Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rome: Total War is Out

Game is out and I have a copy.

Having never played the first two Total War games, my only real response right now is the following:

Information Overload

In non sumarized form:

As with MoO3, I find that this game belongs in a category of relatively rare games where I am forced to take one, more likely two, evenings just to sit down and read the manual, the read me's, and any information I can obtain regarding even the most basic elements of strategy.

Thankfully, UNLIKE MoO3, I've already played the tutorial (they actually have one!!!) and it definately makes this game OBVIOUSLY very very cool. I've also fought two custom battles on top of playing those in the demo and the tutorial, just for kicks. I wasn't really sure what the devil I was doing for the most part, but at least I could see that this is going to be a really cool game once I figure the whole bloody thing out.

I'm looking forward to getting a grasp on this game and really starting to play it.

Oh, and one other thing to note. The manual (and the promotions for the game) say that you can play the Imperial Campaign as any of the factions Roman and Non-Roman (though victory conditions are different for the Non-Roman factions). Maybe I'm just missing it, but I didn't see the option to select anything other than the three Roman factions for the Imperial Campaign option. Perhaps it's under another button?
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

You have to unlock the non-Roman campaigns by either winning the Roman campaign as one of the families or beating that particular non-Roman faction in the actual Roman campaign.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Awesome game so far. I went and brought it today (was gonna pre-order it but discovered it was already out) Came home, installed and started playing the prologue. Seems pretty cool. Typical total war in that battles are huge and epic. The campaign map is very cool in 3D and the wealth of empire type detail is superb.

So far it gets /

With one of my flatmates we loaded up a lan game. All I gotta say from that experience is that War Elephants rock. I was a faction that had war elephants as a part of their force and well thats almost all you need. (well at least with a couple of people not really familiar with the game). Watching those war elephants just bowl through the enemy is hellishly satisfying. Just gotta be careful with them though as they will go through your own troops to get to them, as I found out on a couple of occassions. But yeah I'd recommend this game on initial impressions.

Anyone else got it? Thinking about getting it? Thoughts?

Comment

I bought R:TW yesterday. The game is indeed fantastic. The campaign map is beautiful. I could not put the game down. I played for over 2 hours and I could have kept playing for another 3 hours easily. The game is so addictative and engaging. I love how your general gives a speech before the battle. They are really good little speeches. When my general was yelling something about "saving Rome from the barbarian horde" and your troops cheer, I found myself cheering with them. It's little things like that really add atmosphere to the game. Oh and the music is wonderful.

I just need to learn better battle tactics cause I really suck as a Roman general. The funny thing is that sometimes I auto-resolve a battle and I win when I thought I'd lose or I play a battle myself because I outnumber the enemy and figure it will be an easy battle, and I lose. Guess I'll read the manual and play some more practice custom battles.
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Morale is actually really key in battles. You can be outnumbered but if you manage to get the enemy to break formation and run, you'll probably win. Conversely, if the enemy manages to get you to break formation and run, it can be very tough to turn your troops around to win. So in that sense, battles are very "realistic". In a lot of ways, battles come down to who will cut and run first.
          'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
          G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

When my general was yelling something about "saving Rome from the barbarian horde" and your troops cheer, I found myself cheering with them.

nice touch indeed.

/me mumbers something about getting a new vidcard as priority number1
            Last edited by alva; September 24, 2004, 12:53.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho

Anyone else got it? Thinking about getting it? Thoughts?
              Comes out the UK on the 1/10, waiting.............

Comment

Hey wow. We get something before the UK does. What the hell is up with that.

Comment

Finally a great thread in the other games forum!!!!! No offense to the other threads but those games just don't interest me.

Anyway on to why I'm posting here. How does the game perform and what are your hardware specs.

I have a P4 1.8GHZ with a Geforce (64mb) and 512mb system ram. Medieval Total War ran ok on my system with little or no lag.
                  I know what the recommended system requirements are but I'm looking to hear what real world personal experiences are.

I want this game but am hesitating because if my system can't handle it I need to upgrade first.
                  signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Yout system should be fine, I can't remeber where but the developers have said it needs similar spec to MTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
                      All I gotta say from that experience is that War Elephants rock. I was a faction that had war elephants as a part of their force and well thats almost all you need.
                      I'm pretty positive that war elephants won't be that great once you've got a hang on the game. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they're worshipped by the n00bs, but that more experienced players will be delighted to see them in the opposing ranks because they'll know how to turn them and to ensure they only cause havoc in their own ranks, not those of the experienced player's troops. Once the secret's out with regard to being able to "turn" elephants, then they will become more of a liability than a potent weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york

I'm pretty positive that war elephants won't be that great once you've got a hang on the game. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they're worshipped by the n00bs, but that more experienced players will be delighted to see them in the opposing ranks because they'll know how to turn them and to ensure they only cause havoc in their own ranks, not those of the experienced player's troops. Once the secret's out with regard to being able to "turn" elephants, then they will become more of a liability than a potent weapon.
                        Just like they were in ancient times. After the novelty weared off, war elephants were not really that effective anymore, and were disabled easily. I have to say though, in that tutorial, those elephants were impossible to defeat. I just let them charge and maul the enemy, without having losses

Morale is actually really key in battles. You can be outnumbered but if you manage to get the enemy to break formation and run, you'll probably win. Conversely, if the enemy manages to get you to break formation and run, it can be very tough to turn your troops around to win. So in that sense, battles are very "realistic". In a lot of ways, battles come down to who will cut and run first.
                        Great, because that's what a battle comes down to: who runs first... Which is why disciplined armies always had an advantage
                        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Darn - I have to wait for a UK release

Better than waiting for a DE release though

Erm... make me HOT for this game! I want some Battle Reports and screenshots and stuff!

-Jam
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Screenshots! http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/anttinor/images/rtw/

Alas, only from the demo. I'll get to play the game soon enough though, as in a few hours, and I'll flood you with info.
                            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I have to admit to a certain amount of drooling.

-Jam
                              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Working...
                              X