Issues concerning gays -- part XXXVVV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues concerning gays -- part XXXVVV

I am reading a new book titled "Why Marriage Matters: America, Equality, and Gay People's Right to Marry" by Evan Wolfson.

I found out that in 1987 the Supreme Court of United States ruled in the Turner v. Safley case that convicted felons have the right/freedom to marry.

Apparently, convicted felons are worthy of equal citizenship over law-abiding gays and lesbians who pay their taxes, earn a living through a job, and are actively involved in their community.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Yes. Convicted felons only commited a crime here, but your one of the fencesitters!!!1!!111

Oh wait, that argument is reserved for blacks. Nevermind then
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

well, while I am in favor of gay marriage

letting felons marry is not any reason why gay marraige should be allowed

it should be allowed because it will make gays life better (hopefully)

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
        letting felons marry is not any reason why gay marraige should be allowed

Comment

Yes. At least convicted felons are human.

[/BenKenobi]
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Gays are mean spirited for wanting to destroy the institution of marriage.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

it does weaken it

but not much, and a lot less than what straights have done to marriage (Seen fox recently? or the divorce rate?)

JOn Miller
              (I know that you don't think that, but I am addressing that point)
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Felons have nothing to do with it really.

Insert blah blah blah about how gay marriage is tehw00t.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Aren't most convicted felons homosexual while in prison?

Seems like that alone should allow gays to marry.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

You Roman Numerals are incorrect . 'V' stands for 5, so you can't have 3 in a row (Hell, 2 in a row wouldn't work either... that would be 'X')
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      You Roman Numerals are incorrect . 'V' stands for 5, so you can't have 3 in a row (Hell, 2 in a row wouldn't work either... that would be 'X')
                      You word usage are incorrect too.
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

why do we have so many gay threads?

Comment

because of the large number of gays on apolyton

JonMiller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

why marriage matters for all Americans regardless of sexual orientation:

death: If a couple is not married and one partner dies, the other partner is not entitled to get bereavement leave from work, to file wrongful death claims, to draw the Social Security payments of the decease partner, or to automatically inherit a shared home.

debts: Unmarried partners do not generally have responsibility for each other's debt.

divorce: Unmarried couples do not have access to the courts or to the legal and financial guidelines in times of breakup.

family leave: Unmarried couples are often not covered by laws and policies that permit people to take medical leave to care for a sick spouse or for the kids.

health: Unlike spouses, unmarried partners are usually not considered next of kin for the purposes of hopsital visitation and emergency medical decisions.

housing: Denied marriage, couples of lesser means are not recognized as a family and thus can be denied or disfavored in their applications for public housing.

immigration: U.S. residency and family unification are not available to an unmarried partner from another country.

inheritance: Unmarried surviving partners do not automatically inherit property should their loved one die without a will.

insurance: Unmarried partners can't always sign up for joint home and auto insurance. In addition, many employers don't cover domestic partners or their biological or nonbiological children in their health insurance plans.

parenting: Unmarried couples are denied the automatic right to joint parenting, joint adoption, joint foster care, and visitation for nonbiological parents. In addition, the children of unmarried couples are denied the guarantee of child support and an automatic legal relationship to both parents.

portability: Unlike marriages, which are honored in all states and countries, domestic partnerships and other alternative mechanisms only exist in a few states and countries.

privilege: Unmarried couples are not shielded against having to testify against each other in judicial proceedings, and are also usually denied the coverage in crime-victims counseling and protection programs afforded married couples.

property: Unmarried couples are excluded from special rules that permit married couples to buy and own property together under favorable terms.

retirement: In addition to being denied access to shared or spousal benefits through Social Security as well as coverage under Medicare and other programs, unmarried couples are denied withdrawal rights and protective tax treatment given to spouses with regard to IRAs and other retirement plans.

taxes: Unmarried couples cannot file joint tax returns and are excluded from tax benefits and claims specific to marriage.

from the previously mentioned author's book (pages 13 - 15)

Comment

I aren't put title in, even though
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X