Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• * Proposed Process for Clash Project - Team Members, Please Read / Comment *

Here's a crude first step at a timeline for the Clash project.

We need some solid targets to aim for to make sure we are doing the minimum possible of "spinning our wheels". I realize there are some problems in finding a good process for a part-time distributed project like Clash. Also, we are trying to use everone's available time as much as possible. For this reason, IMO, things need to run a bit more "in parallel" than your standard business type project. I've put out a rough suggestion of how I think our process should work in the near future. Please suggest modifications of any parts you feel need it, and then we'll follow the final process we agree upon. I haven't been in a large design/coding project like this professionally. I'm sure I've left several things out. Some of the things I say may be boneheaded or impractical. Just let me know which these are, and propose your modifications. We must, however, have a process at least for the Near future agreed upon basically Now .

I use words like 'final' in here at some points. Final of course will mean final in the plan. But if the feature as we've designed it Doesn't Work well for the player, then we'll have to reconsider. I also am a big fan of the 'Sid' design philosophy of getting the game 'playable' ASAP to avoid Big mistakes, like game elements that just plain suck . This contradicts standard Software design dogma as I understand it. I put in a strong vote for this particular 'Sid' philosophy, what do other think? Another bit of complexity, is that doing it the Sid way means trying to implement some things sooner, to encapsulate the 'big' picture, which may take some additional planning and handshaking.

Some other useful thoughts come from F_Smith that I think are very appropriate :
    1) In general I've found a 'team/task force' approach far more effective for writing large code projects.

A team of 3-5 people is far more productive than 3-5 individuals. And far more creative, and just about everything else you can measure. Perhaps it might be best to assemble a 'rules' team, a 'programming' team, and a 'grafix' team, and so on, and have them approach the tasks in their area of responsibility as they feel best fits their skills? If they prefer to work individually on some things and collectively on others, so be it, but leave that up to them?

2) The most imporant bit of business if this project is ever to be completed is an 'Architecture' meeting A.S.A.P.

Any project bigger than 3 people *must* be preceeded with a serious meeting between the 'functionality generating' folks (graphics, rules, etc) and the 'functionality implementing' folks (coders).

The coders must be appraised of a good vision of what the end product will be like -- in detail -- so that they can hammer out a good architecture plan for the final product that they all then choose to stick to. The details are not half as important as the coordination between the programmers. They must be thinking on the same page, period, so that no time is wasted on recoding simple pieces to match.

This plan will not be cast in stone, and will certainly evolve, but a project can truly be cut in half by getting it 90% right up front. Even minor architecture changes late in the game can require many, many hours of B.S. work going thru files you've already thought you'd finished.

We really must consider an online 'meeting' via ICQ or some such as soon as is feasible.
    Even though there are names on the Duke (coordinators) list, lets not get separated into chimneys. I'm with 'F' that things can be done by flexible teams in many cases, and that we shouldn't get overly hung up on who's 'officially' doing what.

So the question is, when is the most productive time to have the first meeting 'F' descrbes? Look at the proposal below, and see where you think it best fits. (ICQ would be great. Those of you who don't have it you can get it free at icq.com)

Near-term targets:

STEP 1:

Agreement on high-level mechanics / specs for each game element: Main Interface, Map, Unit, and other Artwork, Military, Economy, Government, Technology, Culture, Customization, AI.

I propose we do this by 6/5/99. That means all Dukes (coordinators) must have high-level proposals done by 5/30/99. [Added Later: As manu suggests these should discuss the interface between the models and the player, and in a more genral way, how the player will interact with the game. So every model designer should provide ideas for the interface between his model and the player with his model for the first step.] Criticism of these proposals should be open to everyone, but if you want to change something radically you must present a solid counter-proposal.

We are short on Dukes. If anyone sees an area they want to take charge of in the thread "Duke (coordinator in charge) and Goals List" let me know. I will do all I can to handle any left-over areas.

Please start looking Now at the major game models that are posted if you haven't already. Criticism will be much more likely to be reflected in the final design if it gets in Before 5/30/99.

Question... Is this timing ok? If we don't push, we run the risk of just talking until the project implodes as Druid2 says...

STEP 2:

Once we have the high-level mechanics / specs document we can take the first real look at the specific interfaces for different game elements, and the coding design spec. Handshaking between the major "functional" groups needs to take place here. In parallel, the Dukes in charge of Military... models will need to, with their teams, put specifics on all the generalities previously in their models. Some of the simpler models may be ready fairly soon and could move on to Step 3 ahead of the general schedule.

