Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamer buys virtual Island for real $

That's right!

A 22-year-old gamer has spent $26,500 (£13,700) on an island that exists only in a computer role-playing game (RPG).

The Australian gamer, known only by his gaming moniker Deathifier, bought the island in an online auction.

The land exists within the game Project Entropia, an RPG which allows thousands of players to interact with each other.
    Any takers?
    What?

You mean it was you, and now you want to get rid of it?
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

"A fool and his money are soon parted."
      -- Thomas Tusser, English farmer and writer, 1524-1580
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

That would make that seafront property in new mexico expression take a whole new meaning.

nerds
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

What's the problem?

After all, it's little different from spending thousands of $ for a painting.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
            What's the problem?

Equally stupid IMO.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

What's the problem?

that's a strong point.

I would point out that paintings are enjoyed by most people, though.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                Equally stupid IMO.
                There's nothing stupid with wasting your money where you wish
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

What's the problem?

Aside from a painting (usually) being art.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                    You mean it was you, and now you want to get rid of it?
                    I'll say again: any takers?

What?

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

Aside from a painting (usually) being art.
                      ppffft. opressor.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

OTOH we may have a clue as to why Horsie has to move to Korea: Mrs. Horse may have just found out about this...
                        What?

Comment

Really, I don't see what is "stupid" here, unless you consider buying a computer game, paying to see a movie, or spending money at an expansive restaurant instead of a cheap joint, is "stupid".

The guy values this symbolic good very much. It brings some contentment to him to have bought it. Y'all consider this island worthless, but he (and the other members of the auction) doesn't. The value of something is what someone else would be willing to pay you know

Comment

libertarianism
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Actually, by reading the article, I'm more surprised at this. The guy has actually made an investment to earn money

The virtual island includes a gigantic abandoned castle and beautiful beaches which are described as ripe for developing beachfront property.

Deathifier will make money from his investment as he is able to tax other gamers who come to his virtual land to hunt or mine for gold.

He has also begun to sell plots to people who wish to build virtual homes.

"This type of investment will definitely become a trend in online gaming," said Deathifier.

The Entopia economy lets gamers exchange real currency into PED (Project Entropia Dollars) and back again into real money.

Ten PEDs are the equivalent to one US dollar and typical items sold include iron ingots ($5) and shogun armour ($1.70)

Gamers can theoretically earn money by accumulating PEDs through the acquisition of goods, buildings, and land in the Entropia universe.

MMORPGs have become enormously popular in the last 10 years with hundreds of thousands of gamers living out alternate lives in fantasy worlds.

Almost 200,000 people are registered players on Project Entropia.

Comment

Working...
                              X