EU bans symbols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molly bloom
    The Nazi swastika, as far as I can ascertain, is usually or always, a right facing black swastika. Celtic and Asian swastikas (and swastika type symbols found in other cultures such as Native American) usually face left.
    Buddhist swastikas go left, but Hindi ones go both ways (universal balance and stuff).

I imagine banning the right-handed swastika would either serve no purpose whatesoever, or force neo-Nazis to pervert the left-handed swastika as well.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I wonder how Germany and France will oppress the other members this time to get this ban through
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
        Then ban the hammer and sickle.
        If Russia decided to do that, I wouldn't cry about it.

But UR made a good point... the cross should be banned before the hammer and sickle.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
          Yeah, let's team up with China - ban Falun Gong!
          Good idea

The Buddist "swastika" came from Hinduism, AFAIK, and the other sign on the image you linked to is Daoist (the Yin-Yang figure).
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

This is typically the kind of issues that should be left to Member-States.

When the EU makes idiotic attempts to rear its nose where it doesn't belong, such as this case, is when it becomes unpopular

I completely agree with the German ban on Swastikas, and I don't have a principled opposition on such a ban in other countries. But that's to these other countries to decide, not to the EU.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

You say 'unpopular', Spiffor, but what stops them from doing it? If they shouldn't get their noses into it, what makes them able to?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

I completely agree with the German ban on Swastikas, and I don't have a principled opposition on such a ban in other countries. But that's to these other countries to decide, not to the EU.

Education trumps knee-jerk banning every time, especially less than a fortnight away from the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I don't think banning swastikas does anything good. We don't believe the very shape is so mesmerizing it turns people into Nazis, do we?

Incidentally, assuming this ban isn't enacted, couldn't we take Germany and Austria to the EU Court over the ban? It, afterall, constitutes an obstacle to inter-member commerce by forcing gaming companies to make special Nazi-symbol-free versions of WWII games.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                    I don't think banning swastikas does anything good. We don't believe the very shape is so mesmerizing it turns people into Nazis, do we?

Incidentally, assuming this ban isn't enacted, couldn't we take Germany and Austria to the EU Court over the ban? It, afterall, constitutes an obstacle to inter-member commerce by forcing gaming companies to make special Nazi-symbol-free versions of WWII games.
                    I rather suspect the putative 'ban' would have some sensible limitations- i.e., not recalling vast amounts of history books, or rummaging through second hand bookshops for the Daily Express Annual 1939, which as I recall had a page illustrating aircraft of the world- although without the warning that

'Yes, dear readers, very soon you'll be seeing some of the swastikad ones over our skies soon!'

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

That relates to what I said how?
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                        That relates to what I said how?

'It, afterall, constitutes an obstacle to inter-member commerce by forcing gaming companies to make special Nazi-symbol-free versions of WWII games.'

That bit, peut-etre?

After all, aren't they going to have to determine what is for educational, or entertainment purposes, and what is glorification or propagation of Nazism when it comes to depictions or reproduction of the Nazi symbol ?

I can't imagine, for instance, that they'd ask the Imperial War Museum to cleanse its Holocaust Gallery of any offensive symbols.

Comment

After all, aren't they going to have to determine what is for educational, or entertainment purposes, and what is glorification or propagation of Nazism when it comes to depictions or reproduction of the Nazi symbol ?
                          They usually make these differences here. Or at least they try to, of course in reality it is not easy. You can argue perhaps it would be better not to ban that at all, but at least for my country I'd say it was the right thing after WWII (and let's not forget the German laws in this aspect are/were influenced by the Allied judgement at Nuremberg), and probably for the next time. I could imagine they lift the ban when some time has passed.....
                          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

You can argue perhaps it would be better not to ban that at all, but at least for my country I'd say it was the right thing after WWII (and let's not forget the German laws in this aspect are/were influenced by the Allied judgement at Nuremberg), and probably for the next time. I could imagine they lift the ban when some time has passed.....
                            I'd certainly agree that the ban on swastikas in West Germany has to be looked at in the context of the aftermath of the war, denazification, and education, and certainly shouldn't just be viewed simply as an affront to free speech and the body politic.

Given the horrendous treatment of Germany's own citizens (Jews and non-jews) at the hands of the Nazis, and the appalling levels of destruction and depopulation, I'd argue that it constitutes a special case when it comes to sensitivity over the symbol issue.

But then, West Germany achieved much more in its efforts to enlighten the general populace about what really happened. The reactions of Japanese visitors to the War museum in Singapore offers a very interesting contrast.

I just wish some people would stop treating today's Germans as if they were still responsible for what happened in 1933, or 1936, or 1938, or 1945....

Vorsprung durch Freundschaft.

Comment

I just wish some people would stop treating today's Germans as if they were still responsible for what happened in 1933, or 1936, or 1938, or 1945....
                              Basil: "Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it. So it's all forgotten now and let's hear no more about it. So that's two egg mayonnaise, a prawn Goebbels, a Herman Goering and four Colditz salads....no, wait a minute...I got confused because everyone keeps mentioning the war."

German: "Will you stop mentioning the war?"

Basil: " You started it."

German: " We did not start it."

Basil: " Yes you did, you invaded Poland..."

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I'd certainly agree that the ban on swastikas in West Germany has to be looked at in the context of the aftermath of the war, denazification, and education, and certainly shouldn't just be viewed simply as an affront to free speech and the body politic.

Given the horrendous treatment of Germany's own citizens (Jews and non-jews) at the hands of the Nazis, and the appalling levels of destruction and depopulation, I'd argue that it constitutes a special case when it comes to sensitivity over the symbol issue.
                                Yep, although it wasn't easy. Initially after the war, and far into the 50ies a large part of the German society lived in a self-constructed myth of being the true victims of the war. Other "unpleasant" memories about the things like the Holocaust, warcrimes, treatment of minorities or political opponents were marginalized to some extent by at least a part of the population. It took a while before reality finally got through. In this aspect I'd also say the reaction of the Allies (and the following German laws) regarding the NSDAP, other Nazi orgs and subsequently the use of their symbols was the only right decision, since it opened the chance to change the public view on the war deeply although slowly over the years.

Vorsprung durch Freundschaft.
                                Blah

Comment

Working...
                                X