[Added 6/20/99: I'm adding one more request for the end of Step 2. I propose that Dukes should try to figure out the shape of a barest first implementation for their area to go into our first alpha version. The things we should strive for are a relatively simple sub-section of each area, possibly without any interconnections to the other game models for those areas where its possible. For example, in the economics area we might do only a basic system with no specials, no merchants, and with the only player control being the overall tax rate. The only things one could buy/build would be development of sites, and production of weapons.]

I propose we finish STEP 2 by 6/30/99. Some parts will be finished before this. Those things that get to the right level of specificity before the deadline will move into early STEP 3 Activity.

STEP 3
    Each game model (Military...) is basically done at this point, barring further revisions. One thing the 'game model' designers could do at this point is to help with strategies for the AI to use in their part of the game. Artwork should be getting into full production mode. Interface design for all the game areas should be finalized early in Step 3. Design for Coding at Modules and interfaces between modules level should be completed early in Step 3. [edited 6/10 by me because previous statement made no sense] AI for the specific game models can be planned out here too. Handshaking beteen game design, art design, and both interface and 'guts' coding team needs to be strong here too. For each area, when Step 3 is done the respective teams / sub-teams can go on to Step 4. By the end of Step 3 we will have covered the contents of a solid design doc, and will finalize the doc.

I propose we finish STEP 3 by 7/30/99.

STEP 4

When the early part of step 3 is done IMO we enter a series of loops if we're doing the 'Sid' philosophy mentioned above. When a significant amount of new coding and/or artwork has been done, the package is assembled and we see what its like. Team members at this point give each pre-alpha version a good running through. People not involved in coding or art will be especially valuable for this.

I propose we do a cycle of STEP 4 every month or so... [Added Later: As pointed out by Druid2 finishing the first run thru in a month is unrealistic. The first pass thru will probably be more like 2-3 months. See my next post below.]

I haven't even covered documentation and numerous other things... but I will close it here for now and throw the topic open for discussion. It must, however, be Quick discussion at least on the earlier steps...

BTW I am guessing a reasonable target for a beta for distribution beyond the team will be in 1/2000.

-Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited June 10, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited June 20, 1999).]
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Does Step 3: "Game model is basically done." Mean that the design work for the model is done? or that the programming for the pre-alpha stage is done?

The former, I'd assume.

You need a step 3.5 before you start the "Sid" iterations. That is the actual coding of the modules in accordance with the finalized design AND the integration of all the DEBUGGED modules.

Accomplishing all of step 3.5 in just one month, considering the virtual-team will be ambitious. You'll need to have a *single* module integrator, to put it together and then your team of developers will pound on the integrated thing for a while. Then report the integration bugs and module level bugs. At that point, I think you've got alpha-1 for the first round of "sid"loops.

Comment

You're right, Step 3: "Game model is basically done." is just the design work for the model.

"Step 3.5" Yeah, the First step is a Big one on Step 4. You're right that the first loop will probably take significantly longer than the subsequent 1-month ones. Perhaps 2-3 months. But I do literally mean that all the functionality isn't there at the end of the first loop. As I interpret the 'Sid' philosophy there should be just enough to do a few fun things and check them out. You get a chance to see if it feels Fun. I used this approach in my coding on Clash so far, and was very pleased with the way it worked. That's another coding issue we need to address: how much of my 'Legacy' code can we use?
      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Bump

Comment

Come on everyone, let me know what you think of the outline and timing. Silence Implies Consent

-Mark

Comment

OK, I agree with these timelines although I'm not sure I will be able to fit in them...
            Mark, IMO u forgot an important point : there are the models, some are pretty ready (or will be for the 5/30/99), but I'm not sure we have enough discussed the interface between the models and the player, and in a more genral way, how the player will interact with the game.
            My suggestion is every model designer should provide ideas for the interface between his model and the player with his model for the first step.

Comment

Step 2:
              We have a few programmers. When we have the system outlines, I think we need to produce a program system plan about the whole project in outlines. After we can read all the plans and later we can finish with a system plan which is the best or contain the best parts and ideas of the system plans.
              STEP 3:
              Mark, I know to write the AI system is 100 or 1000 times more difficult than to write the file reader and writer part of the game. So I think we never can be exact syncron each other. Somebody, who is a kind of leader and can write little glue programs between the functions (classes) are very important for the succes of the project. This guy can produce a working alpha version even if some parts are missing, so we can check the system without waiting 2 - 3 weeks or more to get the classes from somebody who late.

