Frontier - First Encounters(Elite3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frontier - First Encounters(Elite3)

Ok this is an oldie that i'm considering getting. Its now a shareware release, you can get it to download from here http://www.frontier.co.uk/ .

The deal is you download it and can use it for 30days, then you have to send £5 off to play it as if you bought it.
    I was quite an Elite fan in the early days of computer games, and later got into the second game on the amiga.

Do people feel this game is worth £5 as i've arleady played and enjoyed the other two. I've heard its pretty buggy(but then the second game was as well) and it will look really old graphicaly.

Anyone play this still, or played it recently and have any words of wisdom to a prospective purchaser?

JJFFE(windows friendly version(linux too!)) available here:
    eliteclub.org.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, eliteclub.org.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

NOTE: you will still need the shareware(DOS) version to get sound/music etc.
    Last edited by child of Thor; July 30, 2005, 10:41.
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Elite 3 is just a remake of Elite 2 with better (for the times) graphics. And the return of the Targoids I never played it though, I just roam around in my Imperial Courier in Elite 2 every now and then. May be you should google for it, there are loads of sites about Elite.

Oh, and since this post made me an Emperor I'll just edit this one instaed of making a new post : Elite 3 has a plot, although you don't have to follow it.
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

Download it.

If you still happen to be playing the game 30 days later, it seems you feel it is worth £5.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Well said, SB
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
          Download it.

If you still happen to be playing the game 30 days later, it seems you feel it is worth £5.
          Well your logic has won me over : - i downloaded it and have been playing non-stop

Originally posted by Hueij
          Elite 3 is just a remake of Elite 2 with better (for the times) graphics. And the return of the Targoids I never played it though, I just roam around in my Imperial Courier in Elite 2 every now and then.
          I played Elite 2 on the amiga and i'm finding the graphics for FFE much more pixelated, i would call them blocky for sure! even with graphical detail set to maximum. And i really am not keen on the Hud sight for your weapons - its massive!
          Apart from these little grumbles - i'm finding the game more fun than Frontier(Elite 2). The space combat is much harder for one thing.
          On the amiga it was incredibly rare to get attacked by more than one ship at a time(there might be a few ships after you, but they would rarely be able to get a shot on you all at the same time), FFE seems to fix that and its more like the battles from the origonal Elite, with multiple attacks at the same time. Shields are essential in all but the smallest craft!

Bugs are still here like in Frontier. Auto pilots crashing you on landing/takeing off etc. Various little glitches on the ships control panel and Hud - targeting glitches from time to time when things get frantic, and in the navigation targeting mode. I've seen most of these in the Amiga Frontier version, so i've got my work arounds for these.
          But generally really enjoying it so far, and these are my impressions:

Good

New music is cool
          New ships always good to have
          New Journals are a really great idea(could be worth the £5 by themselves - they really bring you into the game universe)
          Real Thargoids.....somewhere
          Its still Elite!

Not so good
          Using real actors on the bullitin boards(not that you get them in the shareware version - thankgod!)
          Bugs...as usual
          the ammount of time that this game will suck up

So far it's battleing with Halo2(on my xbox) for my attention, and putting up a great fight!
          Last edited by child of Thor; January 7, 2005, 18:37.
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

Good to hear.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Personally I wouldn't play this now.........but if you think you'll get something out of it £5 isn't very much.

Comment

well yes, it is tricky to get it running all ok. You need DOS drivers for mouse and soundcards etc, and i'm not that keen on the dark blue colour of space.

Still there is another option i've discovered - from the website you can get a link to one that gives you a program called JJFE(something like that).
                This program allows you to run it under windows, so no need to mess around with DOS drivers etc. I can also select just how black i like space to look.
                Plus i can use the power of my AWE64 Midi to get really great sounds - none of the 'bleepy boopy' stuff

I'll send off my £5 after xmas/new year postal rush has died down a bit - just hope Frontier Development are still running to be able to accept my money.....?.......?

I would say if your a die-hard Elite fan, then this is the best version available, somehow all the other attempts at elite since never quite manged to get the vibe?

maybe its because they look too good?

