Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does KOHAN stand for?
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
      Korsun's Pocket is supposed to be a fantastic game. But I've been reluctant to purchase wargames. I'm not sure if I'd like them. Is there a demo out for these games. What about a demo for operational art of war? That's supposed to be real good as well. But I've never really played detailed war games such as that.

I find too much micromanagement to be tedius. Like the Red Front scenario for Civ2. Far too many units to move around.
      theres definitely a demo for TOAW, it includes the opening days (weeks?) of the Korea scenario. Its doesnt include a manual of course, and its not real easy to figure out the rules of that quite complex game. So probably not a good place to start. Theres also a demo of Age of Rifles, a somewhat simpler design by the same designer (Norm Koger) who did TOAW.

Im not sure where to get these demos these days. You might try asking on CSIPG.warhistorical, if USENET is ok for you.

In general you can find older used wargames for not very much money. Try an EB or other place with lots of used games (be very patient) or try Ebay.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Looks like HOI2 is going to model logistics and make you pay attention to it. It will stop steamrolling in the game.

Me want this one.
        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

There is an early demo:

GamersHell is the ultimate destination for gaming news, reviews, previews, videos and more.
          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
            What does KOHAN stand for?
            IIRC nothing; it's a name.

Comment

Hearts of Iron II
              Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

Re: Logistics

The topic of logistics is hardly ever seen in strategy games, where it's all about tactics, tactics, and more tactics. Does anyone know of any games that put the focus on logistics, supply lines, economics, and the like?
                Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Comment

Kohan's not a bad game, but it most certainly does not meet the requirements.
                  Depends how loosely you want to interpret them. The building of outposts and increasing supply ranges certainly seems logistical to myself.
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Well I don't think it's what he is after. If it is, then lots of games fit his requirements.

Comment

Re: Re: Logistics

Originally posted by Verto
                      Operation Iraqi Freedom.
                      You more or less summed it up there.
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

smiley, im still not clear on what aspects of logistics you mean. See my post above.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

In answer to Smiley's other question: KOHAN doesn't actually stand for anything other than the race of immortal heroes who lead your troops into battle. the full title is: Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns
                          -->Visit CGN!
                          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

LOTM, both economics and supply. On the economic side, it would mean more than one type of generic production resource, which would need to be available through supply lines. Sort of like Civ3 special resources but more in depth.

Comment

LOTM, both economics and supply. On the economic side, it would mean more than one type of generic production resource, which would need to be available through supply lines. Sort of like Civ3 special resources but more in depth.
                              Edit: that clarifies things - see below post.
                              Last edited by lord of the mark; January 6, 2005, 13:27.

Comment

So it sounds like you mean something on the lines of a Civ type TBS, not a detailed historically accurate war game.

Have you tried the Imperialisms? That might be right up your alley, or might be too much of a good thing.

In those you need to develop, ship and process several resources. Not only do you need the right amounts, and adequate labor forces (which can be leveraged through training) but you have to transport the resources - in Imp2 (early modern) for domestic resources you build roads. For overseas resources, you build a port, build roads to a port, and allocate ships. Ships must be allocated between resource imports, trade, and combat. In Imp1 (ive only played the demo) you have to expend resources on factory capacity, and building a rail line isnt enough - you have to build and allocate rolling stock.

However you do NOT have to establish supply lines to your forces. All of the above economic model is needed to BUILD forces. While you need food to support forces (as well as labor) you dont actually have to establish a line of communication to them. Lessens the realism of that side of things.

Comment

Working...
                                X