Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC Homepage discontinued?

SMAC Homepage

I used to check it from time to time because of faction profiles, but lately I noticed that it is unavailable, however Firaxis pages give link to it and do not mention anything about discontinuing maintance of the page in the news for the last few months. Have I missed something or this is just the level of their disregard for the SMAC community?
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

It's just the level of disregard for the SMAC community. The game is five years old, and they'll aim for a different target public for Civ4, so why care about us?
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Looks like it's gone. Google has a cache of the page dated 12/17/04. Also gone is the Firaxis page with SMAC/SMAX patches.
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

booo !!! nows a good time to zip and email myself the patch then before i need it again.

cheap, lousy firaxis why do you taunt us so !
        Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

It would be nice if they could release smac/smacx source code, so that the community could correct bugs and improve the game.
          Maybe if the community could organize itself to make some preassure to firaxis regarding that issue.

Comment

People have been saying that for many years, unfortunately firaxis doesn't care.
            Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

the smac community needs to look to the future. civ4 will be very modable. we as a community should get started on a 'return to alpha centauri' project

Comment

Even if it is very modable, I don't think it will feature a design workshop, special abilities or SE settings (except for gov).

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerus
                  People have been saying that for many years, unfortunately firaxis doesn't care.
                  Shakespeare was considered mediocrer at best during his life time. Give it time. If Firaxis decides they are too big to deal with a five year old game, some one will come around to buy it from them and do the right thing.

I have a feeling they are going to try to lure us to Civ4 with an advanced feature set. They can't just make a new copy of Civ3 and expect good sales. They are going to have to bring something new to the table.
                  "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
                  "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
                  "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
                  "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Well, SMAC is still being repackaged with various sets so it can't really have it's source code released. SMACX isn't unfortunantly though. Not sure why, you wouldn't think the licensing would be that much more.
                    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

If it is still being repackeged, why there are no new patches? Everybody knows that there are many bugs left. Why its page has been discontinued? Why the patches are no longer available for download?

Comment

There aren't many bugs left. You can play through the entire game multiple times without crashes or problems. Yes, there are problems still, but really nothing serious.

And you can still find the patches online. Right here: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_temp.asp?patch=smac for example. Took me less than a minute to bring up and this is on dialup. Things aren't as horrible as you make them out to be.
                        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

It's the end of an era

Comment

SMAC will never die!!!
                            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

And Gamespot still has decent coverage (with all the downlaod patches):

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

And a readable strategy guide and scenario/map designer help:

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

Comment

Working...
                              X