I think the deadlines are realistic.

Blade Runner
              Blade

Comment

Personally I can´t promise I´ll finish Step 1 on time in both of the categories I´m working on, but as the timeline for Step 2 is pretty roomy I´m confidant that I can keep up even if I´ll be a bit behind schedule (a week at the most) for Step 1. I have no comments on Steps 3 and 4 as I have no knowledge of programming, thus no idea how long it takes.

Comment

Thanks for all of your responses.

H: Yeah, I may lag on Step 1 a little also, but we need the solid goals to keep us moving .

-Mark

Comment

Hi All:

I'm adding one more request for the end of Step 2. I propose that Dukes should try to figure out the shape of a barest first implementation for their area to go into our first alpha version. The things we should strive for are a relatively simple sub-section of each area, possibly without any interconnections to the other game models for those areas where its possible. For example, in the economics area we might do only a basic system with no specials, no merchants, and with the only player control being the overall tax rate. The only things one could buy/build would be development of sites, and production of weapons.

-Mark

Comment

We should begin to implement some "serious" graphics early - mainly to make a good impression on people seeing the project for the first time.

So, all programmers, just tell what graphics you need - and I sincerely hope we find some ambitioned graphics artists soon (no way for me doing all that on my own, sorry).
                      Well, if we took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy, would they?

Comment

I'll take a stab at that:

I think, first, we need a 'spash screen' for the loading phase.

Second, we need a 'Game selection interface screen' background.

Third, we need to decide on a graphix format for map tiles. This is crucial, and a brain-breaker, to me. Help!!!

Comment

"F",

you sure that a splash screen should be important right now? I ask because I think a splash screen should have the same general style as e.g. the interface gfx, which in turn are largely determined by what is recognizable and feasable. So I'm afraid any splash screen done now would be done 100% differently lateron

As for the 'Game selection interface screen' background: For this - as for all other gfx jobs - I need a bit more than the general idea, i.e.:

- what exactly is to be done?
                          - how large can / must the area be?

The best thing would be if programmers who are in need of some gfx draw a crude sketch of what they would like to see - just the outlines and the different text / icon / button / info areas. The crude layout of all graphical game elements is mainly determined by their function - not before the programmer in charge has stated exactly what the gfx is to show, I (or any other graphics guy - erm... where ARE they???) can start working on it.

The graphics format of the map tiles:
                          I understand you mean the data format, not the actual size, right? But only you (and the other coders) can give the answer. My answer is clear:

16.7 M color TIF graphics (i.e. 24 bit bitmaps in memory).

Should that be too much for a decent speed, I'd settle with 65 k colors (16 bit bitmaps) and, if even that's too much, with 256-color gfx. Only thing I strongly recommend is to use a viewport of at least 65 k colors, so each tile / unit / icon / whatever gan bring its own palette with it.

NO, I repeat: NO jpg gfx (with the possible exception of large illustrations, filling half of the screen or more), because we need the details in those tiles and units, so we can't afford to use a lossy format. Bitmap with clearly defined pixels is the way to go.
                          Well, if we took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy, would they?

Comment

On the image format issue...

I've found an API that looks like it will work for 24-bit tiffs. I have started the new thread "Please, please could someone check to see if this API will handle TIFFs OK in Java?" requesting help in determining once and for all if we can do this, and if so how it times out.

-Mark

Comment

Hi:

[*]Was just thinking a splash screen would be the first thing they'd see, and would set the tone for the whole game. Perhaps it is too early. Ya'll tell me, because I've never been down this road before![*]The Game Selection Interface Screen would likely have 3 or 4 choices/buttons/tabs on it -- 'Load Game', 'New Game', 'Build Game' for sure, and maybe one other ('OnLine Game'?). What should that look like? How should we lay it out?[*]First, can I assume we're going to build the map out of 'tiles'? And I assume there will be 'Layers'? If so, how many types of tiles will there be? How many singular terrain types? How many combos? How will the combos work, layered or specially drawn? Shoreline tiles? Etc? I think we'll need this info to build map Image objects, and to create code to draw it to the screen very early in the process.[/list]
                                I hope I'm not being dense, and asking questions everyone else already knows the answer to. I've just never built an interface for a game before.

Comment

Working...
                              X