This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Graphics

As i posted in the other forum me and rich are working on which cultures should be for each time period. We're basing off the tech model because each diff cultural type will have diff ways at looking at the same tech so that i think it would also be app. to use the same one or similar one we come up with.
    Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
    Mitsumi Otohime
    Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Unit Graphics

[Edit 3/17/01 by Mark]
    The important proceeding discussion to which John alludes is the old Graphics Thread that the BB software ate! A backup copy now graces our web site . It has a lot of good ideas on where we should go for both the map and unit graphics in Clash, although nothing final has been decided on most issues. This current thread will make more sense to you if you at least skim the old Graphics Thread first. If you want to talk about map graphics, this thread is not the right place. You should go to the Map Graphics thread.

Let's get these vital graphics specifications discussions going again!

[/Edit]

Well, lets try this again. I suppose if your new the best bet would be to read the archived thread, and if your not to try and remember all that went before.

I'm moving flat and working double hard for the next couple of weeks, so there won't be much new to look at for that period. So, before I next put pen to paper to draw the new set of TFs I would welcome any and all suggestions. Get them in early to give them the best chance of inclusion in the next set of TF trial graphics.

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited March 17, 2001).]
    www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Building from the culture list on the map graphics I think that military graphics will be very different up to the napeoleonic wars, thereafter I would think everything would be pretty much the same. Diplomats and caravans (are we having them?) would be different up to the present day. I think everymodern army has looked the same since the end of the first world war. I'm no historian though, so if anyone thinks that there are distinct differences that I'm not crediting please let me know.
      www.neo-geo.com

Comment

There ARE some differences between armies today - although I may be biased in that opinion since I wore the uniform of one of the armies and was trained to identify the other guys' uniforms and vehicles There is certainly a difference between western (US and western European) and east-bloc (Soviet-Sino) uniforms and weapons. During WWII, there were noticable differences as well, although it's more a measure of degree than of huge differences (if that sentence makes any sense!) In general, I agree with your statement that there were bigger difference until the late 1800's...I still think that we could design different unit icons through to the present, however, to add some flavor to the game Not 20 types/cultures, initially, though!
        Paul

Comment

OK Paul, so would it the different icons be based on government type after Napoleon rather than on culture?
          www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Hmmm....Good question! Need to ponder that one. Anyone else have a take on this?
            Paul

Comment

I had one idea that I think is decent recently. Specifically, I think our units should have a slight right-left bias to them, basically a facing. This would allow us to show the player, through the facing of the unit, which general direction the TF is heading in. It would also allow to opposing forces (if we can figure out how to put them in the same square) to look confrontational. I don't think that the "facing" should be really strong, just enough to make the direction clear. We can just mirror-image the TF icons on the fly.
              Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
              A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
              Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

What about North-South movement?
                www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Well, strictly N or S isn't helped, but 6 outa' 8 ain't bad!
                  A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Mark, I can't help feeling accurate intelligence is pretty important in a war, I wonder if six out of eight is good enough. What if they looked out of the screen and the banners used to denote TF strength trailed in the direction they had come from? All eight directions could be shown that way, although perhaps not at all zoom levels.
                    www.neo-geo.com

Comment

OK, well then I'll await a proposal for something that's not as tacky as an arrow

BTW If you can get me a ship (trireme preferred) that you're not embarassed to show by a week from now it would help me in getting demo 4 ready.

Cya,

Mark

Comment

Stupid question #42,234:

In a game with this time scale, is unit facing really going to be utilized? A unit can change facing in a day, or a week. How long will a 'turn' be?

Unit facing is a tactical thing. The combat in this game seems more 'strategic'.

Without a tactical combat system I don't see unit facing being relevant.

Comment

Hiya:

Facing here is meant as a convenience for the Player. So you don't have to remember "Was I sending this group in the direction of Seville, or Istanbul?"

Comment

F_smith: I've had the same stupid question in the back of mind too...I've been afraid to pose it because of the can of worms that it opens. Now that it's wide open unit facing isn't the only tidbit of information that would be of value to a player. FE unit formation is almost as important as facing direction. In any case, I tend to agree that this is a tactical point, and not a strategic one. I think that a lot of the discussions on trade routes also border on tactical vs. strategic scale, but that's for a different forum! A possible solution would be to indicate the facing and formation (if that's even to be included in the military model) in a separate dialogue for those maniacs that choose to micromanage the military (THAT's one of the few areas that I choose to MM!) Any comments, Mark or John?
                            Paul

Comment

Thanks, Mark:

My mistake. Sorry. Makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X