No Picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Picture

I am currently playing Civ III with the 1.07f patch. When I install any other patch or Conquests, I get sound but no picture. I've made it compatible with XP, but something is messed up. Any ideas?

I have been using XP since CivIII came out. The 1.07f patch is very far back. I would delete the whole thing (keep saves) and clear it from the registry.

Install CivIII, no patch, then C3C and see if it worked. If not contact them, be sure to check on drivers.

You do not need comp mode.

Comment

IIRC I had some minor trouble too with graphics on some early patch.
      No idea on wether it was 1.07 though.

Just try what Vxma suggested.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Well, thanks for the help, but I still have the same problem. Everything works fine up until the animation stops and you are supposed to get the next screen that asks you New Game, Load Game, ect. Then it goes blank. Conflict with the video card or the monitor I suppose, but it's strange that I get part of the game.

Comment

Obligatory question, but have you updated your video drivers?
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Yes, I have. The DirectX is fine. I am baffled.

Comment

Ok, I am playing! This is what got done on the computer.

Disabled onboard video card, installed drivers for specific monitor. Restarted system, installed game!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was lost.

Comment

onboard video :shudders:

anyway, have fun

Comment

I am fine with on board sound, but not video. Glad you are up and running.

Comment

It's good to have some onboard video/audio as back-up though.
                    I know I wanted it a couple of weeks ago when my vidcard went dada.

Comment

Hey, folks.

I've been googling around for most of today and yesterday trying to find the answer to a problem i'm having with Civ3, which seems to be the exact same problem Topaz had. YAY!

Problem is, i'm a little thick on the old computer knowledge side of things, and i'm not exactly sure what he did to fix it. Can somebody please dumb it down a little for me?

What do i have to do to solve this problem?

My computer specs:
                      Win XP Pro 2002
                      Pentium 3 550 mhz
                      384 MB Ram
                      GeForce 4 440 MX

I'm running Civ3, 1.07f version.

It's so frustrating that i can't play this game. I used to be able to play it on windows 98 a few years back with this same computer system. But now that i have XP it wont work for some strange reason. Help!

What happens is (as Topaz already said, but i'll say again anyway) i load the game, the monitor shuts off, then about 10 seconds later comes on again. I see the intro movie, then when it's time to see the main menu the monitor shuts off again, but i can still hear the menu music.

Comment

No love for old Nick?

Comment

The first thing to do is install the latest patch.
                          For Vanilla, that is 1.29f.
                          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I've had the same problem but with 1.29f. The solution was

get directx 9.x
                            be sure that your VC driver supports openGL

The directx upgrade removed the black screen and then I could see that the program was displaying a message that there was no openGL support
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Oooh... So i just have to get a VC driver that supports OpenGL? What is openGL anyways? And how do i make my computer support it. Hehe.

Comment

Working...
                              X