AU 505: Theseus' AADAR ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU 505: Theseus' AADAR ;)

OK, OK, a little late to the party, but I was challenged by Dominae to get this done, and a little blizzard we are having here in NYC gave me a good chance.

First, to recap the two DARs that I *did* post:
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Originally posted by Theseus
    DAR 1 - Through 2150 BC

AU Mod - Emperor

Even though I participated in setting up the game, I figured I could follow my own personal rule set for early play, and not be too far off from a 'fair' challenge.

Accordingly, on the start, I explored with the Scout, and decided to move the Settler 7 to access both fishes. I immediately started chopping the starting tile. On the second turn, after founding the capitol, I went through the F10 process of identifying all AI civs and analyzing their starting techs, and chose CB as my first research at 100%. I also, and this is *important*, started immediately on a granary... no units.

I explored further north first as there is the hill at 88 of my capitol... so much for the north!!

I then headed down the east coast to benefit from the Scout's two moves, then south and west with the range of mountains... I was being lazy, and actually using the mouse to point two-tile moves, and did so onto a hut!!! Well, thank the lord I hadn't built any units, and I got WC for free. I also, on the same move, saw the dreaded red culture outline of Rome.

With the silks mined and roaded into Washington, I still needed 34 shields for the granary, so I started on some more chopping.

Met Rome... damnit, just as I had picked up WC, they had somehow picked up CB!! Masonry and Pottery for Alphabet+10g. I only had 3 turns to go on CB, so I let that be.

After that, The Wheel at 100% and 15 turns.

The second chop completed with Washington at 2 pop, 5 turns to completion, and 8 turns to growth... that is muy efficient!!

Hmm... with all of the extra gold generated by the silks, methinks Washington will make a superb Colossus and then Super-Science-City.

Met Greece... WOW!! They have BW and 0g, while I have Pottery, WC, CB, and 24g. BW for Pottery. I immediately check with Rome, and they must have just completed BW (on the way to IW, no doubt).

Some turns later: MWAHAHAHA, the Greeks have 2 Workers in Athens, and I trade WC for them!!

By now, I have determined to commit to 3-tile CP, although ICS depending on my REX.

10% lux keeps the still empty W-ton happy enough at 3 pop.

I research the Wheel... Greece has nothing to trade, and Rome has Mysticism, which is too expensive, but I am able to snag another Worker. :chucklechuckle:

Greece gets to IW first; I am able to trade for it with CB, the Wheel, and 1gpt. I get Mysticism from Rome for IW and 1gpt. I am very happy to enter into these gpt deals, on the theory that it will help prevent the AI civs from attacking (defenderless) me. [EDIT: Even though, yes, trading IW to Rome feels like giving nuclear technology to Kim Il Jung. ]

Met Carthage... the laggard. Get 20g for CB.

Got Boston built just before the end of the DAR. I'm pretty sure I'll get to Writing first, or damn close to it, and then on to Philosophy.
    Pic is in the original thread.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
      DAR 2 - Through 1000 BC

AU Mod - Emperor

Finished Writing in 1950BC... first to it, at least locally. Trady Mysticism to Greece for 25g and Carthage for 15g. Trade Writing to Rome for HBR and 40g. Philosophy next at 100%, with 92g in the bank, losing -3gpt, and still a 47 turn rate.

I've been darting my Scout in and out of Grecian borders... I don;t know if that makes them mad, but Greece demands Writing!! I bet the ranch, refuse, and am OK.

I road the tiles at 3 and 2 (cow) of Boston, then go back to irrigate both. Having built a Warrior and Curraugh there, I will build one Settler before turning it into a pump with a Granary. Once, I've done that, I am planning on a Temple for W-ton, moving the Warrior there as an MP, and then going for the Colossus.

LOTS of micromanaging to time Settler builds to growth.... playing with every town and with the lux slider almost every turn to achieve the right timing. ( to nbarclay) HBR to Greece for 30g.

1500BC: Spot the Germans to the west, but my Curraugh suicides on the way.

Rome demands 23g... I accede to the SPQR.

