Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arnie's Austrian citizenship to be terminated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atahualpa

The way I understand this is: If you are citizen of some country you have to obey their laws.
    So if Arnold has enforced the Death Penalty he violated austrian laws, thus he can be tried here.
    Even if this would be in accordance with US laws.

It's the same with e.g. you traveling to the netherlands and smoking weed. Theoretically your government could arrest you at home, if they have evidence that you went to the netherlands and smoked weed there.
    You are incorrect. Most laws prohibit actions, by any citizen of any country, in the territory that has that law. Most laws have no effect outside of the state that has them.

Laws that are imposed against any citizen, anywhere, doing certain things (like some countries have passed laws regarding child sex tourism) are a very different matter.

There is also the small matter of violating the sovereignty of other states by enforcing your laws on citizens in their country.

What would you be saying if the Saudis punished Saudi women who travelled to Austria and took off their head coverings, or any Saudi who travelled to Austria and got drunk?
    Last edited by notyoueither; January 23, 2005, 16:28.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
      Stripping someone of his only nationality is a different matter though (there are international treaties dealing with that), but that's not the case here.
      I didn't think those treaties allowed taking away the citizenship of birth. No matter what, your 'own people' have to take you.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

A+ for your german Ted
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

5 of the world's 6 safest cities are in Europe

1. Luxembourg
          2. Helsinki - Geneva - Zurich - Berne - Singapore

these cities are 26% safer than New York, the city that all others are ranked against.

furthermore, 3 of the top 6 are in switzerland, one of the worlds most heavily armed citizenry. For example, Geneva has 300,000 handguns and 400,000 people. In addition, every adult male has an assualt rifle with ammunition clips in their closet.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

1. Luxembourg

these cities are 26% safer than New York, the city that all others are ranked against.

furthermore, 3 of the top 6 are in switzerland, one of the worlds most heavily armed citizenry. For example, Geneva has 300,000 handguns and 400,000 people. In addition, every adult male has an assualt rifle with ammunition clips in their closet.
            it's culture. how many times do I have to say it. the amount of guns makes no difference. Canada also has plenty of guns from what I understand.

americans are a violent, bloodthirsty people. I'm not sure what the answer is. Forcibly removing guns is perhaps the only way. but there would be certain side effects to that of course.

Comment

Different culture.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

OMG the US in the line with the axis of evil!

We shall declare war immediately!
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

it's culture. how many times do I have to say it. the amount of guns makes no difference. Canada also has plenty of guns from what I understand.

americans are a violent, bloodthirsty people. I'm not sure what the answer is. Forcibly removing guns is perhaps the only way. but there would be certain side effects to that of course.
                  its also the inner city culture/ poverty. Inner city african americans have less guns than rural african americans, yet they have a murder rate 9 times that of rural african americans.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                    What would you be saying if the Saudis punished Saudi women who travelled to Austria and took off their head coverings, or any Saudi who travelled to Austria and got drunk?
                    What would I say, hmm: Hey women, you can stay here with me

I am a friend of Ted Striker !

Nice threadjack btw.

Comment

Why do any of the Americans in this thread care if Ahnold has his Austrian citizenship revoked? Stop yapping and accept the fact most other rich and advanced states have outlawed the DP already-sheesh.

Whinners.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

no I find it funny most on the left complain that mexican should be allowed to have dual citizenship, but in this case they don't think dual citizenship is appropiate.

Comment

What are you talking about?

A state has the power to revoke anyones citizenship at any point as long as they follow the law of such an action. Arnie is already an American citizen, hence it would not affect him at all.

Hence, WHO CARES? Let the Austrains do as they please- its not like Ahnold will be left stateless if this occured.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Nice threadjack btw.
                            It's not a threadjack. It's exactly the principle that applies to the situation.

Is the Austrian law re executions extraterritorial or not?

If it is, you just might have a problem with the governments of those other territories.

If it isn't, then you're just being silly because Austria has no law that applies.
                            Last edited by notyoueither; January 24, 2005, 02:16.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                              What are you talking about?

A state has the power to revoke anyones citizenship at any point as long as they follow the law of such an action. Arnie is already an American citizen, hence it would not affect him at all.

Hence, WHO CARES? Let the Austrains do as they please- its not like Ahnold will be left stateless if this occured.
                              There are international treaties covering it, actually, so it is not just Austria's call. It is thought not a good thing to leave a person with no state.

I would suppose the governments who got together and came up with a treaty on citizenship would care.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

1. Luxembourg

26%? Wow. When did things go to hell over there?
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X