Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arnie's Austrian citizenship to be terminated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
    OK, some corrections.
    @Oerdin and Patroklos: What do you mean the "left of center Austrian PM"""disagreement with his government"? Please, read an article before commenting. We have a conservative government and the proposal came from an oppositional Green politican.
    The green party is a left of center party and Plaz is a MP in it. I meant MP as in member of parliment but I typed PM.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa

Shows once more that the US is nothing but reactionary.
      Eurosnobs might want to think twice about foreign criticism helping a US politician. Schroeder didn't even need to invite criticism, he was able to get re-elected pure on slamming the US.
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        The SA was destroyed in 1936. Waldheim was a leading officer in a unit that deported Greek (maybe Yugoslavian, maybe both) Jews to a death camp.
        Leading officer... I heard he was a translator after serving in the SA.

My main reason for posting however was to point out that he wasn't in the SS, and also that he wasn't Prime Minister later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          Let me get this straight. Murders and rapists never have people calling for them to lose their citizenship but you do want elected politicians who carry out the duties of their office to lose their citizenship? That doesn't make sense at all.
          Why, yes. In my book, government-sanctioned murder ranks higher than murder on personal grounds. In one case one man takes another man's life, in the other an entire society participates in the act.

But either way, yes, people with a double nationality *have* been stripped of one of their nationalities in the past, and although I usually see it as moving the problem elsewhere rather than solving it, it can certainly happen if there's a legal framework for it (as is the case in Austia).

Stripping someone of his only nationality is a different matter though (there are international treaties dealing with that), but that's not the case here.
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

old europe

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X
              I´d say his films do more damage to Austria them his actions as a governor... But how come you only hear about Austria when it´s in connection with some right-wing nut? I mean Adolf Hitler, Jörg Haider and whatshisname the former prime minister that was some hotshot in the SS?
              don't be badmouthing his films dammit!

well maybe his later films. He is a quality actor who has made many fine movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

I hear the greens are so worked up over this that they've started a petetion drive to rename the sports stadium named after Arnie.
                Yes, I don't know what that should help...
                Anyway in a month this will be forgotten again.

Eurosnobs might want to think twice about foreign criticism helping a US politician. Schroeder didn't even need to invite criticism, he was able to get re-elected pure on slamming the US.
                Schröder was reelected, because his opponent was the Bavarian PM (Edmund Stoiber) and everybody in Germany hates Bavarians and especially Stoiber.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                  The death penalty is an absolutely barbaric practice that doesn't befit any remotely civilized country -- such as Austria. Taking away Ahnold's citizenship would of course merely be a symbolic gesture, but it would be a signal of intent
                  you guys just don't understand how bad crime is here in the U.S. I don't think none of you are qualified to say whether we should have the death penalty or not.

You guys would probably just cower in fear if you were in cities such as Detroit or south central LA.

Comment

So you take the high crime rate to judge the need for DP to reduce it?
                    Ummm for how long has the DP been in effect now?

You guys would probably just cower in fear if you were in cities such as Detroit or south central LA.
                    I'm pretty sure I would. But what does that say?
                    How many people from Detroit get executed? Or from south central LA?

Comment

I think I need to make my support known again:

Arnold
                      Austrian Green Party politicians who have more than a few brain cells missing
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

thumb down for both

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                          So you take the high crime rate to judge the need for DP to reduce it?
                          Ummm for how long has the DP been in effect now?

I'm pretty sure I would. But what does that say?
                          How many people from Detroit get executed? Or from south central LA?
                          Few, if any. Notice however that Texas has 3 cities in the top 20 safest cites:
                          safest US cities

Something to think about.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            you guys just don't understand how bad crime is here in the U.S. I don't think none of you are qualified to say whether we should have the death penalty or not.
                            So in response to all the murders you're gonna murder people yourself? Yeah, that's real civilized

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus

So in response to all the murders you're gonna murder people yourself? Yeah, that's real civilized
                              how is putting them in a cage like animals any more civilized?

you can't just let criminals go free. They must be punished. I support the death penalty, but not the system the U.S. currently uses. Far too likely for an innocent man to be put to death. Esp. if they are a minority.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                                how is putting them in a cage like animals any more civilized?
                                You're right, in the US the treatment of prisoners is abysmal (not that the situation in Europe is perfect). But that's not an excuse to start murdering them.

Comment

Working...
                                X