slightly ahead in techs with some civs, but other (as the Indians) are closing in fast. We want to get into the Middle Ages pretty fast, even in Despotism.

The Master’s Questions:
            1. Goody Huts: we got CB, Mysticism and The Wheel, plus one Settler. Very useful, it’s true, but I prefer other long-range traits.
            2. Wars: as before, strictly utilitarian wars. We have a big hole in our territory and no other civ is going to built cities in it. Period.
            3. Wars (part 2): we have 7 Archers and 6 Swords. Not enough to go full-war. We still use the KISS rule: Keep It Settled, Stupid.
            4. Warmongering: the dawn of this profession is not far off. The first stars are already dimming…
            5. Accomplishments: we have now 10 cities (7 founded, 3 captured). We lack only Currency and Polytheism, then we’re in the MA. 670 gold and Literature in 7 turns as a trading tech.
            6. Impi: what’s an Impi? We plan our Golden Age in the middle of the MA, so the fabled Impi stays in the freezer…
            Attached Files
            The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

1250BC.
              the fall of the Mongol capital:
              Attached Files
              The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

The year is 1750 BC. I now have 5 Impis, 4 cities, two chariots on the way, and 10 turns

from HR. I found a city on the hill to the north. Barracks are a mere 5 turns away.

Ulundi, my northern assault stagin point now has its walls, and its road is complete. It

will soon be filled with Impi and Chariot/Horseman, to initiate the northern campaign.

1575--The Maya threatened me...perfect. They were my first target anyway. Best of all,

I'll have horseback riding in 1 turn. Right now I have 5 impi and 5 chariots...good luck

Maya.

1550-shooting for monarchy...must get poly first, though. 0 research anyway...

1300--Early GA, Elite Impi, and destroyed my first mayan city. I am going to threaten

another one, and hopefully get some techs and monies, to upgrade more chariots. Right now,

I have 6 horsemen, 4 impi, 6 warrior for MP and 2 chariot. My speedy SoD over my assault

roads could pay off real soon.

1250--The maya won't give me polytheism, so i take another city as well as a supply of dyes.

Having enough, Smoke-Jaguar aggrees to my terms...two of five cities, polytheism, and 90

gold. A pretty successful early military campaign...maybe I can trade those two cities for

monarchy, since they'd probably culture flip soon anyway. Who is the next victim?

1175--I have decided to hit china hard and fast. Right now there is a stack of six

horsemen, and two impi right outside the Tsingtao city gates...Mao thinks I am a paper

tiger...ha

1050--After rampant pillaging all around beijing, peace breaks out in China. Mao the

weakling offers iron working, 100 gold, and one of his workers for peace...I feel pretty

comfortable up north. I've hit the mayan and the chinese, and i'm not going to attack the

babylonians since they probabaly got some of their UU's. I feel like expanding my empire to

the south...say Mongoliand. I they seem to be leading in something called culture.

1000--Right now, there is a force headed into Mongoliand, and assault roads are being

prepared to attack France...Aztec is going to be a monster...

Comment

Looking pretty good, Beekus. What level are you playing on?

Originally posted by Beekus
                  maybe I can trade those two cities for monarchy, since they'd probably culture flip soon anyway.
                  You won't be able to do that. In Civ3, the AI will only give/demand cities when asking for peace, and will never buy/sell cities otherwise. You can still gift them, making some AI like you more.

Comment

playing emperor with AU mod...I wish I knew how to post screenshots...

Comment

Link to zip file of my Dar 2 too big screen shots 1024 X 800 on my main post.
                      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I use Irfanview to capture and resize to 800 and save as jpeg. Then use the browse button that you get within a post reply.

Here is Joncnunn's:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Next:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Next: 1000bc science
                            Attached Files

Comment

1000bc top 5
                              Attached Files

Comment