AU506: The Power of Early Warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU506: The Power of Early Warfare

Welcome all to the fifth Conquests Apolyton University course!

A pregame discussion thread was opened earlier this week, but this is the real thing!

New to the Apolyton University?

Apolyton University is a school of strategy, where students sharpen their Civ3 skills and share their experiences in a series of thematic games. When playing an Apolyton University game, learning and teaching Civ3 strategy is more important than getting a high score, a fast finish, or even winning the game. Participants are encouraged to share their strategy during and after each AU game, and even to try several attempts.

All you need to do to get involved is to download one of the files provided below, play one of the savegames contained therein, and return here to write a brief report (and read everyone else's report too!).

Play with the Apolyton University mod!

In order to enrich the AU experience, the AU community has created the AU mod, whose main purpose is to challenge the player with a need for deeper strategy. In order to accomplish that goal, the mod tries to improve the AI and present the player with more strategic decisions, while changing as little as possible from the stock game.

The mod can be used to play this course, and in case you really like it (we think you will!), it's also available to download for other epic games you might wish to play. More about the Conquests AU mod, including a list of changes and reasoning behind them, can be found here.

For those of you who dislike mods, fret not: AU506 is also available in a stock rules version.

AU506: The Power of Early Warfare

The purpose of this course is to explore the power of early warfare. We define "early warfare" as the assault of enemy units and cities during the Ancient era. Although under no official restrictions, players are encouraged to employ a very "aggressive" (in the martial sense) foreign policy right from the start.

Note that this scenario's map was crafted to support this line of play. If the scenario seems too difficult or unlike maps you are used to playing, remember to try to play your civ's strengths and traits to their fullest potential. Adapt to win.

Civ: Zulu
    Rules: Default
    Victory Conditions: All
    Difficulty: Any
    Rivals: 7

The Vile Aztecs
    The Evil Babylonians
    The Loathsome Chinese
    The Wicked French
    The Insane Indians
    The Sinful Mayans
    The Vicious Mongols

World Size: Small
    Land Form: Pangea
    Climate and Temperature: ?
    Barbarians: Raging

Let's Play!

Here is what you need to do to play this scenario:

Make sure you own and have installed Civ3: Conquests. You must also download the latest (and last) Conquests patch v1.22, available here.

Next, download one of the zip archives provided below. The first one is for the Stock version of the scenario, the second the AU Mod version (see above for details). Inside the archives you'll find a 4000BC savegame file for each difficulty apart from Chieftain. Simply extract the desired one to your Conquests "Saves" folder, run Conquests and fire up the game using the Load Game option. Simple!

Finally, as you play the game, remember to report back here periodically in the various DAR ("During Action Report") threads. This is where you'll post your exploits and strategy comments for all to see, and read those of others. However, keep in mind that these are spoiler threads, so try to finish playing each block before reading the corresponding thread.

DAR1 - 4000BC-2150BC (first 40 turns)
    DAR2 - 2150BC-1000BC (turns 40 through 80)
    DAR3 - Five AI civs remaining
    DAR4 - Four AI civs remaining
    DAR5 - Three AI civs remaining
    DAR6 - Endgame

Notes: The turn when the second AI civ is eliminated (i.e. there are only 5 AIs remaining) marks the end of DAR3. Similarly for DAR4 and DAR5. Also, an AI civ with one city remaining is not yet "eliminated". If, for some inexplicable reason, you decide to pursue a path to victory that does not involve eliminating the AI civs, please put your report in DAR6.

Enjoy, and may your Zulu warriors sheathe their swords in the beating hearts of your enemies!
    Attached Files
    Yes, Zulu power!
    57.89%
    No, peace and love dude.
    5.26%
    I lurk in the shadow of the Great Banana.
    36.84%
    Last edited by Dominae; January 27, 2005, 13:17.
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Stock:
    Attached Files

Comment

Mod:
      Attached Files

Comment

WOOT!! First up...
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Think I'll actually have time to play this one
          I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Question, if we were to trigure a domination victory while there are 3 AIs still alive, then would we skip DAR6?
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Yes. Might I add, however, that the ideal victory type for this course is Conquest.

Comment

Bah, your on. And Dom. One thing.

You are truely one of the most masochistic, sadistic twisted people I have ever seen.
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                  Yes. Might I add, however, that the ideal victory type for this course is Conquest.
                  In my view, that depends on why players win by conquest rather than by domination. It's great if players can win by conquest quickly enough that all the other civs are gone before they reach the domination threshold. But I see no particular reason for players to go out of theiir way to avoid reaching the domination threshold just so they can win by conquest instead (unless, of course, they would enjoy doing so). If a player really wants to wipe out all the AIs, a domination victory still leaves the option of playing on after the game is officially won. (After all, just because other civs are willing to submit without a fight doesn't mean you have to accept their submission. )

Comment

Could I have a 250x250 pixel image of the starting position?

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
                      In my view, that depends on why players win by conquest rather than by domination.
                      Shaka Zulu care nothing for borders, cultural influence, and majority rule. Shaka Zulu want every last non-Zulu off the planet.

At least, that's that way I would roleplay it. You can roleplay it anyway you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
                        Could I have a 250x250 pixel image of the starting position?
                        Can it wait a couple of days (until, say, Monday)?

Comment

Sure. There is no big rush, and soon I'll be able to do it for myself.

Comment

Like this?
                            Attached Files
                            "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                            -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Well, yes, but I'd prefer a close up of the exact starting image, rather than all of that black, and the beginning screen.

Comment

Working...
                              X