game crashing in late play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• game crashing in late play

I haven't had this problem before. I am near the end of the game and it keeps crashing on me. Sometimes it happens during the middle of my turn, but it also happens while the computer is making its moves.

I am playing Monarch level on a large world. The other civs keep firing nuclear weapons at each other. The crashes seem to occur more often at this time.

I just started playing at this level, and this is the first time there has been so much fighting. Is this common?

I have tried compacting my disc, it doesn't seem to have any effect. I have had the game crash in the past when I am examining military strength and I click the choices too fast.

I have Windows XP on a 3 year old Dell, with plenty of power.

Thanks for any help.
    Lori

There have been many reports of crashes using F3 with large unit counts, I have had it happen.

I wonder if something else is at play as far as the war crash goes. The last game I played was a huge map at sid and after I won, I played on to eliminate all civs (don't know why, just wanted to test some nukes stuff).

Anyway, America had 1600 units and we both had nukes. I had no crashes at all. So was this a home map map? I have DL scenarios that crashed on me in the past and I have no idea what was wrong with the maps.

If you want to post a save, I will see if it crashes, if you have a save before the crash. I don't want to have to play a bunch of turns, just hit enter and see it or at least only play that turn.

Comment

I was using a computer generated map. I can't post any saves because I finished the game and deleted everything. These crashes were not F3 crashes. They were similar in that the ones that occurred during my game play happened when I was using one of the advisory boards, especially if I was moving quickly.

I finished playing by making sure I didn't click too fast on the screens and by saving frequently.

I had 5 civs left, including me, and the Ottomans were just bombing the heck out of everyone.

Also, I forgot to mention this before but I am playing the PTW expansion.

Lori

Comment

Crashes during Industrial Age

My Civ 3: Conquests crashes each time I reach the "Modern Times" and click on the Science Advisor (F6) - the game crashes and ends. It will do the same thing if try to look at the scientific flow chart when changing research goal.

This has happened, now, each game played under Conquests. It didn't happen under Civ3 or Play the World.

I have the latest version (1.22) and am using a machine with plenty of memory & power.

Each game had a map & scenario I made myself.

Any ideas as to the problem? It is so frustrating that I'm not sure I want to start any other game until I feel I actually may FINISH the game.

Comment

Have you tried using the arrows to go to the Modern Era tech tree before actually entering that era? Does it crash then?

I'm sure the answer to that might narrow things down, though how I'm not sure.

Comment

Yea, if you goto the modern era using ANY method it crashes. Believe me, I've tried it all.

Does Atari have any tech support?

Comment

Working...
            X