No announcement yet.

Issues concerning gays -- part XXXVVV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If gay marriage will ever be allowed(and I think it will, although I think the present way of partnership is good enough), I certainly hope it will not be mandatory for the priests to marry them against their will... I mean, I have nothing particular against gays, but it would be wrong if the priests would have to do this even if it's against their faith. In Norway we have state church, and that means that if the state decides gay marriage is all right, the church and its priests has to obey... I think that is wrong.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
      If gay marriage will ever be allowed(and I think it will, although I think the present way of partnership is good enough), I certainly hope it will not be mandatory for the priests to marry them against their will... I mean, I have nothing particular against gays, but it would be wrong if the priests would have to do this even if it's against their faith. In Norway we have state church, and that means that if the state decides gay marriage is all right, the church and its priests has to obey... I think that is wrong.
      I think it is wrong to have State Church. This is one of the reasons.

Over here in France, the official marriage is done before the mayor, and you can have whatever religious marriage if you want as well. The religious marriage is something entirely decided by the religious authorities (and not by the State), because they have no impact whatsoever on your official marital status.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Nobody is asking religions to perform marriages against their wishes. Religions should be allowed to make their own decisions on who's marriage that their faith will sanction. That's their right, and they are welcome to it.

What some people are saying is that religion shouldn't dictate to the state what the state should be allowed to do. In the US, you need a license from the state to get married. That is the OFFICIAL document that provides all the legal rights that come with marriage. Religions should stay out of that process...
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I couldn't have put it better. Marriage is a contract between two people sanctioned by the state. It is no affair of any other group to dictate the parameters of the marriage (as long as within the bounds of consent, etc).
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Marriage is steeped in straight and religious traditions.

Why not enter into a contract with fifty men while you're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
              Yep... it is. So what. Nobody is saying that the religions can't do as they wish.

But sea captain, justice's of the peace, and other public officials also have a long tradition when it comes to marriages

The point is that the state provides the official document that provides the legal rights that come with it. Please explain how religion is involved in any of this... they don't have a role in the legal part at all. And they shouldn't.

Religions can't even agree on this issue... so which religion do you want to make the rules

Let them do what they want... and let the state do what it wants... That's the way it's supposed to work.
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

they don't have a role in the legal part at all. And they shouldn't.
                But the state does.

And the state has no reason to compromise its cultural standards and traditions on everyone who wants rights protection.

Otherwise, why not marry 55 people to each other.

Comment

Agreed, my brother was actually married to his wife by the Captain of his ship.

It is still a legal marriage.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                    Agreed, my brother was actually married to his wife by the Captain of his ship.

It is still a legal marriage.

ACK!
                    If I didn't know your style already, your traditional closing comment would suggest you strongly disapproved.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Monk

If I didn't know your style already, your traditional closing comment would suggest you strongly disapproved.

ACK!
                      Maybe I do............

ACK!

Comment

But the state does.

And the state has no reason to compromise its cultural standards and traditions on everyone who wants rights protection.

Otherwise, why not marry 55 people to each other.
                        If that's what the state passes as a law, whatever.

My point is that the it's up to the state to make the laws... NOT religions (who can't even agree on this subject) If the state doesn't want to sanction such marriages... it's their right.

Frankly, as long as people are consenting adults, I really have no problem with what marriage arrangements they want to make. I do however think the law should be fair... And that's why I support gay marriages. They should have the same legal rights.
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

Why not enter into a contract with fifty men while you're at it.
                          Why not indeed?
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

My point is that the it's up to the state to make the laws... NOT religions (who can't even agree on this subject) If the state doesn't want to sanction such marriages... it's their right.
                            This seems reasonable.

But this does not:

I really have no problem with what marriage arrangements they want to make.
                            I think a nation ought to have cultural norms, and if marriage is that last bastion, then god damn if I'll surrender with Davy Crockett's spirit guiding me.

A culture that thinks of marrying 50 people to each other...the line must be drawn..

Comment

The same people who want to change cultural norms don't want to "Rashly" change the constitution.

Realize your history, embrace it, not 50 other men, lest we fall apart at the seams as a nation under God with standards of justice and morality.

Comment

The same people who want to change cultural norms don't want to "Rashly" change the constitution.

Realize your history, embrace it, not 50 other men, lest we fall apart at the seams as a nation under God with standards of justice and morality.
                                Don't you mean justice for all?

ACK!

Comment

Working...
                                X