• Show
Clear All

• Roman strategy thread

What should we do first?

Attack Carthage?

Attack the Celts?

Attack the Greeks?

Who should be our friends?

After we decide who we are going to devour, how will we get the AI Civs to help?

What wonders should we try to build early and where?

Should we launch the GA right away or build some more cities first with our citizens at the start of the game?

Where should those cities go whether we trigger a GA early or not? Or should some of the citizens be added to towns already in existance to help wonder builds. If we are going to chase wonders early?

What do you think?

Start posting

~Conius Banana Ceasar~
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Re: Roman strategy thread

I only played this scenario twice, at Emperor level. Did 30 or so turns, once as Rome and once as Carthage. Also, I didn't play Civ3 at Demigod level yet. Please keep that in mind when reading the rest of this post.

Originally posted by conmcb25
    Attack Carthage?
    I guess we should at least take Sicily. We have Legions that can be moved there on Galleys, if that will be the decision of the Senators.

Attack the Celts?
    Definately yes. The sooner the better, as the Celts will be settling on some of the finest real estate available to us.

This involves a decision whether we want to go hard after the Celts or Carthage right from the start. We have some legions at the ready. Obviously they are not there for MP duty.

Attack the Greeks?
    I'd rather not. The Hoplites are too good against early Legions. And if we would attack Greece, the Persians would certainly finish them off fast and become even more of an early superpower. They can field impressive numbers of Immortals.

Who should be our friends?
    For now? Everyone except Carthage and the Celts. Not more than two targets at a time.
    For later? Well, time will tell, I guess.

Originally posted by conmcb25 After we decide who we are going to devour, how will we get the AI Civs to help?
    Easiest way would be to offer them tech. But I don't know how bad that can turn out at Demigod level.

Originally posted by conmcb25 What wonders should we try to build early and where?
    Temple of Artemis comes to mind. If we start the GA soon, we just might have a shot. And with an expanding empire those free Temples would be really great to have. I'd say either in Rome or in Neapolis. If it doesn't happen, we can still go for some other good stuff, like Hadrian's Wall or the Great Library.

Should we launch the GA right away or build some more cities first with our citizens at the start of the game?
    Launch it and use it to get basic infrastructure and lots of Legions and a decent tech pace. With Legions II we can take out the Celts and Goths wit ease.

Originally posted by conmcb25 Where should those cities go whether we trigger a GA early or not? Or should some of the citizens be added to towns already in existance to help wonder builds. If we are going to chase wonders early?
    Two cities can be placed during the very first turn, so Id' say we do just that. There is space close to Padua for both of the Citizens around there. The two in Rome and Neapolis can be sent to various places, or added to cities. I don't know how critical that would be to wonder building.

And technology. I suppose we should get those second level Legions ASAP, right? So I suggest we research Tactics first.
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

looks like a great game ahead
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

I say we hit Carthage early and Hard. Get the Celts to jump in the fray, and then after our 20 turn alliance is up we stomp the Celts.

Keep the Greeks happy and on our side to cover our backs.

I like temple of Artemis and Hadrians wall. For wonders. Do prebuilds early somewhere is we have to. (Rome, Neapolis and Padua are likely sites.)

Go for tactics and then Republic (or is it Imperialism?) for the Legoinaire III's. Dont use the army until its a Legionaire III army.
        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I say we hit Carthage early and Hard. Get the Celts to jump in the fray, and then after our 20 turn alliance is up we stomp the Celts.
          I like the way you think. I am, however, worried that they could develop Iron Working during that time. And Carthage, except on Sicily, is a tough nut to crack, methinks.

I like temple of Artemis and Hadrians wall. For wonders. Do prebuilds early somewhere is we have to. (Rome, Neapolis and Padua are likely sites.)
          Padua? I'd rather have it churn out a couple Workers and Citizens first. The food is plentiful there and the Granary ready to work.

Go for tactics and then Republic (or is it Imperialism?) for the Legoinaire III's. Dont use the army until its a Legionaire III army.
          Now, now. The early army can easily crush the Celts. I mean really easy. And with the Heroic Epic built, we will have plenty new armies to fill very soon. To get those Legions III, we need Tactics, Monarchy, Military Training and Republic. That's four techs to research, so time will pass and enemies will grow...

Imperialism comes after Republic and requires another branch of technologies. It is the best government form we can have, but gives no other benefits. It's in the distant future now.

Comment

The way to go I always find is a short limited campaign against Carthage to capture sicily, then turn everything you can spare to crush the Celts before they get too big and gallic swords. Set research to republic and research as fast as possible for the legionary 3's.

The Great library is a must build because once you have the republic the AI will research everything else for you and you can forget about it for the rest of the game, which means lots and lots of lovely gold to spemd on troop rushing.

libraries are not worth bothering with but temples are very important, now then its easy to build temples so Id say Artemis is not that important but the Oracle is well worth the shields as it makes your temples more powerful.

