Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree entirely that there shouldn't be a cut-off for rioting. What is needed is a sliding scale with high probabilities below the cut-off (73 or whatever) and decreased probabilities beyond that.

Hence if you want to avoid riots altogether then you would need to put the sliders at, say 80. This is an impossibly high figure and hence any sensible player will put the sliders at a level that he/she can live with.

I like the idea of hapiness being influenced by a whole range of factors. I also like the idea of decreased efficiency with lower hapiness.

However, I believe it would be a mistake to hard-code these things into the program. It would be best if the items discussed did influence the game as suggested but their actual effects would need to be parameterised and put into DiffDb.

The beauty of this approach is that as new "factors" are devised they can be easily incorporated. By setting the parameter to 0 (zero) they can also be turned off without needing any source code changes.

Comment

i definately agree w/ the direction this thread is going in

Originally posted by Lou Wigman
      I like the idea of hapiness being influenced by a whole range of factors.
      but i think thes is supposed to say riot

my 2cents:
      wut if rioting wusnt so bad? the whole city wont stop every time some people throw a riot, just like how after conquering a city, the city retains the leftover production from before it was conquered

Comment

However low happiness should affect the efficence of a city, a city with low happiness should have a low output of science production and food. This means of course a city can starve on low happiness.
        That´s a good idea, it´s like in Space Empires IV where according to the planet happiness status you get a bonus or penalty to construction rates and IIRC resource production too.
        The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Sorry I've been a little lax with regard to putting together a new playtest version of late... I've been meaning to upload one for a couple of weeks now and have somehow not got around to it.

Thanks to Martin for doing what I was too preoccupied to, anyway. I guess that Martin's version still starts with that warning, so I still intend to upload one myself.

Since it's looking ever less likely that the project will be getting a proper version control system any time soon, I've been looking into running one myself, purely locally, simply to make keeping track of what's being done a little easier, and also tasks such as removing caltivix's AI changes. I'm not in a position to run a server for others to access, though.

Also, Maq, since you stared this playtest thread, would you mind putting the mini-FAQ from my post in the last thread (here) in yours to help people who are trying to submit bug reports.

(a random link to help me)
          Last edited by J Bytheway; August 7, 2005, 16:09.

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
            I guess that Martin's version still starts with that warning, so I still intend to upload one myself.
            Well if you mean the warning about VC 6 or something then I didnt get it this time, maybe Martin did something there.

Also, Maq, since you stared this playtest thread, would you mind putting the mini-FAQ from my post in the last thread (here) in yours to help people who are trying to submit bug reports.
            Done.
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
              I guess that Martin's version still starts with that warning, so I still intend to upload one myself.
              Well if you mean the warning about VC 6 or something then I didnt get it this time, maybe Martin did something there.
              Indeed I forgot to tell you that I was able to use the resources of my university to compile a playtest version. This playtest build should have everything like a professional version: Optimization of speed and size this *.exe is more then one Megabyte smaller then my last playtest version. Therefor it is a build created with the .NET compiler. Therefore for you need the .NET runtime environment to run the *.exe.
              If you dont already have it it is avalaible at windows update or here.
              At least you need those two dlls if you don't want to install the .NET runtime.

-Martin
              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Hmm... In that case I guess I have another reason to upload a playtest version - to stop queries by those lacking the .NET runtime environment . I also have another reason not to - that it would probably be better in the long run to be based on .NET.

Either way, it would probably be a good idea to add that info about the .NET runtime environment to the FAQ.

Comment

I've just noticed that the barbarian risk levels in the cheat mode dialog are in reverse order - when you're on Marauders it goes to Pretty Safe, and when you're on Ruins only it goes to Very Risky... I'll see if I can figure out why that is...

Comment

I've just noticed that the barbarian risk levels in the cheat mode dialog are in reverse order [snip]... I'll see if I can figure out why that is...
                    Well, I got lost and was unable to. Does anyone understand how aui_stringtable works?

Comment

Well, I got lost and was unable to. Does anyone understand how aui_stringtable works?
                      The aui components are common componets widly used in the code, therefore I don't think the problem lies there. The SPRiskLevelStringTable is also used in spnewgamewindow.cpp and so far there are no reports that there is something wrong.

-Martin
                      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

We tried to play an MP game (TCP/IP) with the newest playtest. It's still unpossible. The latest playtest we are able to play is the one from 2004-09-14.
                        After I joined my friend's game (he was host), there always came the message 'waiting for data' (me) and 'waiting for player' (host). But waiting didn't help.

Comment

Hi -Just installed CTP2 agian (been awhile)

Game works fine and am ready to give the new play test a try 2004 12 28 .
                          Downloaded the file to desktop. I have WinZip and have used it to download files for many of the mods.
                          Now this playtest file has a rar at the end of it . Dont think I can zip into CTP2 file that way. I know I can change the folder to a zip file but is there anything I should do to make it work. I have many times changed files inside CTP2 and always got it to work but never seen rar at the end of any of the downloads in the mods.

Comment

yeah you'll need to get the rar extractor. do a gogle search. I preferred zip too
                            Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Protra3211
                              Hi -Just installed CTP2 agian (been awhile)

Game works fine and am ready to give the new play test a try 2004 12 28 .
                              Downloaded the file to desktop. I have WinZip and have used it to download files for many of the mods.
                              Now this playtest file has a rar at the end of it . Dont think I can zip into CTP2 file that way. I know I can change the folder to a zip file but is there anything I should do to make it work. I have many times changed files inside CTP2 and always got it to work but never seen rar at the end of any of the downloads in the mods.
                              try winrar

WinRAR provides the full RAR and ZIP file support, can decompress CAB, GZIP and other archive formats

Comment

Thank You

I got the info I needed. Works like the Zip system I have now. Will be at the computor store today and will be picking up software. I know there is free downloads but I like to install my own. My next post will be how the game went using the new build. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                                X