1250BC: First to Philosophy. Big Picture trading nets Polytheism, Literature, and 70g from Rome. Greece and Carthage have nothing to offer. Tough choice next between Monarchy, Mapmaking, and Code of Laws, as the first is so much more valuable. However, as I hope to avoid warring until Fascism as much as possible, I chose CoL, with Republic next, at 109g in the bank, 0.8.2, losing -4gpt, 15 turns. Philosophy to Greece for 25g and a Worker. Code of Laws to Rome for 30g. Philo and Poly to Carthage for Mapmaking.

I start crowding Rome and Greece for REX purposes. Flips hopefully to follow.

Built embassies with Rome and Greece.

The Settler at Chicago22 is headed one tile further south, and will settle at Cumae633 / Thermopylae44.

I am the only civ going for the Colossus, so that is looking good.
      Pic is in the original thread.

Comment

DAR 3 - Middle Ages / Home Continent Explored

Completed Republic in 925 BC... good lead on the AI civs, nothing worth trading for Republic at the moment. Trade HBR to Carthage for 25g. Math in 7 turns at 1.7.2.

Built the Colossus in Washington in 875 BC, and then the Mausoleum in 570BC. At tech parity with local neighbors. Looking back, don't know why I didn't keep sending Galleys to the west... I could see a blue cultural outline. Dumbdumbdumb.

Entered the Middle Ages in 290BC, at tech parity except for Monarchy, and Feudalism owned by only the Greeks, having gotten it as a free tech.

Rome is at war with BOTH Greece and Carthage, and is continuously crossing my southern territory, thankfully with nothing worse than Archers.
        Attached Files

Comment

DAR 4 - Contact with All AI Civs

Made all contacts in a verrry late 400AD!! Tech parity with Carthage, ahead by Banking or more with everyone else. Planted embassies as quickly as possible to get a sense of where the AI civs are.

Life has been fairly peaceful locally... due to tech trading and gifts, I've got Rome and Greece at polite, Carthage at annoyed.

Interestingly, Carthage got SoZ and the Celts got Knights Templar... thank god it wasn't the other way around! The Celts are kicking ass, scorewise at least.
          Attached Files

Comment

DAR 5 - Research of Fascism Complete

710AD was a GLORIOUS year!!!!

Completed Theory of Gravity first, and was awarded the SGL Albert Einstein (look in Washington) (yeah, so he's a touch early!!).

And, got to within one turn of a hard-build of Smith's, so I'm effectively guaranteed two GWs in a row in Washington! YAY!!

The Celts, btw, have started a massive smack-down of Germany. I had started a Knights force, for upgrade to Cavs and immediate attack on the advent of Fascism... I had originally planned on not going with any kind of horse force, planning on Tanks instead, but I too impatient.

Completed Fascism in 940AD... interestingly, so did Rome in that year! Not quite ready to revolt right away, as, in the just-recognized absence of saltpeter , I would need a serious Knights force ready before attacking Rome.
            Attached Files

Comment

DAR 6 - A Power-Hungry Fascist Bastard!!

Emerged from anarchy in 1220AD... immediate attack on Rome (along with Total Diplo War). Fairly ugly actually, as I was still a bit underpowered. I had wanted to capture nearby Cumae with saltpeter, south central Pompeii with iron/coal, and Rome herself for Leo's. Well, it took me 4 turns just to capture the resource cities, and I actually had to perform a strategic withdrawal from Rome!!

But capture them I did, upgraded the Knights to Heavy Cavs, and got busy. Things went pretty quickly from there, with Rome destroyed in 1320AD.

[NOTE: Was there something wrong with this scenario? I was never able to build the SPHQ!!! ]

The world knew peace... unfortunately, the war had cost me a tech slowdown, and I was generally behind by Corporation and Rep Parts. The good news: I had Atomic Theory and a pre-build for ToE timed for three turns hence.

1340AD: Weeeeelll, allllriiighty then!!!! Ahead by Electronics at minimum; have all strat resources except oil, have 8 lux, have 2600g even after all Infantry/Guerrilla upgrades, my first Heavy Cav Army out and about, and in a GW-triggered GA!!

