No announcement yet.

Alexander the Great v1.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it was like that. Instead of writing to/reading from invalid memory, a new temporary entry is being created when the requested array index is larger than the number of entries in the predefined array. This new entry can be used safely.

However, there were some subtle problems with context restoration when calling functions, in particular multiple functions in a row. At some point, I think I got the problems fixed when debugging Slic for Stan (I recall adding a Slic break statement to activate the in-program Slic debug window, and inspecting the context stack with the MSVC debugger), but I was too busy with other things to test it properly and commit the modifications.

Comment

While I am still stuck with my own Mod (and don't have much time to care for it) I played around a bit with the new Alex Scenario and found it quite enjoyable. I felt the need to speed it up a bit by making units much cheaper (by ~ 50%) and buildings -- well: also cheaper (by ~ 33,33%). Still it seems to me that the AI are too busy building city improvements and they always fall short on units (but it might as well be related to the mod_CanCityBuildUnit-framework in the SLIC which I haven't yet examined).

A rather strange observation: While good old barbs are becoming a real danger not only because they dispose of a big number of units, but also because they form big stacks and rally before attacking, the Persians - even when they have a lot of units - are no real danger because they somehow refuse to attack with entire armies: Once I had them attack me in a city with 9 single units in a row, and this happened repeatedly. While this was more or less normal with the original game I would not have expected this behaviour with the AE - maybe something needs to get adjusted (adapted to the AE) in the goals/strategies-settings .

But otherwise it's a really fine scenario which I like to replay every here and then and the new version makes Alex's world certainly more interesting. It also proofs that you don't necessarily need an ultra-gigantic map for a world that's worth being conquered

But now for the main scenario conversion question: I applied all the fixes mentioned in the posts above, among these adding the "ICON_ORDER_UPGRADE"-line to uniticon.txt. This provides a gamestart with no warnings, but it leads to a major problem with saved games: As soon as I want to reload from autosave or from regular save the message about not having found "ICON_ORDER_UPGRADE" in the icon database reappears and after I press "continue" (twice) the game crashes to desktop. I also tried to /reloadslic and /resetstrings, save the scenario, and restart a new game with no luck. Preliminary solution: never quit the game. But a proper solution would be much appreciated .
      The modding knowledgebase: CTP2 Bureau (with CTP2 AE Modding Wiki). Modern Times Mod (work in progress): MoT-Mod for CTP2.

Comment

I can't get the Alex scenario to run at all. I get all kinds of ICON_XXX not found in the database. Looks like all the main players, i.e. Alex, Darius, etc.

Comment

This is the version I am playing with the AE -- it starts without errors, but saved games may not be resumed, because at this point the "ICON_UPGRADE"-error reappears and inevitably crashes the game. Note: units and buildings are much cheaper in this version.
          The modding knowledgebase: CTP2 Bureau (with CTP2 AE Modding Wiki). Modern Times Mod (work in progress): MoT-Mod for CTP2.

Comment

Working...
          X