No announcement yet.

PETA is filled with idiots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, despite being idiots, they are putting ordinary people behind bars if they mistreat their animals in any way. The status of animals as having the same rights as humans is almost there.

Now, if these same people would focus on the suffering of fetuses.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

PATU- people for the anaesthetised treatment of the unborn?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie

Also: I would prefer if you didn't tell me what to do as it makes me think you're a complete nobend. And I don't like thinking my fellow posters are nobends.
        hrmm. But earlier you said:

Everyone: Please take your arguments and semantics up with actual members of PETA.
        I assume your earlier post doesn't qualify you as a nobend in your own eyes? Perhaps you don't like that I didn't say please? Very well. I'll rephrase my post to say

"Please don't rush to the defense of PETA if you don't agree with their views."

What's more I'll add that you should feel free to simply to take it under advisement. I merely intended to explain why you found yourself in the position of being jumped on by those who have great disdain for PETA (ie: rational and sane people). You may do as you wish of course.

as to this:
        There is a difference between rushing to someone's defense and saying someone is doing a poor job of exposing a certain group as being a bunch of loons. The opening post of Tuberski's did not provide a good enough reason to laugh at PETA (Subsequent posts did). The fact that they mentioned slaves and animals in the same thread of though does not make "Hurr hurr they think black people are animals" a logical extension of the quote he posted. I would be rolling my eyes at attempting to mock them with as pathetic a gag as "carrots have feelings too".
        I think you make a valid point that it is possible to make a weak attack even on an easy target like PETA. However if you don't want your effort to refute the weak attack to appear to be an endorsement of PETA why not offer a stronger attack of your own?

Edit: removed sentence that failed to recognise Gibsie's stated recognition of PETA as worthy of contempt.
        Last edited by Geronimo; September 23, 2004, 16:16.

Comment

Edit: maybe I'm misinterpreting your tone. Probably. I shall accept you didn't mean to come off like a nobend, and were in fact offering genuine advice.

Comment

Edit: maybe I'm misinterpreting your tone. Probably. I shall accept you didn't mean to come off like a nobend, and were in fact offering genuine advice.
            My tone usually comes off poorly. I probably should practice strategic placment of more smilies.

Comment

mmm-- I had steak for lunch yummm

Come to think of it I had steak for lunch yesterday too-- double yumm
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

If animals are supposed to do what comes naturally, well pass the beef--humans naturally eat meat .. . and if we happen to be good enough at it to "hunt" well, thats just too bad.

The only animal right to me is the right to not be subject to unnecessarily cruel treatment.
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

PETA... I just laugh whenever I hear about them.. they're a bunch of lunatics..
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Actually, there is logic in this PETA statesment.
                    Just that the civilisation wouldn't be possible without the use of animals, and I doubt if it is possible now.

Originally posted by Giancarlo
                    PETA... I just laugh whenever I hear about them.. they're a bunch of lunatics..
                    Some time ago most people would say that about ones demanding respect for homosexuality...
                    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                    Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                      Actually, there is logic in this PETA statesment.
                      Just that the civilisation wouldn't be possible without the use of animals, and I doubt if it is possible now.

Some time ago most people would say that about ones demanding respect for homosexuality...
                      This might not be the best comparison. Homosexuals can speak up for their rights but animals never have and even if they could we can't be certain what they would say. In particular I really question whether animals such as dairy cattle would be happier set loose on the range. I think it more likely they would be homesick there.

We can't ask animals what they really want so the best thing to do is to spare them from cruellty. Comparisons to oppressed peoples who have been perfectly capable of pleading their cases are just invalid.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

This might not be the best comparison. Homosexuals can speak up for their rights but animals never have and even if they could we can't be certain what they would say.
                        When an animal tries to run away and squeaks or whatever when it is being killed, I find it enough meaningful.

In particular I really question whether animals such as dairy cattle would be happier set loose on the range. I think it more likely they would be homesick there.
                        THOSE ones yes, because they were brought up on a ranch. That is a bad point. A better would be that in the wild, they would be vulnerable to a number of other predators, who wouldn't even try to kill them in a humanitar way.

Comparisons to oppressed peoples who have been perfectly capable of pleading their cases are just invalid.
                        Of course the comparison isn't full. The only reason why I've used it is that I was pointing it to our dear Giancarlo
                        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment

Penn & Teller are fun. For such an opinionated show, they're pretty rigorous and balanced, unlike some others (cough cough, Michael Moore).

But yes, PETA are complete hypocrites of the worst order. Why is it that when a PETA member gets diabetes, it's okay for the animal to help them keep fighting? But for any other random member of society, it's immoral? Why is it murder for the public health departments to euthanize animals (Strictly by neccessity, and if PETA adopted animals instead of freeing them, there'd be less of it), but okay for PETA?
                          All syllogisms have three parts.
                          Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Maybe they give the animals a final request or a lavish last meal before they do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                              Because we hunt with tools. If we'd run after a gazelle, and rip it's throat open to kill it, then rip chunks of meat from the carcas to eat it...

No problem for PETA.
                              Oh good, I've still got something to do on weekends then.
                              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Why doesn't PETA ever address the problem of animals eating other animals? I mean, if boy is a dog is a fish is a cat, then shouldn't we start holding all them anim people accountable for their murderous ways, too? It doesn't need to be a dog-eat-dog world, people!

I'm sure that lions would start on a vegetarian diet if PETA folks went to ask them nicely. A vegetarian diet consisting of vegetables, too, not of vegetarians.
                                "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                                "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Working...
                                X