I'm looking forward to getting hold of the new 'Quest' ship that is available - its the one in the opening title animations, at the momment my trusty Asp will have to do, just need a new crewman as the one i had to get was wanted by some people - they keep sending ships to attack him(and me!!).

Remember, in space no one will hear you scream 'Thargoid!'

Comment

Tip: Find planets where you can buy slaves really cheap to make monster cash early on. Don't forget life support though, all they all turn to rotten food.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                    well yes, it is tricky to get it running all ok. You need DOS drivers for mouse and soundcards etc, and i'm not that keen on the dark blue colour of space.

Still there is another option i've discovered - from the website you can get a link to one that gives you a program called JJFE(something like that).
                    This program allows you to run it under windows, so no need to mess around with DOS drivers etc.

Much less messing around

Comment

@reds4ever - yeah that was the one, but you still need the shareware version to get the sound/music.

Originally posted by DrSpike
                      Tip: Find planets where you can buy slaves really cheap to make monster cash early on. Don't forget life support though, all they all turn to rotten food.
                      c'mon - i'm a citizen of the allied planets! I have no truck with the evil Imperials and slave trading.
                      Plus i lost my save game, so i'm back in my Saker MkIII - i dont think i have room for cargo bay life support. slaves=fertilizer for the time being

But what i do to make some safe+quick money early on, is to take of from the spaceport of Hope and manualy fly to Currie spaceport - then you can take part in the 'Wiccan Run' challange(its talked about in your journals). You'll need 2tonnes of fuel as its two jumps to get to Alioth in your ship. An easy 1010 credits and a mention in the game journals.

Then fly medical supplies to Sohilia(again mentioned in one of the journals) to help in the outbrake of a plague. You can get 2000 credits per tonne for a while on that run, and bag a few pirates(or jelous losers of the wiccan run race?) on the way

After that the universe is your oyster, and slaves can be on the menu if you so choose

Comment

There also used to be a planet you could buy gems really cheaply at (I think it was a bug). Shame I can't remember its name really.

Comment

well we could make it a 'Name that Elite planet of super gem trading' Game - although i notice that in the later Elites, gems are no longer traded in ounces but in tonnes like all the other goods.
                          In the origonal game finding a good gem trading route was the way to make the big money - as long as you could afford the outlay.

The combat is much more tricky in FFE(Elite3), atleast compared to in Frontier(Elite2) on the amiga. I'm finding myself actualy being scared to enter certain systems, as they are certain death it seems?
                          Anyone else find this - or are my reactions just getting slow in middle age? It might even be harder than in the origonal Elite, but its more difficult to judge as the flight models are very different.

You get rather weird looking ship interior backdrop screens in FFE, depending on your ships class(size?). There is something disturbing about them - the good news is you can change them if you create your own, so i might give that a bash sometime. I think im going to try to make an interior shot of the Millenium Falcon, with the chess table

Comment

I'm hooked [Warning: Long Post - only Elite fans need apply]

Here's why:

Got enough money together to get myself an Asp with all the trimmings(Military Drive/10xSheild generators/Energy booster unit/Laser cooler/1MW beam laser/Naval ECM/Go-faster stripes etc, and 39tonnes of cargo space to be useful).

I trying to play as a "sporty trader" - in that i got the speed and hardware to get me pretty much out of any scrape - and enough cargo ability to make a decent profit if i plan my cargo runs well.

So i'm not being mr evil or anything like that - no assasinations, no faction favouritism or anything like that. Just fill my ship with the best merchandise and take it from A to B, do the odd package drop off if its convenient. The kinda stuff that takes about 5-10 mins real world time when you use auto-pilot.

I've decided to head of to Tillia, as an interesting sounding civil war is brewing according to the in-game journals.(and as the planet in question is Valhalla - my curiostiy is triggered )

So i'm making my way using the old agricultural to industrial to agricultural planet hopping method. Not sure of the names now, but heading south west from Federation space avoiding anarchic systems.

By the time i'm near enough to Tillia to jump in, the journals hint that money can be made ferrying in Hand-weapons etc for the coming battle; so i take the hint and become a gun-runner!

