Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion for next AU course (after AU505)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestion for next AU course (after AU505)

Originally posted by Dominae
    Well, unless Theseus is planning on writing his DAR this weekend...
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Re: Suggestion for next AU course (after AU505)

...I think we can safely say that AU505 is a done deal...
        Well for the record, I still intend to finish AU505.....just haven't had the time

But yeh, I'm with Modo and a few others....Zulu is a great choice, because it'll pretty much force me to attack early and generate a GA.

As for the map, how about large-island Archipelago to mix it up a bit? An early warfare game on a Pangea may be a little....(dare I say it, with Dominae setting it up? )....easy?

Yeh, Archipelago....(or small Continents).....beeline to Map Making, load those Impis onto boats and go a-pillaging!
        So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
        Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
          I'm inclined to agree with Dominae...
          Well, I guess there's a first time for everything

Comment

No archipelago, please. The Zulu are not Seafaring, and they excel in flat land, where Impis can rock. If you start on an island with one, or without opponents, where's the early warfare? There's one more thing about pangeas, that would force going to war even more - the AI will box you in very quickly, so not much REX for ya.
            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
              The Zulu are not Seafaring, and they excel in flat land, where Impis can rock.
              Ah, you want it to be easy then it seems

Comment

Originally posted by Aqualung71
                Ah, you want it to be easy then it seems
                I want it to be interesting. Having to research MapMaking before any fights come by is no good for early warfare. Neither is easy REXing with few opponents nearby.

If you find it too easy, play on Sid.

Comment

Do pangeas really make it harder to get a good REX in and of themselves, or is the main issue that if players are playing from a combination of difficulty level and starting position where AIs can out-REX them, a pangea magnifies that issue by allowing more AIs to out-REX them?

Personally, I much prefer continents maps because they make for a more multi-dimensional game. But it might be worthwhile for AU to have courses based on pangeas every now and then, and I can't remember the last time we played an AU game on a pangea map. And a pangea would be best for showcasing the potential power of early warfare because on pangeas, clobbering neighbors early doesn't undercut a civ's tech trading ability nearly as much as it does on other map settings. (Of course the flip side to that is that we wouldn't learn as much about the price that early warfare can exact in the tech race on other map settings.)

Comment

Ah well, I just thought Archipelago may be a little more interesting strategy-wise, if the objective is to go to war as early as possible. Perhaps this is partly because I happen to rate AU501 amongst the best AU games of recent times.

I am sure many will disagree

Comment

I had a bit of time on my hands yesterday and generated a map that think would fit well with this course. Unless someone else wants to take a turn at "map making", or unless we want another theme for the next course, I can get the ball rolling on this one.

Just in time for the work week!
                      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
                        Do pangeas really make it harder to get a good REX in and of themselves, or is the main issue that if players are playing from a combination of difficulty level and starting position where AIs can out-REX them, a pangea magnifies that issue by allowing more AIs to out-REX them?
                        Yes, they definately do. The less coast you have, the more neighbours will be coming in from all sides. You can't set up efficient choke points to block the AI, if you sit smack in the middle of the land mass. Not in all directions. Also, you don't get a "border" protected for free by the coast.

Comment

...I can get the ball rolling on this one...
                          i have a free evening on Monday!

Should really finish 505, got some momentum back today, and looking forward to some modern age carnage.

James

Comment

Working...
                          X