X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry. Fixed the link now.
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Yep, Modo, I had independently come up with some similar thoughts re barb threats and activity.

How do I place a town?
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Personally, I don't like the idea of barbarians that cannot be conuqered at their source. The Rise of Rome scenario deals with the issue by creating three unplayable civilizatons to serve the role of the peoples inhabiting the areas not controlled by the major civilizations. In a scenario where players start with only one settler, a similar effect might be achieved through a large disparity in the quality of starting positions for the major empires and the pseudo-barbarians.

Question: does anyone know the effects of creating a locked alliance that is not locked into being at war with anyone else? If that could create a trigger so that each pseudo-barbarian civ is allied with another one, with a war against one meaning war against both, that could go a long way toward overcoming the disadvantage of the pseudo-barbarian civs' being individually smaller and weaker.

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
          ...The Rise of Rome scenario deals with the issue by creating three unplayable civilizatons to serve the role of the peoples inhabiting the areas not controlled by the major civilizations....
          Does anyone know how to do this?
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

I haven't tested it, but my guess would be to lock the desired civs into their starting positions but exclude them from the "Playable Civilizations" in the "Scenario" tab of "Scenario Properties."

Comment

Nope... just tried it: When you place towns for a civ, then take it off the playable civs list, the towns disappear.

Comment

I just looked at the Rise of Rome .biq file, and I found a pattern. Under the "players" tab, in the upper right corner, there is a "Human Player" box. That box is checked for the playable civs, and not checked for the unplayable ones. That's probably what we're looking for (and I hope this isn't another false alarm, seeing as I'm once again suggesting something without testing it first). Note that you'll have to select "Custom Player Data" from the "Scenarios" menu before that tab becomes available.

Comment

I just tested it, copying the Rise of Rome scenario and checking the "Human Player" box for Egypt. That made Egypt playable (which it normally isn't - I'd forgotten about its being a fourth unplayable civ in that conquest). So it looks like if you lock the civs into their slots under the "Players" tab, the ones with "Human Player" checked are playable and the others aren't.
                  Last edited by nbarclay; November 10, 2004, 22:55.

Comment

...just came up with a possibility for reining in the European civs (if it's still an issue). In Conquests, we have the ability to make scenario-defined terrains (like Cedars of Lebanon in the Mesopotamia Conquest). My suggestion would be to have two types of forests: European Forests (which cannot be settled on and would have a higher move cost), and plain old Forests (with the properties of normal Forests; they'd be in a custom terrain slot, to minimize the amount of changing of terrain we'd need).

Alternatively, restrict European civ access to regular Settlers, and force them to build a more expensive version (say, 50 shields/3 pop). Or stick them in a painfully restrictive government and limit their ability to switch out by making any govt-techs flavor techs of a flavor they won't like.
                    oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

...some of the "surprises" are just evil, Theseus. I like it.

Comment

Hey Vlad!

Yeah, though I'm not too familiar with all the scenarios and mods out there, I think I hit on a fairly simple way to keep people awake. :chuckle:

I'm looking forward to getting this to a playable state... I need to figure out how to use the debug mode to see how AIs do against each other, and then definitely how to fix the Civilopedia entries with minimum muss and fuss for the player. Then I guess a MP version after that.

C'mon... some others should take a peak at the 0.9 biq!!!

Comment

Here's my latest version of a FAQ... not a programmer or developer's quality AT ALL, but it'll do for now:

DONE:

* Combined AU Mod 1.05 with Rise/Fall of Rome map (one thing I like about this map, in addition to generally good geo-detail, is that many of the then-current trade routes are already in place, as well as some representive land development by lesser-developed and unnamed civs).

* Researched and placed start locations:

Babylonians - Babylon
                          Egypt - Memphis
                          Hittites - Hattusas
                          Phoenicia (Byzantines) - Tyre
                          Persia - Persepolis
                          Greece - Aegai
                          Carthage - Carthage
                          Romans - Rome
                          Celts - Entremont
                          Germanic Tribes - Gothiskandza
                          Scythia (Mongols) - Kameneskoe Gorod

BTW, the above is sort of my representative historic order.

* No settling on desert or forest; longer time to clear forest. Added marshes where needed to slow down certain REXes.

* Placed ruins of Troy.

* Added a HUGE number of resources all over map. This was generally a judgement call based upon my understanding of the historic RW, and also with its own internal logic (e.g., furs in the north versus more spices and incense to the south and east). Included everything EXCEPT up through uranium... there were a number of uranium resources on the base map which I assume were placed for AI desires. Needs review.

* Changed Ancient Cavs to WEs at 3.2.1 (gave Carthage the only ivory).

* Gave Scythia The Wheel at the start.

* Changed various city and leader names for Phoenicia.

* Added many more barb huts, east to west, cutting Iberian peninsula, and miscellaneous. First level Barbs from huts are Horsemen; second level are Barbarian Keshiks at 3.2.1 with one extra HP and enslave (producing Archer).

* Placed various Barb units in various locations.

* Turned on plague.

TO DO:

* Barbarians - Possible 12th civ... spread around east to west, intersersed with barb huts?

* More goody huts?

* Gave Babylon and Egypt an early edge (have put luxes closer to them), but need to ding them somehow to represent the relatively early decline of their eras... maybe not Egypt so much, as the land is inherently limiting.

* Changes to Civilopedia.

GENERAL:

* Consider SP vs. MP... what tweaks for each? Which 8 civs for MP?

* Playtesting?

* Objectives other than standard win types? For all? Per civ? SP vs. MP?

Comment

As for dinging Babylon, I think adjusting its AI governor settings might do the trick. Just turn everything under "build often" off, and set "build workers" to never.

Comment

It seems like a certain part of the world is just destined for armed conflict....
                              Attached Files

Comment

[SIZE=1] Heresson might be a good source of information about them, but beware his territorial claims, as he will try to convince you, that practically the whole Eurpoe is rightfully Slavic territory.
                                Because it is
                                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X