Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What AU course should we replay (with a new map)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What AU course should we replay (with a new map)?

As the poll about the next AU course showed, there is slightly more interest in repeating an old course than in setting up a new one. In this poll, we choose which one it will be.

Please note that the first suggestion was to replay Total Eternal Forever War.

Also, we will be playing the course with a new map prepared, so that no spoilers are available.

You can find the links to old courses here.
    Crowding and War
    0.00%
    All we're sayin' is give peace a chance
    12.50%
    Island Hopping
    6.25%
    Banana Island
    6.25%
    The Power of Gold
    0.00%
    I've got those lonesome - blues...(Isolation)
    0.00%
    Son of 'So very cold...'
    12.50%
    The Quest for Ultimate Power
    0.00%
    Scout and Explore
    0.00%
    The Power of Communism
    18.75%
    The Power of Randomness
    0.00%
    Celtic Power (or Gallic Glory ;))
    12.50%
    Big Planet
    0.00%
    Total Eternal Forever War
    25.00%
    No Gold For You
    0.00%
    UN Peacekeepers
    0.00%
    OCC (One City Challenge)
    6.25%
    They came down from the Mountains
    0.00%
    Gargantua
    0.00%
    The Power of Seafaring
    0.00%
    Pillage and Plunder
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Modo44; November 16, 2004, 18:50.
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

I voted for "...Give Peace A Chance", because I was not around for it the first time around.
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

The thing I don't like about "Give Peace a Chance" (and the reason I skipped it the first time around) is that with no military units, the player's survival hinges entirely on the AIs' behavior. A player could invest many hours in the game only to have it ruined when an AI is in a mood to attack. For me, playing a game with that possibility constantly hanging over my head would not be fun.

Comment

Thinking a little more, we might think about keeping the "Give Peace a Chance" theme but not going so far as to ban all military units. In "The Power of Communism," the rule was that we could fight within our own territory under any government but could not attack units outside our borders (or in another civ's territory, I forget which) in any government except Communism. A "Give Peace a Chance" variant could extend that concept to a point of forbidding all attacking of cities or units not within a player's borders through the entire game. Thus, we would still be giving peace a chance, but if AIs reject that chance, the game would not automatically be doomed.

Comment

OCC
          "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
          -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
            Thus, we would still be giving peace a chance, but if AIs reject that chance, the game would not automatically be doomed.
            I wonder how many of our past courses can be patched

I voted for the power of 'Green'

Gargantua was the worst course ever played at AU

Comment

total war, but perhaps in a more achieveable version

Comment

Celt Power
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Total, eternal, forever war (And put the iron in a nice place please!), -or-

Grandson of SVC...

(So I'm bored with normal C3C now...I want to be challenged.)
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

The thing I don't like about "Give Peace a Chance" (and the reason I skipped it the first time around) is that with no military units, the player's survival hinges entirely on the AIs' behavior. A player could invest many hours in the game only to have it ruined when an AI is in a mood to attack.
                    This is exactly what happened to me in the first course. A whole game with many hours investment was ruined in just a couple of turns. I gave up after about 2/3 of my land was steamrolled in the later game and my FP city, which was build the hard way, was gone. No pure diplomatic effort was able to stop the aggression.

It has been the second war in this game. The first went well, I could stop the enemy advance with alliances and later flip almost all cities back. But the second killed me. Not fun, definitely. To lose was not the worst, to lose and not being able to do anything about it was worse.

I will not play this course and thus, abstain from voting. Yes I know, you predicted it, Dominae, but I clearly said in the other thread, that Nathans maximum wonder game would be the only one of interest for me. Besides, EQ2 is goddamn addicting and an awful time killer.

I have another project brewing, kind of "Tarzan squared". A PBEM of 4-6 players shattered around on a large (4 players) or even huge (6 players) map, who each start with ~5 settlers and some military, are not able to build more settlers, and are permanently at war with each other. So no tech trading, just happy hunting in the jungle and on the mountains. Tarzan movement limitations apply, as do raging barbarians, but the corruption and upkeep settings would have to be taken back. But it'll take a while till I'm ready with the concept.

Comment

I voted for Power of Communism, that was really fun.

It was designed to explore Comminism because in Civ3 and PTW it was underpowered. However, in C3C the fascism is sort of a second rate war goverment, so, if we replay it, we should renamed it in "The Power of Fascisim" and play as ... mmm... I do not know... I would prefer Germans (they have industial era UU), but it may piss many people off, Americans is a good choice too (modern era UU), but that will piss off even more people...

Clearly, we need a civ or modified civ with prefereably industrial UU, so you can fight with UU and under Fascism.

Comment

A remake of the Power of Communism as the Power of Fascism sounds like a fantastic idea to me. What do others think?
                        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

The thing I don't like about "Give Peace a Chance" (and the reason I skipped it the first time around) is that with no military units, the player's survival hinges entirely on the AIs' behavior. A player could invest many hours in the game only to have it ruined when an AI is in a mood to attack. For me, playing a game with that possibility constantly hanging over my head would not be fun.
                          Indeed, that's exactly what happened to me. I made it within a handful of turns of finishing the UN before a Cavalry blitz ruined me.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Still... I liked give peace a chance. I enjoyed it right up until this:

And then, in 1560AD, 4 turns from completing the UN, disaster struck:

The Egyptians called me up and wanted to renew one of our luxury deals (I think it was spices for 10 gpt). They were more than happy to keep paying, and were already gracious, but I figured "what the hell" and gave it to them for free, just to be nice. They had, incidentally, more than 300 gold in the bank.

I ended my turn, and...

"The Egyptians have declared war on us!"

I stared in utter and complete shock at that message for some time. Then I hit enter, to see an Egyptian Cavalry violate our RoP agreement to take Washington. Three other cities fell that turn, including my FP city, which they razed. I tried to salvage things. I got everyone in the world to ally with me. I starting building explorers, hoping to get in their way... to no avail. By the end of turn 2 of the war, the entire core of my empire was in Egyptian hands. New York was taken with 3 turns to go on the UN. All was lost.

I cannot begin to explain how awful this was to watch. It was agony. Bear in mind that this occurred around 12:30 am, after 6 straight hours at the computer.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                              A remake of the Power of Communism as the Power of Fascism sounds like a fantastic idea to me. What do others think?
                              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                              X