The other worthwhile wonder is Hadrians, but but not as important as Great library and Oracle.

carthage usually has a good navy so they will try to take Sicily back, this can be prevented by plenty of workers and or garrisons on all coastal squares

It is advisable to steer clear of their navy though as our galleys will be short work for theirs.
            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
              The way to go I always find is a short limited campaign against Carthage to capture sicily, then turn everything you can spare to crush the Celts before they get too big and gallic swords.
              I figured something like that about the campaign planning, but played too short to see the Celts completely eradicated.

The Great library is a must build because once you have the republic the AI will research everything else for you and you can forget about it for the rest of the game, which means lots and lots of lovely gold to spemd on troop rushing.
              I really like the way you think.

libraries are not worth bothering with but temples are very important, now then its easy to build temples so Id say Artemis is not that important but the Oracle is well worth the shields as it makes your temples more powerful.
              But would it not be better to get ToA and not build Temples at all? That's a Legion per Temple (per city). And with GA going right from the start, you'd only need to beef up the lux slider for about 20 turns, possibly less. [edit]Plus, it gives free Temples in conquered cities, which will be especially valuable when the empire grows, increasing corruption. [/edit]

carthage usually has a good navy so they will try to take Sicily back, this can be prevented by plenty of workers and or garrisons on all coastal squares
              Yeah. Too bad it's too close so we can't kill the Galleys before they unload. Would make a good position for somebody playing our Admiral, or whatever they were called back then.

It is advisable to steer clear of their navy though as our galleys will be short work for theirs.
              I found it to be the other way around. Just punched them with the Galleys at hand and later switched Sicily to Galleys. After that they were going down, no problem. RNG likes me, or what was going on?
              Last edited by Modo44; November 3, 2004, 15:48.

Comment

*bump*

I saw many new families joining the Imperial Succession List. Well, citizens of Rome, future Emperors, you are Senators as well. Thus you may feel the need to join the discussion concerning our present and future plans. Please, don't hesitate to share your thoughts.

When more people have stated the goals they would like to see pusrused, I will start a poll as an official Senate Voting.

Comment

I have very little expirience with conquest scenarios. I have once the one with the seven anciant wonders and lost it. That's all.

But I think we should take at least Sicily from Carthage and expand north and west before destroy them.
                  The Legions seem to be very pretty units

Comment

I sugest on turn 1, exploring to discover the celts and then signing a MA with the Celts against Carthage.

Also establish an embassy with the Celts, and buy a map from them.

And send our forces to capture that SE city on Silicy.

I'm not sure on Demi-god how many wonders we should be trying to produce at a given time. The Temple of Artismis is by far the most valuable, next the other happiness wonders, then Colossus. We'd have to be very lucky to get a SGL.

I'm thinking we should leave Augustus army shell empty waiting for better units.

Research that tech that allows Legionary II first.

Next target : Western city in Silicy.

Then : Those islands owned by Carthage.

After that, I'm not sure on this level weather we should go after the Carthagans in Spain or send a rading force to NA that sacks Carthage to the ground, then loads back onto ships, sails to another city, lands, and sacks, repeat...

On tech path, I sugest beeling to Legionary III after aquiring Legionary II.

I sugest that cities without rivers be used as citizen pumps once they hit size 6.
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

After you sack the Capitol (Carthage) dealinh with Carthage will be pretty easy, and then we can move north.

Comment

After you sack the Capitol (Carthage) dealinh with Carthage will be pretty easy, and then we can move north.
                        If we make it. It is the capital, so even the AI will have considerable defences there. Hopefully only one Numidian, but if there are more by the time we get there, this could get ugly. Without further evidence presented, I as a Senator, am against it.

I say take the islands and forget about Carthage. Remember, we can sign a peace treaty with them. We have easier targets to the north with far more valuable land to take. And it should be very easy to defend, if we set posts to shut off the Iberian penisula. After that, well the Legion III should have no trouble taking on the Greeks...

Comment

I have taken Carthage numerous times, its actually pretty easy.

That was on Emporer Level but still.

The hard part was HOLDING it from counterattack

I say we DONT do that. Just take it, pilliage it and move on.

I am looking for a "Carthage Crippling" so we dont have to worry about our backs as much and then move North and North West against the Celts and eventually the Goths.

Comment

We are not allowed to sign a peace treaty with Carthage due to the locked war.

We can sign peace treaties with anyone else.

No point of holding onto Carthage, raize to the ground and load back onto ships and head to next target.

I wouldn't attack the Celts until the Carthagians are kicked out of Spain, in fact having the Celts as an ally until then would be a big help.
                            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                            Templar Science Minister
                            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

The locked war between carthage and Rome is being disabled to allow more trading and diplomacy options !!

If you look at it historically this is only right, as Rome was not locked into continuous war with Carthage was it.
                              A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Working...
                              X