I make the jump to Tillia - i'm just over 10AU out from the planet Valhalla, where i hope to make a tidy profit

Alarm bells and i'm approached by two craft, both small - no problem.

After dealing with them i speed up time and basicaly get attacked by another wave of craft. This happens four times, the numbers of craft between one and three at a time - i get through with only a little damage to my hull(i hate NV500 missiles!).

I'm about 4AU out now.

Alarm bells again - sigh! Hmmm but the ships appear very close this time!

Four boggies - cool, a couple of big ones and two small.
                            I like big ships - they are easier to hit.

I notice the big blue beam from the biggest ship. Interesting.
                            At the same time i notice the small ships are a pair of the latest Viper mk2's - and the missiles they've been fireing dont give a damn about my Naval ECM. I've got six extra blue blips cluttering up my scanner.

The Cobra Mk 3 has a 5MW pulse laser, and both the Vipers have the same laser as mine - 1MW beams.
                            Oh yeah the big ship is one of those large Imperial Explorers with as many shields as i've got, and a seeming never ending supply of ECM beating missiles.

Combat is a serious deal in FFE, atleast i'm finding it so compared to the previous Elites.

To cut a long story(about 15 real world minutes!) short, i make it. But my hull integrity is down to 7.1%. Supprisingly my computer is telling me all my systems are fine - and none of my cargo has been damaged!! A miricle i think.

Auto pilot set with just a few AU left and as the distance creeps down i'm feeling lucky - no more attacks coming in.

But i just zoom by valhalla, my autopilot spinning me around and using valuable fuel to slow me down to start the approach again.

I set the time scale to real world time and a quick check through my message log shows me that both my retro and left thrusters have been destroyed. Oh joy - no putting my feet up and leting the computer fly me into dock then. And i'd been hopeing to view the latest Jjagged Bbanner dream-vid while the auto-pilot did the work

To add to the seriousness of the situation my fuel isn't good - all i got is about a third of the tank left(It was about half until the extra burn when my auto-pilot missed the planet).
                            This time i'd given up extra fuel to pack in a few more tonnes of hand-guns.

What follows next is a bit like the return stage in the apollo-13 movie. But i got no computer to tell me how fast to go - i've got to 'use the force' and try to catch me that damn planet, but with no room for errors i'm thinking as i look at the fuel gauge.
                            And its 'slow time' all the way in, allowing my self the luxery of 2x speed everynow and then, fast time and any mistake could be fatal.

Engines set to 'Off' - its thrusters only as i got to save the fuel, but to slow down i got to flip 180 degrees to fly backwards and use my working main thrusters, as the retro's are gone.....along with nearly all my hull

I spent about 4 and a half hours in real time, getting my bird home. 2AU is a bl**dy long way i realise. And catching a planet isn't as easy as it sounds.

But i loved every crazy minute of it. This is what gaming is about for me, its an emotional attachment - a bond between you and the virtual world.

I was put through the emotional mangle with this one: Excitement,Joy,relief,worry,disspare,intensity and again relief with a touch of amazement when i'd finaly limped into dock.

Oh and to top it all off, my hand-guns only sell for the pathetic sum of around 600 credits per tonne(i got them for approx 400 per tonne).
                            And most of the time in the back of my head i've been wondering just which part of my hull that makes up the 7.1% could keep my ship together?

I needed a cup of tea(in RL) to relax after that adventure

Halo2 - i loved you for all your dozen hours of fun.
                            Fable - i love you for not demanding too much of me.

FFE(Elite3) - you look like the back end of a dog, in all your 640x480 glory, but you PWWN the ass of all the pretty gang

Comment

Serious Elite fan here!

This brings it all back If theres one thing better than watching people play games, its listening to people talk about playing games. I loved FFE despite all its flaws. I remember getting the first 'Frontier' on the same CD I first got the original civ on. Ive still got that somewhere, despite all the battering it took. I was a bit young to have the patience for the original Elite, but I first remember playing it on my grans spectrum

I bought FFE on floppy, and it came with a manual and another of the same size of short stories! A good 100 pages or more of just setting the scene, really helped my imagination run riot. Hmm, wonder if Ive still got that.......
                              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Working...
                              X