The good news: Greece is next, and Athens has Sun Tzu, Bach, and Longevity. The bad news: The Celts are still just kicking boo-tay, with a score of 2004 compared to my 1072.

I proceeded knock the crap outta Greece and Carthage over the next couple hundred years, gaining from Carthage Shakespeare, Copernicus, and Universal Suffrage of the current GWs; also completed Hoover in Washington in 1440AD.

Unfortunately, the friggin' Celts more or less completed their continental 'cleansing in the same time frame!!!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Theseus; January 22, 2005, 21:50.

Comment

I decided not to jump at them with Heavy Cavs and Tanks, but rather wait for a Modern Age IC invasion. First off, I wanted to see how well Fascism could perform at this stage from a builder perspective (answer: OK, I guess, but I'd rather be Commie), and second, I like some late-game modern mayhem every once in a while!!

I didn;t really get started on a military build-up until about 1770AD. That century, I had completed all of my SWs (including Iron Works), as well as Cure for Cancer, Internet, and SETI. So, in addition to Hydro Plants and Research Labs, by that time major cities had completed everything up through Hospitals (if they made sense... mostly coastal), Offshore Platforms, and Mass Transit; minor towns/cities had completed at least a Temple, Library, and Harbor, and many were working on Courts. So, a fairly good build out... and the Celts and I stayed pretty neck-and-neck in research, so I can't really *complain* about Fascism, but... (more in the After Game comments).

Heeeeeyyyyy... wait-a-g*ddamn-everlovin'-piss-me-off-to-no-limit second... NO ALUMINUM??!!! %#)(*$()U^@*)$#%^_@#$)O^%$#_^@$

And with this embarassment of other riches??!!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Theseus; January 22, 2005, 21:52.

Comment

This made me... angry.

So, on to planning a truly massive late-game (but un-upgraded) invasion:
                  Attached Files

Comment

This was ready and in position in 1914AD, and I launched the attack the next turn. The Aluminum Landing is at Munich11 in the pic below.

BTW, notice that the Celts have completed the conquest of their home continent, including cultural expansion. They were pretty strong too, with: 25 Spec Forces, 23 Infs, 73 TOWs, 272 Mech Infs, 19 Tanks, 62 Modern Armor, 30 Jet Fighters, 32 Bombers, 30 Destroyers, 12 Aegis Cruisers, 17 Battleships, 8 Carriers, and 6 assorted Subs, among other forces.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Aaaahhh, nuclear weapons, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

7 out of 20 hits, even through SDI.
                      Attached Files

Comment

1918AD:
                        Attached Files

Comment

And that was, obviously, the beginning of the end for the Celts. It took a lot longer than it should have, however, as I stupidly kept nuking their heartland, at one point blocked my 'wheeled' MAs from getting over their mountains. Thus it took me waaaay to long to get this far:
                          Attached Files

Comment

There were some other fun events along the way:

* Many MGLs, ending with 13 Armies and having rushed a number of high-shield buildings on the Celt continent;

* Bombarding the crap outta whatever Celt resources I could find;

* Fun and games with Spec Forces, wasting the Celts movement and eating up a lot more of their offensive forces than I would have expected;

* Nuking a two-stack Celt fleet, taking out (I think) 3 Battleships, 3 Aegis Cruisers, 2 Carriers, 2 Transports, and whatever loaded units there were; etc.

I ended the game via domination the next turn, with a score of 3657 (versus the Celts' 5164!!!).

TADA!!

EDIT: Also, note that in the Final Invasion the only accompaniments to Transports were Cruisers; this was due to movement rates, as I have posted before. My current style is that naval units of like movement (wellll... within one movement rate of each other) travel together... PERIOD. And I don't like it.
                            Last edited by Theseus; January 23, 2005, 00:13.

Comment

Now, I don't really know if there is even a point of me asking this, but, what about that DAR/AAR you were going to finish for me several months ago?

Comment

Working...
                              X