AU506: The Power Early Warfare - Pregame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU506: The Power Early Warfare - Pregame Discussion

From the results of this poll, it's clear that there is interest in a "Power of Early Warfare" course, so with Lord Nuclear's approval, that's what we're going to do for AU506. The same poll also made clear that there are about half as many lurkers in AU as players (confirming a suspicion of mine); I hope you guys are enjoying the show!

It's standard practice to release each new course on either a Thursday or Friday, just in time for the weekend. However, I completed the scenario for this course early, and I figure there's no harm in opening an unoffical pregame discussion thread in order to whet some appetites.

I'll include a complete course description in the download thread later on this week. For now:

---

The Power of Early Warfare

Purpose: To demonstrate the power of early warfare.

Map Size: Small
    Land Form: Pangea
    Water Coverage: 60%
    Climate and Temperature: ?
    Barbarians: Raging

Player Civ: Zulu (Expansionist, Militaristic)

Opponents: 7

The Vile Aztecs
    The Evil Babylonians
    The Loathsome Chinese
    The Wicked French
    The Insane Indians
    The Sinful Mayans
    The Vicious Mongols

---

Discuss!
    Attached Files
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

If there is any source of water nearby to irrigate all those games, the starting location is freaking great. I would say, ideal! No Greeks, Romans, or Carthagian is a good news, and only one scientific civ.

Too bad the screenshot is reduced, so there are not much of "gaze through the fog".

I would move the scout 62 and worker 9 to see things around just in case, but I doubt that move of the settler will be of any use.

Not sure about build order, definetly need one more scout, than probably barrack (to accomodate the chop), than Archers. As population becomes available another settler (need 2 city at least for unit support). Then keep finger crossed for free settlers/techs.

Comment

Rivers??!!
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

None visible.

Comment

I see just a hint of river to the east of the Oasis, so there must be flood plains near by as well

Comment

Originally posted by PeaSoup
            I see just a hint of river to the east of the Oasis, so there must be flood plains near by as well
            Looks more like an inland lake to me.
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Moving the Scout (6-2) is sufficent.
              Your not going to want to plant a city on either game in any case because it would cause the food bonus to be lost.

In place does seem to kill the hill, but considering the mountains and desert and not being agricultural, wouldn't be terriable. And is that a resource I see underneath the scout?
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I would right-click to see if they're FPs or Desert, but I think jon is right; it's an inland lake.
                "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Come to think of it, it's probably very estinatal to found a city right there in place. Who knows if there is a fresh water source west of the hills?

I'm thinking on the first move:

found in place, start resseraching CB so that if a goody hut is discovered giving a tech it will give a more expensive tech than CB, and start construction of a scout

Scout : 6-2. Not sure which direction to explore afterwards yet.

Worker : Road to 6-6. Then form the irrigation chain back to capital. Now it's all set for chopping forest / game and irrigating them.

Build Queue: After Scout, Warrior, Granery, Settler, Baracks, Settler, Imp, Settler, Imp, Settler, Imp.

Edit:fix directionly challenged Scout
                  Edit: add tenative build queue
                  Last edited by joncnunn; January 26, 2005, 13:27.
                  Templar Science Minister

Comment

And where's the save?
                    Templar Science Minister

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                      And where's the save?
                      I'll have everything ready by Thursday night.

Will you participate this time, joncnunn?

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                        Scout : 6-4

Otherwise I agree.
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Fixed the directionarly challenged scout in my post.

Originally posted by Theseus

Otherwise I agree.
                          Templar Science Minister

Comment

Huum, sure, why not, my own current SP game has been effectively over for days, just a matter of discovering the Ship Ship part techs and building it. And a large stack of Tanks is ready if my southern neighbor loses his mind.

Originally posted by Dominae

I'll have everything ready by Thursday night.

Will you participate this time, joncnunn?
                            Templar Science Minister

Comment

Anyone care to post a tentaive build queue? What do you expect the first 40 turns to be like? What will the first few build items in your capital be? What tech will you go for first? Do you have any set plans regarding foreign policy? How are you anticipating this game will play out? Discuss!

Comment

Working...
                              X