No announcement yet.

EU bans symbols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rather than permaban it, just give it a 50% PCR.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

To the people who say this will never happen, I point to the case a couple of years ago when the joint EU council decided to politically isolate for months the member state of Austria - because the rest of the EU didn't like how their (democratic) elections and subsequent forming of a coalition government turned out.

On occasion, the EU wishes so much to put its foot down and do "the right thing" that it will gladly abandon any sensible reasoning of the wider perspective.

I agree BTW, that while Germany may have understandable and proper cause for upholding such a ban, the rest of Europe ought to stay clear of restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
        Then ban the hammer and sickle.
        Ban the cross too, while you are at it.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Edit/ Although I'd be interested to see the public reaction in Britain if it's tried. How many people actually would fight for the right to free expression of something they loathed?
          It would probably make Prince Harry a hero, in one of the most ironic turnabouts in history.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Rather than restricting freedom, maybe they could enlarge it. *Ahem*, French school dress laws. *Ahem*
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

This is a classic example of a law which doesn't need to be directivized. There's no need to force every German law down every member nation's throats.

Rather than restricting freedom, maybe they could enlarge it. *Ahem*, French school dress laws. *Ahem*
              Japanese have school uniforms -- isn't it even 'worse' in that regard? Why aren't you ever bashing 'em for those?

Comment

So Germany thinks that German laws should be enforced on the rest of Europe? Doesn't that sound familiar? Do I hear the jackboots marching?

Anyway, what would happen to the Finnish presidential flag?

"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                  Japanese have school uniforms -- isn't it even 'worse' in that regard? Why aren't you ever bashing 'em for those?
                  Do they ban yarmelkes from Jewish students or head dress from Sikhs? Or a simple cross? If they did, I would bash them.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Do they ban yarmelkes from Jewish students or head dress from Sikhs? Or a simple cross? If they did, I would bash them.
                    So you're honestly thinking that they banned dresses, which cover so much skin that it's impossible to tell one student apart from another, just because they were muslim symbols?

Stefu: What about Finnish Air Force?

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

So you're honestly thinking that they banned dresses, which cover so much skin that it's impossible to tell one student apart from another, just because they were muslim symbols?
                      What?
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Re: ?

Never mind, then...

Comment

Didn't they ban crosses, and yarmelkes, and Sikh head dress, and everything else along with the burka? I seem to have read many French posters saying that they totally agreed with it as it went hand in hand with the tradition of anti-religious feeling within the Republic(s).

Muslim girls wear burkas, ban crosses! It makes total sense.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

Ban the cross too, while you are at it.
                            Sure, why not?

There go half the flags of Europe.

Hey, maybe that's the whole plan of the EU.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yeah, let's team up with China - ban Falun Gong!

So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                                Yeah, let's team up with China - ban Falun Gong!

The Nazi swastika, as far as I can ascertain, is usually or always, a right facing black swastika. Celtic and Asian swastikas (and swastika type symbols found in other cultures such as Native American) usually face left.

Besides, the Nazi swastika usually comes in black, on a white circle on a red ground. It's not likely it would be mistaken for a 3000 year old Celtic artefact or part of a Tibetan Buddhist mandala.
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X