Political part : Biggest earthquake in 40 years hits Southeast Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political part : Biggest earthquake in 40 years hits Southeast Asia

I don't think that this will help, but it's worth a try.

If you want to express any anger against Bush, Blair or others currently at office because of their current handling of the situation in the earthquake area - then post here.

If you think that they should have acted otherwise - then post here.

If you think money should be used otherways than they are - then post here.

I might be flamed - I might even get Ming or one of his associates on my back for starting a new thread about a current issue, but i don't care. Keep the original thread clear for current news/info about the earthquake and keep the political issues in this.

Actually, i'm a little pissed of by certain posts in the main thread - please move your BS to here.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Thank you.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

They're giving plenty in aid to help people but no matter how much you give there will always be bastards whining it is not enough. Screw them.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

As I posted in the main thread, I suspect aid sent to India, Thailand and Malaysia will likely reach those it was intended to help. I would not be surprised if the hard hit Tamil regions of Sri Lanka receive a disproportionate amount of aid to the rest of the Sri Lankans effected.

I suspect sending money to Indonesia will, sadly be rather useless.

As for foreign government offers of aid - Canada has a state of the art mobile water purification unit that can supply safe water for ,iirc, 10,000 people per day. When asked if we would be sending it, the Prime Ministers' lackey stated that, "no one has asked for it." The same excuse, or rational was used for not sending it to Haiti a few months ago during the devastating flooding there. Fact is, Canada has no military transport planes capable of shipping it where it is needed. I'm a pacifist, but we need some military infrastructure, not just Brit and French castoffs.

Damn pathetic.
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Good idea. Having one single thread to cover all topics related to a disaster of biblical dimensions is not enough.

Burma says the number of dead is 90 people. Anyone believe that? Look at their coast on a map!
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            They're giving plenty in aid to help people but no matter how much you give there will always be bastards whining it is not enough. Screw them.
            That's because in a disaster of this dimension, you can never give too much.
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I'm proud of how our FM has managed this crisis. According to Swedish newspapers et all we were the fastest scandinavian govt. to act. No heads should roll over this. I think some of us are just being overly critical, wich is typical local attitude even promoted by our PM.
              Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Fastest? Pekka has told me how fast was fast for you guys.. three days right? I think the entire government in your country should resign and elections should be called up. The American government reacted swiftly and dispatched an entire carrier group for assistance.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  We are giving a fair amount, but no one will give even close to enough-no one ever does, in any disaster.

These questions are coming up thought due to the magnitude of the damage- most disasters strike just 1 or 2 states- not a dozen.

Everything is welcomed, but lets not kid ourselves about how large governmental generosity will be- governments do not have lots of money on hand for things like this, and much bigger priorities than international charity.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Right, two or three days. DId you just watch the press conference? They totally ****ed it up.

I mean, they are doing what they can NOW. But, response time was more than pathetic. Fastest, yeah because Swedes were even slower. Barely OK in european average standard. And what does that mean? Double pathetic anyway.

It was ****ed up. Foreign minister Tuomioja among the biggest **** ups there is. Did you listen to this guy? What kidn of ****** this POS is? Coming in like from having sex to TV once again with his 30 euro suit saying 'there are no casualties in Khao Lak? Did you hear how they managed the information gathering? They were like a day late with all of their information. EVERYONE else seemed to be on the tip of the real situation. Tuomioja was prolly too busy thinking something else. It doesn't amtter what he was doing, when it happens, he drops it all and concentrates 100% to this task. AND stops with his misinformation. IF he doesn't know, he says 'I DO NOT KNOW YET, I WILL BE BRIEFED SOON AFTER THIS' and not 'NO CASUALTIES IN THERE.'.

Did you see Niinistö? He was about to kick Tuomioja's sorry ass yesterday in the news. I wish he would have beaten the **** out of the commie ****. I know I'm biased, I hate that dude, but no matter how I look at this, he's a total **** up and deserves to lose his job over this.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I dont think Pekka has all his facts straight. The Finnish foreign Ministry has done excellent job. Not all of it just shows right away.
                      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Fez, the Finnish government actually reacted faster than the Swedish. But they had much less citizens to bring home, so their task was easier. Despite this, I heard a Finnish girl died on the airport while waiting for the ambulance plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                          Fez, the Finnish government actually reacted faster than the Swedish. But they had much less citizens to bring home, so their task was easier. Despite this, I heard a Finnish girl died on the airport while waiting for the ambulance plane.
                          How fast was "faster"? Still very slow right? A finnish girl died on the airport while waiting? That's unacceptably slow. What is with Europe?
                          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

laurentius, and you rinformation is what? I'm judging him from what I see him talking. So far he has said nothing intelligent. All he had to do was say something, but all he could say was misinformation. That's NOT professional. He was talking out of his head!

PS. 2 days response IS NOT EXCELLENT by any standards. Yes they were faster than Swedes but they had a lot less of a job to do, plus what does that tell us, Swedes had huge problems too with their response time. And you call that excellent? Ich don't think so.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Pekka is really pissed... why were these governments so slow and incompetent to begin with? These were their citizens who were missing (and were possibly dead)?

Comment

Working...
                              X