No announcement yet.

Issues concerning gays -- part XXXVVV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gays will just get fat like everyone else if they get married.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Viking
      MrFun

Join the underground railroad of the 21st Century.

Flee gender slavery and sexual oppression!

Canada welcomes you!

Maybe someday, if things get even worse (like a federal anti-gay amendment would pass after having been rejected already, the first time).
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Presumably something along the lines of 'how you gonna keep them down on the farm now they've been to a wedding reception with white folks....'

Or not.

To be honest I don't think his arguments were terribly coherent, and neither did he.

I believe you're right. Jon Miller doesn't sound homophobic, since he does claim he supports equal marriage protection, but his argument still does not make sense to me, either.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
          I would have thought it was abundantly clear that a large majority of americans oppose gay marriage because of their religious beliefs. Continually bringing this issue in front of them is like waving a red flag at a bull. A more sensible approach is to promote civil unions which (again) a majority seem to support (or at least condone).

Tyranny of the majority is antithetical to the principle of fairness and respect for those who are different from you. And, religious beliefs are too often not grounds for rational, logical reasons on why we should exclude gays from legal marriage protection.

And secondly, I suggest you go back and read the post in which I listed the author's reasons for why marriage is so important for gays -- it's important for -- SURPRISE -- the same reasons that straight couples take for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

People can take their religious beliefs and cram it...
            Marriage is sanctioned by the state. Let the state decide... religions shouldn't be involved any more than providing a religious sanction to the state approved marriage. Hell, religions can't even agree on this topic. So let them deal with their congregations... and let the state determine the actual laws that EVERYBODY has to follow.

Have I ever told you how much I appreciate your support?

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
              Gays will just get fat like everyone else if they get married.
              They exist already- fear them.

They're called bears. My friend went to a rubber/fetish club and was told that with his build (tall, lean, muscular hairy) he apparently is an 'otter'.

I'm more of a basilisk I think.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                Does that court judgement mean that gay convicts can marry?
                Nope -- only if you're a straight convicted felon. United States really has some very irrational laws and regulations sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                  I would have thought it was abundantly clear that a large majority of americans oppose gay marriage because of their religious beliefs. Continually bringing this issue in front of them is like waving a red flag at a bull. A more sensible approach is to promote civil unions which (again) a majority seem to support (or at least condone).
                  SpencerH is right. The gay marriage movement suffered a major setback in the 2004 election when 11 states outright banned them. If the movement was a bit more politically savvy, they would (pardon the pun) try to come in through the backdoor by promoting civil unions that are more or less equivalent to marriage. Work can continue from there until civil unions are de facto marriages.

The whole "What do we want?" "Gay Marriage!" "When do we want it?" "Now!" thing is good at getting attention and raising awareness, but it also tends to polarize people. It forces fence sitters to choose one side or the other. You end up with people who would make no complaint over a mere "civil union" cry out against "gay marriage" simply because you forced their hand. Worse, the movement's name calling ("homophobe", "bigot", "fascist") tends to harden people's resolve, rather than engage their minds over the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator

Worse, the movement's name calling ("homophobe", "bigot", "fascist") tends to harden people's resolve, rather than engage their minds over the issue.

I agree with you. Some individual activists often fail to distinguish truly homophobic bigots from those who are ambivalent about the issue, or are sincerely ignorant about the issue and need more insight on why gays believe marriage is important for them.

As I already said, marriage is important for gay couples, for the same reasons it is important for straight couples.

Comment

I have an idea. To make things fair ban marriage for straight people too.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

But omg things are already fair as straight people can't marry people of the same gender any more than gay people can!!!1

Comment

We already have marriage laws that impose christian morality onto everyone else. Opposition to gay marriage is just another facet of those beliefs. Would some of the comments be different if this question was put forth by a moslem or mormon.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

ALAN KEYES SAYS TEH HOMOS ARE HEDONISTS AND RUINING THE INSTATOOTION OF MARRIAGE!@!@
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Tyranny of the majority is antithetical to the principle of fairness and respect for those who are different from you
                              Tyranny of the majority doesn't make democracy bad. It is persecution of the minority that makes it bad....tolerance is democracy's gift. It doesn't have to bow down and, forgive the pun, take it up the ass from everyone who wants some new rights protection.

As far as gays go. You must distinguish between civil unions and marriage; civil unions being that which would provide legal solvency to your list of complaints, and marriage being an institution steeped in religious and straight traditions.

You can win the civil unions argument on a good day. You cannot justify changing the definition of marriage in large part because of the resulting harms - firstly, that you would undermine one of the country's most basic principles and institutions by removing procreation from the equation, and secondly, you would open up the gates for a chilling effect "I want to marry six men" mentality.

Leave it the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                                They're called bears. My friend went to a rubber/fetish club and was told that with his build (tall, lean, muscular hairy) he apparently is an 'otter'.
                                Wow, I didn't know the furry fetishes were widespread in the gay community.
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X