No announcement yet.

US Troops Destroy Babylon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SIZE=1] How would the US feel if someone decided to burn down Paul Revere's house?
    Nah, they would probably be happy.

"Look, they have burned down Paul Revere's house!"
    "Finally. I hope they build a mall there, it's always good to have another mall".
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
      On a more serious note, this is terrible. These are world heritage sites IIRC. How would the US feel if someone decided to burn down Paul Revere's house?
      Outrage for a week, then everyone would forget. It's like 9/11. Forgotten. It's only useful to sell car ribbon magnets and Bush's foreign policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Knevil
        I know you're not very bright and your English comprehension is a bit off, so try and read carefully:

You are a moron. A moron who dances in the pits of the abyss.

Of course it's our ****ing heritage. The origins of civilization. The origins of the Middle East. The beginning of all that came after.... To simply claim that it's so distant that it doesn't matter is to **** alongside the stormtroopers of the Bush administration. To be so ignorant is inexcusable.
        Something so distant as to have virtually no consequence in our times does not constitute our heritage.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
          On a more serious note, this is terrible. These are world heritage sites IIRC. How would the US feel if someone decided to burn down Paul Revere's house?
          What's the historical value of Paul Revere's house? I can see Monticello or Mount Vernon or the Liberty Bell, but I don't see why anyone would or should care about that.

Comment

and yet another layer is added to the heap. At this point they ought to just leave the base there, someday archaeologists will study the occupation of Iraq.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

That's actually a good point

Comment

Outrage for a week, then everyone would forget. It's like 9/11. Forgotten. It's only useful to sell car ribbon magnets and Bush's foreign policy.

Perhaps that's what you think, but there is this whole group called "other people" who value different things than you do. Among the things they value are historical monuments.

I guess that living in the US, which doesn't have very much history, doesn't make this easy, but go trudge around an old castle or cathedral in Europe on a summer's day and see how packed it is.

People care for the simple reason that those ruins are the foundations of western civilization. It's the same reason people care about the Acropolis or the Vatican City.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to revolve around your prejudices.

Whoever forgot to tell the troops to be careful around these monuments was as stupid as the idiot who used the Sphinx for target practice.

What's the historical value of Paul Revere's house? I can see Monticello or Mount Vernon or the Liberty Bell, but I don't see why anyone would or should care about that.

Go say that out loud in Boston.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Someone should sue Kuci's school for incompetence.

I thought it was supposed to be a good one... yet it has managed to turn out an ignorant buffoon.

Bring back the rod!!!
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    I doubt more than 5% of Americans have heard the names Monticello and Mount Vernon (in the context of the houses, not towns )

I can just imagine all the rednecks getting blustery about something being destroyed that they didn't realize existed the day before.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriqvium
                      "And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird." (Rev. 18:2)

See? Bush is the Anti-Christ. Told ya.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

It's news like this that makes news of US war casualties all the sweeter.
                        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

In a situation where previously the Iraqis were led by a brutal maniac who murdered and tortured his own people, and today, and where today it is threatened by a fundamentalist fanatics who would like to set up a Taliban style state in Iraq, considerations over historical artifacts plae when considering everything else that is at stake.

Exactly, since we all know that the only way to save Iraq from the fundies (nevermind that the Sunni Arabs in rebellion are generally secular) is to set up bases in their most precious archeological sites. It's just common sense.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

It's news like this that makes news of US war casualties all the sweeter.
                            Eye for an Eye
                            Enjoying war casualties

I can just imagine all the rednecks getting blustery about something being destroyed that they didn't realize existed the day before.

Comment

Easy EK.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                                In a situation where previously the Iraqis were led by a brutal maniac who murdered and tortured his own people, and today, and where today it is threatened by a fundamentalist fanatics who would like to set up a Taliban style state in Iraq, considerations over historical artifacts plae when considering everything else that is at stake.
                                That's almost as funny as this conversation in an RPG session:

Villager, "What are you doing here?"
                                Morrow Project Team, "To restore civilisation."
                                Villager, "What's in your van?"
                                MPT, "High explosives."

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X