Administrative poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrative poll

I've got some questions regarding the use of some (topped) threads.

Do you think we should keep using the turn reporting thread?

Do you think we should keep using the "Map of the Current Turn" thread?

Do you sometimes use the Factional Datalinks?

Do you sometimes use the Base and Unit Inventory?

Do you think the Base and Unit Inventory should be topped? Or is the link in the factional datalinks enough?
    A: Keep using the turn reporting thread!
    20.00%
    A: Stop using the turn reporting thread!
    0.00%
    B: Keep using the "Map of the current turn" thread!
    20.00%
    B: Stop using the "Map of the current turn" thread!
    0.00%
    C: I sometimes use the factional datalinks!
    13.33%
    C: I don't use the factional datalinks!
    6.67%
    D: I sometimes use the Base and Unit Inventory!
    16.67%
    D: I don't use the Base and Unit Inventory!
    3.33%
    E: I think the Base and Unit Inventory should be topped!
    13.33%
    E: I don't think the Base and Unit Inventory should be topped!
    6.67%
    Xenobanana!
    0.00%
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

By "stop using" do you mean discontinue, or de-top?

I voted with the meaning "de-top" rather than "discontinue"

Comment

Re: Administrative poll

Originally posted by Maniac
      Yes. If you want, make it less detailed. OTOH, you and Googlie make a great job on micromanagement, so you might need the details more. Not having SMAX, I don't. The general info is valuable, though.

Yes. For those without SMAX, it's an important source of information. Updates are not happening, though.

Used it once, after joining. Don't need it anymore, except on rare occasions. It serves well for new members, so it should be topped, or new people should be directed to it.

Yes. I don't have SMAX to check it on my own.

Do you think the Base and Unit Inventory should be topped? Or is the link in the factional datalinks enough?
      Going through the factional datalinks to find shouldn't be necessary. If updates will be through post edits, top the thread. If you are going to add new posts, it will pop up without help.
      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

In my opinion everything is working fine just as it is right now, although you could add a direct link to Googlie's Spartan website in the Factional Datalinks.
        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

as a 100% lurker i needs these threads so keep them up
          Bunnies!
          Welcome to the DBTSverse!
          God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
          'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

DBTS sighting +1!
            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
              By "stop using" do you mean discontinue, or de-top?
              I was gonna let the voter decide that.

Originally posted by Modo44
              Going through the factional datalinks to find shouldn't be necessary. If updates will be through post edits, top the thread. If you are going to add new posts, it will pop up without help.
              I was thinking to always edit the same post to:
              a) keep the loading time of the thread small.
              b) not always having to scroll down to the last post to get the information you want

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
              In my opinion everything is working fine just as it is right now, although you could add a direct link to Googlie's Spartan website in the Factional Datalinks.
              There is a link to Googlie's website in the datalinks.
              I guess that's one vote for "I rarely use the factional datalinks".

Comment

I was thinking to always edit the same post to:
                a) keep the loading time of the thread small.
                b) not always having to scroll down to the last post to get the information you want
                I like that. Gives less clutter. It would be good to top the thread then.

Comment

There is a link to Googlie's website in the datalinks.
                  I guess that's one vote for "I rarely use the factional datalinks".
                  It hasn't been there ALWAYS. Did you add it in that 19/12/2004 edit? Because I sure as heck didn't catch it the last time I needed it when we were having a chat over something in the command centre. I use them when I need them, and lately that hasn't been much for reasons I've stated already several times.

Comment

Re: Administrative poll

I voted some time ago, but I can sum up what I use and why not.

I've got some questions regarding the use of some (topped) threads.

Yes we should. How about adding some more diplo stuff in there, such as "Had a huge fight with the Gaians", "Botched negotiations with the Morgans over peace treay" etc ... So that lurkers who don't follow the boards too much can still get at least an overview of what happens in that arena. Just a thought.

No I think we should start using it Not getting screenies when there's an invasion going on is frustrating. (but not as frustrating as forgetting to ask every time I post )

I have used them, especially when I just joined. Now I use them very rarely.

