Do Christians Fear Death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Christians Fear Death?

I gather that the decidedly small item we name 'death' is taboo in the modern capitalist world world order.

In any case, our way is the way of the strong individualist. But what happens to the individualist when he or she is in the process of dying?

The dead must then pass unto the great unknown collective, known as - the dead.

How does the individualist cope with that?

What are your feelings about Death, and do you fear it?

Also I am wondering how it must be to know that you are dying, but you can't do anything about it.

I don't fear dying. What I do fear is the reprocussions my death will have on others.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I don't.

Comment

it's funny when you look at how philosophies dealt with death and the contradictory stances they took... so many philosophies have said do not even think of death (obviously because it'll make everything seem so futile and make you depressed) yet at the same time said keep the knowledge that you will be gone soon in the back of your mind. Kind of like don't think of death so you will embrace life but keep the fact that your life is short in the back of your mind so you will further embrace life.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Good point Speer.

That is actually quite interesting. In any case you don't have to be a nihilist to accept the consequences.

And, if we in this world, we are to seek out happiness for ourselves, then we must bring happiness with us in death?

Comment

yeah it's actually crazy how common that idea is in philosophies. Buddhism, Stoicism, Nietzscheanism, and Existentialism all went into that stuff explicitly and i'm sure many other philosophies have as well.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Fearing 'death'

Fearing 'life'
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Christians who believe in hell and think they're going there when they die must be terrified
                CSPA

Comment

Last edited by loinburger; October 15, 2004, 21:56.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Ok. Say if a Priest visits a dying person, and this dying person says that he is fearful that he is going to hell.

It could be Stalin for instance.

What would the priest say to him.

I am looking for precise scriptures here.

Comment

ever heard of priests or pastors talking to a man before he is executed?

Comment

What do they say?

Comment

Loinburger.

The 'strong individualist' was satire.

But I am happy that he took it as a man.

Comment

I don't get how people in Calvinist denominations (Presbyterians, etc.) get by, I would be in constant fear of going to hell even if i'm a super-religious and charitable person.

Comment

Originally posted by Tripledoc
                              Loinburger.

The 'strong individualist' was satire.

But I am happy that he took it as a man.
                              I seem to have misunderstood the intent of your thread. Troll away.
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X