Space Rangers at amazon for 32 euros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Rangers at amazon for 32 euros

Now you can order international (Eng+Fr+Rus) version of Space Rangers from amazon.

It's my favorite game, one of the best Space-RPGs ever made.

Read more at the official site and forum
    money sqrt evil;
    My literacy level are appalling.

are there any english reviews anywhere?
    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

The main publisher (1C) and developers (ElementalGames) are in Russia and Russian publisher banned any English PR as 1C is afraid that if PRed developers will move from Russia.

I guess that somebody here can translate french description. I'll translate review of ag.ru soon.

Now in brief:

Props:
      This game incapsulates the best features of Elite and Star Control 2 and adds tons of new features. It gives you real feel of freedom in space.

Although it is 2D it looks superb (see screenshots at official site)

Non-linear gameplay and storyline. Real freedom, not limeted as in freelancer

Great balance of economy

Hundreds of KBs of great Sci-fi text: storyline, dialog, quests

Really humane AI, sometimes you'll say: "Oh God, am I playing with real human or just with AI?"

Original turn based combat-as-you-travel system.

Tons of upgrades, development, artifacts.

Expected 40 hours of play, great replayability

Cons:
      Badly implemented hyperspace (not the main part but significant part of the game)

Sometimes repair costs are really imbalanced.

Fully 2D (although really nice-looking)
      Last edited by muxec; September 17, 2004, 06:12.
      money sqrt evil;

Comment

The writing isn't great, at least not from the screen shots I saw. Maybe it's great in Russian but something got lost in the translation. All fine for an action game, but bad writing kills RPGs.

I'm not trying to be negative. But looking through the website. I couldn't come up with one reason to buy it.

Oh and about Freelancer, when I was playing the main mission, I jokingly called it linearlancer.

I've downloaded a Mod (evolutions, Open SP) for it. The mod removes the main story ( I already did the main story a long time ago) and allows you to just explore, ship and kill through-out their vast universe. The Mod also adds a few things. Quite alot of fun.

Side Note: I was looking at the screens from SR2 and thought they were part of the game. I was thinking that looks 3d.
        Last edited by Moral Hazard; September 17, 2004, 08:21.
        Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Moral Hazard
          The writing isn't great, at least not from the screen shots I saw. Maybe it's great in Russian but something got lost in the translation. All fine for an action game, but bad writing kills RPGs.

I'm not trying to be negative. But looking through the website. I couldn't come up with one reason to buy it.

Oh and about Freelancer, when I was playing the main mission, I jokingly called it linearlancer.

I've downloaded a Mod (evolutions, Open SP) for it. The mod removes the main story ( I already did the main story a long time ago) and allows you to just explore, ship and kill through-out their vast universe. The Mod also adds a few things. Quite alot of fun.

Side Note: I was looking at the screens from SR2 and thought they were part of the game. I was thinking that looks 3d.
          English site is semi-abandoned, the last major update was before the release.

The game was considered game of he year by most of Russian reviewers. That's why publisher fears that if PRed developers will leave Russia

If you have bittorent download this game to try it.

Note for those who try: In hyperspace combat move backwards so you can fire at your enemy and escape shots
          money sqrt evil;

Comment

bittorent

What's that?

To be honest though, I won't try it. I'm happy with Modded Freelancer for my space fix. As far RPGs I've got a short game called Morrowind to finish, by the time I finish that Bard's Tale and KOTOR2 will be out, and at least one them will be good.

Addendum: KOTOR2 is being designed by Obsidian (AKA most of the guys from Black Isle.)

Comment

The game was considered game of he year by most of Russian reviewers. That's why publisher fears that if PRed developers will leave Russia

Does Russia produce alot of games, for Russians? I'd imagine that 98.7% percent of the stuff would be pirated.

Comment

shame there are no real english reviews. it sounds like a cool game. i have bit torrent...

Comment

bit torrent:

What's that? P2P prog I presume.

Comment

just google it. it's a fantastic p2p program. it's really great for files that are hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Moral Hazard

Does Russia produce alot of games, for Russians? I'd imagine that 98.7% percent of the stuff would be pirated.
                      Russian publishers sell Russian version for reasonable prices, about 3$ for Space Rangers(Russian version only), SR2 (Russian only) would probably cost 8$. It's a reasonable price, western prices of the games are too close to people's monthly salaries.

OK, bittorent it and review it and if you like it buy it. Reviewing is player's responsibility.
                      Last edited by muxec; September 18, 2004, 07:57.
                      money sqrt evil;

Comment

i'll make sure to put up a review if i play it and like it(probably buy it too then). maybe even a rather lengthy one like i did with sudg. we'll see...

Comment

The game developers agreed to hold an official English review competition. I'm the contest co-manager and maybe a judge so if you have questions write me
                          money sqrt evil;

Comment

Now developers announce that trimed source code will be released
                            money sqrt evil;

Comment

Working...
                            X