No ... But I have an idea to make that into a webpage, where you simply put units in a database, and then could go and edit them and stuff like that. Put in stories about them, battles they've participated in, how they were destroyed, maybe even store their location over time to track movement, etc ... Password protected of course. If I were at home and had some spare time I could code this up in PHP, if there is any interest for it. (Could of course be reused in future games as well as PBEMs).

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                      It hasn't been there ALWAYS. Did you add it in that 19/12/2004 edit? Because I sure as heck didn't catch it the last time I needed it when we were having a chat over something in the command centre.
                      The link was there before. Perhaps the problem is the link is named "The Spartan Federation's Official Website"? Would you prefer "Googlie's Spartan Website" or something?

Yes. For those without SMAX, it's an important source of information. Updates are not happening, though.
                      Originally posted by Snoddasmannen
                      No I think we should start using it Not getting screenies when there's an invasion going on is frustrating. (but not as frustrating as forgetting to ask every time I post )
                      While the "Map of the Current Turn" isn't updated, Googlie does post lots of screenies in the turn planning and invasion thread. (At least that's my impression.) Are those insufficient to have a general idea of what's going on?

Btw, regarding screenies. IIRC Googlie will be busy golfing from mid-January to mid-February. That's why from mid-January I am supposed to take over turnplaying. Problem is my exam period happens to be around the same period: from IIRC 20 January to 11 February. While I should be able to play the turn without a problem, screenshots is more of a problem. As I don't have a decent graphic program on my laptop and because I can't work well with those programs, taking and editing all those screenshots takes lots of time I can use better otherwise. So unless there will be another Spartan present who has SMAX, having screenshots available might form a problem in the near future...

Comment

While the "Map of the Current Turn" isn't updated, Googlie does post lots of screenies in the turn planning and invasion thread. (At least that's my impression.) Are those insufficient to have a general idea of what's going on?
                        No, the current batch are brilliant, great job Googlie
                        I don't think there were any screenies last turn, my beef was probably with that. As far as I am concerned, I can find them wherever they are posted, but for not so active players I'm not sure. On the other hand they might not need extremely up-to-date maps.

Btw, regarding screenies. IIRC Googlie will be busy golfing from mid-January to mid-February. That's why from mid-January I am supposed to take over turnplaying. Problem is my exam period happens to be around the same period: from IIRC 20 January to 11 February. While I should be able to play the turn without a problem, screenshots is more of a problem. As I don't have a decent graphic program on my laptop and because I can't work well with those programs, taking and editing all those screenshots takes lots of time I can use better otherwise. So unless there will be another Spartan present who has SMAX, having screenshots available might form a problem in the near future...
                        That's a shame
                        But I'm glad we can still play the turns.

As for graphics programs for snapshots, maybe you can just use good ol' Paint. Just hit Print-Screen and paste it into paint. If you can just figure out a few obscure things in the UI you can whip up an acceptable screenshot in a minute or two (and even save it as a jpeg nowadays apparently).

Comment

I can prolly still do screenies even when my guests are with me. I'm an early riser and should always have an hour or so in the am before my buddies stir and monopolize the second bathroom (I have one en-suite anyway)

I can prolly still play the turns as well as they really don't take much time after Maniac has outlined the worker re-allocations and unit rehomings (although as we grow the turns will become more complicated)

The hardest thing right now, frankly, is what to do with the formers. We have a road building program underway, mines, forests and the odd farm on the good rolling/rainy tiles. But having a former unproductive while moving to a new site is such a waste of the fabled "turn advantage" that I fret most often with these.

Comment

Try IrfanView, if Paint doesn't work. It's free, and gives some more options, like easy resizing, and trimming images without too much hassle. It's usually a matter of 5 minutes to make a couple simple screenies, and the general ones are what matters most anyway.

I use the screenies from the turn report for now, that's true. But they don't always show everything, and I really like watching even small changes. If you guys could make them more complete (perhaps zoomed-out a notch?), that would be great, and the map thread could go.

Comment

Try IrfanView

Comment

Working...
                              X